Archived Questions related to DCPI amongst other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, hi all. Hope your Christmas was enjoyable and have a happy new year.

Now for my questions. Ok, so I sometimes get items at register that have no bar code or tag that I can see. Today (finally) my GSTL trained me that an item can have a DCPI code tucked away somewhere (like on a small tag inside of a shirt, but not all shirts have them). Anyone have a list of common spots for this to check? Also, sometimes I find items with plastic wrap around them and there are marker lines over the barcodes. I don't really know what that means, but I usually just tear through it and scan them.

Also, my GSTL told me I Should not manually input a price for an item because I could be coached for it. Sometimes I get barcodes that don't scan, but it has the clearance price on there and I just manually input it. What advice would you give for solving this issue? Is it possible to solve most of the time on my own? Especially if no GSTL is nearby and it is busy. I have had other GSA just to have me put the price point manually and leave it at that when I call them over.

Random aside, but whoever said Target has Fresh from College ETLs is right. I think I am older than at least 3 of them.

Lastly, I just wanted to share that I stopped my first big theft today. Let's just say a guest had a 80$+ item and put a torn clearance barcode with less than 20$ price point clearly visible. I thought it seemed suspect and asked him if he could check for another (since I was the lone cashier at the time) and he obliged, but came back with the same item. I called over my good friend the Target Cop and he handled the situation. The guest did end up paying full price for the item in the end although begrudgingly. I got one of those little Spot Cop dogs as reward for my efforts.

Thank you it was :) and I'm SO ready for a new year lol 2013 feels old now haha but I will be mistakenly be writing it soon for the next few months into 2014 <.<

1st question: DCPIs are usually located on the inner seam of most clothing on tiny little white tags that are very hard to read and sometimes behind the tag on the collar I always check both spots. Most pillows usually have it on the plastic bag around them and sometimes the clothing's barcode label can get stuck inside the clothing as well. 2

Input question: At my store we manually input prices for guest price challenge that is within reasonable (For me anything beyond 10-15 dollars I will ask the GSA/GSTL) amount if no barcode is found. If it is not a guest price challenge and has no DCPI or barcode then call your GSA/GSTL over and have them call the sales floor to check the appropriate department to check on the item for price. Also Barcodes that don't scan the UPC can manually be entered

Be careful with the stickers though as you have found out people tend to take them off other items and put them on expensive stuff to get it cheaper and some intentionally mess up the bar code so they can haggle some kind of price or have a reason to be mad when you ask for a price check

Congratulations on the catch :) AP appreciates your help and honesty :D

Last edited:
We have guests who will peel off the meat coupons and put them on other things, probably meat with expiration dates further back. It gets a little suspect when I have to coupon the same package of meat three times in one shift. I can't wait until I catch someone in the act.

the dpci's in clothes are going to be the little tag in the collar....if not there it will be on the left side seam (same side the tags are put). There are brands that never have DPCI's mainly junior clothes. In shoes it's on the tongue or again left side of the shoe.

if it's just a case of the bar code not scanning just type in all of the numbers at the bottom of bar code.

Don't believe the clearance stickers

If you have an item with a barcode that is covered or blacked out, check for a red SIM ticket. It will have a barcode and say Repackage, As Is, or Online Only. Also, with clearance items, try to make sure the DPCI on the clearance ticket matches the DPCI of the item. Check the tag if it's clothing or use Price Inquiry to check the DPCI.

And so we're all clear, it's DPCI, not DCPI. It stands for DePartment, Class, Item.

If you have an item with a barcode that is covered or blacked out, check for a red SIM ticket. It will have a barcode and say Repackage, As Is, or Online Only. Also, with clearance items, try to make sure the DPCI on the clearance ticket matches the DPCI of the item. Check the tag if it's clothing or use Price Inquiry to check the DPCI.

And so we're all clear, it's DPCI, not DCPI. It stands for DePartment, Class, Item.

Ah thanks man. Didn't even catch that DPCI. You can tell I have never worked anything but Front Lanes/CA so far lol. I did my first End Cap yesterday though so I am trying to figure things out. Got told this morning they will be keeping me on after season!

I am pretty good with Price Inquiry, I think I mainly needed tips on the clothing items/pillows etc being switched. Now I will be able to check the DPCI on the tags/left sides against the clearance sticker easily. I am really careful of the clearance stuff now, sometimes I get a guest that seems to have all of their items on clearance (like 15 or 20 items) and I generally call GSTL over. I think my store is Low Volume though so if most nights are like last night it will be just 2 cashiers with LOD acting as GSTL for the last 2 hours. Have to figure out who to radio and stuff like that for now. My go to is the Target Cop. I might start carrying a walkie at Front Lanes just so cashiers can reach a manager for help when no one is around.

We have guests who will peel off the meat coupons and put them on other things, probably meat with expiration dates further back. It gets a little suspect when I have to coupon the same package of meat three times in one shift. I can't wait until I catch someone in the act.

Meat coupons are being slowly phased out. Stores in my area no longer use them.

Sometimes I get barcodes that don't scan, but it has the clearance price on there and I just manually input it. What advice would you give for solving this issue?

Clearance stickers contain the items DPCI, type them in the same as the #'s on a tag in a shirt, it will bring upa description of the item, so you can check that the description matches the item in question if it seems suspect.

Vic said:
Random aside, but whoever said Target has Fresh from College ETLs is right. I think I am older than at least 3 of them.

I think we have only have two "ETL" positions total that I am aware of, STL, and ETL-HR, we have other TL's, but I don't know of any others that are salaried - though there probably are more that I am unaware of. Of the two I am aware of though the ETL-HR is only 26.

Really. What are they replacing them with, if anything? I don't see how hard it would be to put the cut lines in the meT coupons that they use for clearance tags; would pretty much eliminate any tag transferring. Y

Really. What are they replacing them with, if anything? I don't see how hard it would be to put the cut lines in the meT coupons that they use for clearance tags; would pretty much eliminate any tag transferring. Y

Life Scammers find a way

Wow!

Clearance stickers contain the items DPCI, type them in the same as the #'s on a tag in a shirt, it will bring upa description of the item, so you can check that the description matches the item in question if it seems suspect.

Yeah, that was what my GSTL taught me yesterday. I have seen some that just have the price though with no DPCI. I am definitely cross checking now.

Nauzhror said:
I think we have only have two "ETL" positions total that I am aware of, STL, and ETL-HR, we have other TL's, but I don't know of any others that are salaried - though there probably are more that I am unaware of. Of the two I am aware of though the ETL-HR is only 26.

Yeah most at my store are in their mid 20s. I think we have 5 ETLs though? Idk maybe some of them are just TLs.

Yeah most at my store are in their mid 20s. I think we have 5 ETLs though? Idk maybe some of them are just TLs.

I think the bare minimum is three ETLs plus and STL. I work at an ULV store and we have an ETL-HR, ETL-GE and salesfloor, and ETL-LOG, plus our STL.

Manual DPCI :
Check around/behind the collar tag or inner seam of clothing.
If its a Target branded item, the DPCI will be somewhere on the item.
If an UPC doesn't scan well, go for the DPCI next.

Price Prompts:
On rare occasions, items are not updated to the POS or not put on planogram, and will request for the price. Just check with the guest first. If its basically under $20 and reasonable, then its ok.

Clearance stickers:
Never rely solely on a clearance sticker for DPCI #. If its the only thing, then do a price inquiry first to check the item description and price. Ifs its dead on, then its ok.

Last edited:

Are they really? I haven't heard anything about it in my district. Guess that means one less thing to worry about soon!

Are they really? I haven't heard anything about it in my district. Guess that means one less thing to worry about soon!

Haven't heard anything about this either. What would we do instead? Seriously, sometimes meat will sit there for days, then once it gets coupon-ed it flies off the shelf. Better to have some profit than QMOS it all.

Haven't heard anything about this either. What would we do instead? Seriously, sometimes meat will sit there for days, then once it gets coupon-ed it flies off the shelf. Better to have some profit than QMOS it all.

The coupons also provides a nice visual for pulling expired product in the evening. Ground beef is the only thing we sell consistently without coupons or TPCs as well. I'll see if I can find anything on Workbench about this tonight, I'm intrigued.

There's a TM at my store who STILL calls it DCPI. He's been here four years.

Doesn't seem as bad as the GSA that calls it DPI, technically she's been at Target for 4 months or so, but she worked at Walmart beforehand for 20 years.

That I understand since Walmart doesn't have a similar concept. We go by the UPCs.

To curb this problem when I worked in PFresh, I began to write the cut of meat directly on the coupon, (e.g., "thin chop," "roast," "whole chicken.") This seemed to cut down the coupon-replacing quite a bit. To completely end any coupon-swapping, I also wouldn't fill the meat until all the coupon-ed packages were sold. Cashiers were easily able to see if it was right and the rest of the PFresh team continued the practice after I switched departments.

To curb this problem when I worked in PFresh, I began to write the cut of meat directly on the coupon, (e.g., "thin chop," "roast," "whole chicken.") This seemed to cut down the coupon-replacing quite a bit. To completely end any coupon-swapping, I also wouldn't fill the meat until all the coupon-ed packages were sold. Cashiers were easily able to see if it was right and the rest of the PFresh team continued the practice after I switched departments.

Awesome idea! We'll definitely have to implement that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back