Archived Quitting Due to Modernization

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you are quitting, thinking of quitting or have quit due to modernization? Or how many from your store have? There are a few in my stores inbound team who are planning on using April to cash in their sick and vacation time and leaving come May. My availability was 7 days a week but I've consistently gotten one day a week since January. I have changed my availability to weekends only and will be looking for a job w a consistent 40 hour M-F schedule. Many others from my store are at their breaking point as well, no longer qualifying for benefits due to their hours being cut.

I know of roughly a half dozen in my store that have quit in the last month or are making noises that they're going to turn in their notice. I'm also going to be quitting before Q4 because I can't deal with another retail Christmas, but I'm willing to at give modernization a chance first. I've already got a full time job else where so I'm personaly not as concerned about the lack of hours lately.

My guess is your work ethic is poop that's why the lack of hours.

I've been w Target for 10 years on and off since 2002 and am the fastest our store has (had) on flow. Until January I've been consistently getting 30-35 hours, maybe 28 come January. This year it dropped down to one day, 4 hours a week. Others on the team who consistently got 40 were dropped down to 12-16. All of us on inbound have been at this store for years. When asking for more hours their response is that we aren't getting more and what we're scheduled is now is what we should expect from here on out.

Last edited:
Inbound has always been low in hours thats why the TL and ETL LOG always have to pick up the slack. Its all about metrics to target.

I've been w Target for 10 years on and off since 2002 and am the fastest our store has (had on flow). Until January I've been consistently getting 30-35 hours, maybe 28 come January. This year it dropped down to one day, 4 hours a week. Others on the team who consistently got 40 were dropped down to 12-16. All of us on inbound have been at this store for years. When asking for more hours their response is that we aren't getting more and what we're scheduled is now is what we should expect from here on out.

Tms at my store still get 20 hours or 40 depending on if they are backroom, SFS, or plano trained

Inbound has always been low in hours thats why the TL and ETL LOG always have to pick up the slack. Its all about metrics to target.

After April 1 aren't team leads not allowed to do the grunt work anymore? Their job is strictly to lead and ensure jobs get done (but not assist in the actual work itself.)

Do you have health care benefits with Target? If you do, that may be a reason your hours are slashed. If you don’t meet the average 30 hours per week average, you will not be eligible for benefits next enrollment period. More cost savings for the Man.

I do not but two of my fellow team members do. Both, up until January, were getting 40 hours consistently. Now they are getting 12 to 16. Both have asked the logistics lod for more but the response is that they aren't giving more hours to inbound then what is presently given. We have me, the two who were near 40 hours, and a handful of others who are also only getting 4 to 8 hours a week. I've reduced my availability to weekends only, one other is quitting come. May. The two who needed 40 won't be staying if they won't be getting benefits any longer. Our inbound team is on the verge of losing half it's staff and years of experience. I've heard that it's the same across the rest of the store as well. Market is struggling to keep up w freight. P2 is days behind. Receiving is full of soft lines repacks and HBA. It's a disaster everywhere.

For market @ my store everybody average 20hrs/week except for the pfresh . Pfresh average 30hrs /week. So relatively I’m happy that I’m consistently getting the maximum they could give . 😐

This is the thinning of the heard season, and I expect it to continue up to Q3 or Q4. Spot is trying to push out TMs for a variety of reasons (under performers, complainers, recalcitrant to change, etc.). They will use every means at their disposal to do it (nitpick performance, attendance, schedule minimum hours, etc.). However, I think after the heard is culled there will be more hours for those that remain. Maybe not as many hours as everyone would like, or could live on independently, but more than are currently being scheduled. If you want DBOs in every area of the store, then the TMs will have to be scheduled enough hours to become experts in their areas.

. If you want DBOs in every area of the store, then the TMs will have to be scheduled enough hours to become experts in their area

Agreed. And enough hours to generate whatever income the TM requires from their part-time position. You need to earn enough to either supplement your other job or your partner's income. If people aren't earning enough money, they aren't going to stay. That's primarily why people work, to pay the bills!

The need to be "fair" with scheduling is actually something that is deliberately going away with modernization. If your store was previously rewarding 'good' TMs with more hours, though, they were violating policy. I don't know why exactly Target is no longer afraid of lawsuits surrounding this, but I'm sure they worked something into the wording of the new job descriptions to cover for it.

If TMs right now are getting more than 20 hours/week your store must be an outlier, or really, really understaffed. And if this continues after modernization, especially with TMs getting over 30 hours/week or 8 hour shifts, well, just hope no one in your district leadership cares that much about following directions (or their job) because it's a BIG push in the roll out. Literally non-negotiable in a lot of markets.

We have TMs and leaders leaving in droves because they can't support themselves with 15 hours a week, and/or they can't work the new scheduling requirements.
And it takes about 2 days to get a new job at the same (or better) pay rate.
Couldn't tell you the last time someone gave a two week notice and worked it, either.

My guess is your work ethic is poop that's why the lack of hours.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. There are excellent, committed TMs at my store who are getting only 3 or 3 1/2 hours a shift lately. One is looking elsewhere; another is considering retiring earlier than planned; another has already put in several apps and is waiting to hear back. We all know hours drop after 4th quarter, but this is worse than usual.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. There are excellent, committed TMs at my store who are getting only 3 or 3 1/2 hours a shift lately. One is looking elsewhere; another is considering retiring earlier than planned; another has already put in several apps and is waiting to hear back. We all know hours drop after 4th quarter, but this is worse than usual.

So your telling me that no one on inbound has 8 hours or at least 25 hours a week?

So your telling me that no one on inbound has 8 hours or at least 25 hours a week?
Pretty sure not, except for our TL. One person on the unload line also works back room (or what's left of it), so he does. But he wasn't part of flow before all these changes started coming down. Some are getting under 10 hours a week - and they're not slackers who we'd be better off if they left.

Exactly. Asants.
Our key inbound people and pog still get 35-40 and when we are scheduled 35 we seem to end up w 40. Those that are slow get 20-25. And some only want 20-25 because they are retired or in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back