Archived Questions about Cross-training and Primary Work Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I have been working at Target for about 3 months now. I was hired in as a cashier with the intent of them moving me to Guest Services because of my certification in customer service. Well, I did just cashiering for a while and then they finally trained me at the Service Desk.. I love the service desk so much more and I'm so much better at it than cashiering because I'm active and able to do so many more thing. Well, I get scheduled there some and cashiering some which is cool. Yesterday I talked to HR about getting trained on Sales Floor because it would fill in all of the gaps of everything that I don't know about the store. They said yeah I could do it and she said she would get with the Clerical to put me on the list... Well, I have a couple of questions..

1. When I get trained over there, will I be scheduled in Cashiering, Service Desk, and Sales Floor? Or will it just be Cashiering and Service desk. I want it to be switched up so I can become really good at everything I do. HR said that since I am keyed in the system as guest services as my primary workplace, I have to spend 51% of my time up there. Does that mean the other 49% can be elsewhere?

2. If I really enjoy sales floor and everything, would it be possible to move there permanently? How would I go about doing this? The same goes for service desk. How could I be scheduled on service desk primarily? I checked eHR and it said my primary work center is cashier. How can I get that changed to either service desk or sales floor eventually if I wanted to pursue that?

I have learned so much since being put on service desk that it's ridiculous. I used to hate going to work because I knew nothing and I felt worthless. Now that I'm there, it's like I have learned so much and feel like I fit in. Even the managers and other team members are much friendlier now because I"m asking less questions and more independent. I am clueless on sales floor though, so I want to get that knowledge so I don't have to ask people if we carry this or that. I want to pursue in it and be my best self.

1. When I get trained over there, will I be scheduled in Cashiering, Service Desk, and Sales Floor? Or will it just be Cashiering and Service desk. I want it to be switched up so I can become really good at everything I do. HR said that since I am keyed in the system as guest services as my primary workplace, I have to spend 51% of my time up there. Does that mean the other 49% can be elsewhere?

2. If I really enjoy sales floor and everything, would it be possible to move there permanently? How would I go about doing this? The same goes for service desk. How could I be scheduled on service desk primarily? I checked eHR and it said my primary work center is cashier. How can I get that changed to either service desk or sales floor eventually if I wanted to pursue that?

I have learned so much since being put on service desk that it's ridiculous. I used to hate going to work because I knew nothing and I felt worthless. Now that I'm there, it's like I have learned so much and feel like I fit in. Even the managers and other team members are much friendlier now because I"m asking less questions and more independent. I am clueless on sales floor though, so I want to get that knowledge so I don't have to ask people if we carry this or that. I want to pursue in it and be my best self.

1. Yes, more than likely you'll just get one or two shifts a week in sales floor, at most. It depends on store needs. If they have an abundance of front end people, then you may see more shifts on the floor.

2. Yes, it's possible. It depends on your ETL-GE mostly. If he believes that you've done a good enough job at cashier and service desk to train elsewhere and take on a new role, then you could possibly be moved to that department. That said, Team Leads are trained on the idea of "right person, right place" which means if they see you as fitting better at service desk, don't expect to be moved out of there entirely, because ultimately they're looking out for business needs first.

It's good that you're trying to become more global. Do realize that there's way more to Target than sales floor and cashiering. Those jobs would be irrelevant if the flow team wasn't making sure product was getting stocked on the floor. Flow team wouldn't have anything to push if Instocks wasn't scanning outs and doing research. Instocks wouldn't have anything to scan if Plano didn't do their planograms. And nobody would be in the store at all if HR didn't make the schedule ;). All that to say, there's always more to learn.

Somebody in the chat was telling me that since I talked to HR, I shouldn't take their word about being cross-trained. Should I go to Clerical and talk to her myself and tell her my interest in cross-training there?

Your HRTM can't just start scheduling you without approval from the Team Leads. If you talked to your ETL-HR and they gave it their okay, then you'll just have to take their word for it that you'll be scheduled, and if it doesn't start within a few weeks, remind your ETL-HR again and ask when you'll start cross-training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back