Archived Reasonable Accomodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flow Warrior

progenitor of thalassophobia
I dug around the forum to see if anyone dealt with this recently and could only find the one on religious. That wont work so I will ask this here.

I was included in a convo with a TM and TL that involves performance. TM is known by all leadership to need ADA accommodation because an issue with mobility (he has a bad foot and also diabetes/kidney problems). This slows him down significantly.
Say you have a flat that has 25 boxes on for Home. It will take him 35 to 50 minutes depending business flow, guest interaction and store temperature. TM has shown medical documents to prove he has this ailment and has ask only that if he is asked to do freight that this is his speed.
TL on every shift TL is LOD always has issues with TM for being slow.

Today, I listened as TL wanted TM to explain why it took TM 6 hrs to do 6 flats of Home and Decorative HOme (furniture, lamps, candles, frames and plastics) TM said that flats weren't properly sorted (They aren't we know this. I have addressed this with ETL-Log and Flow TL about having Flow Team correctly sort by block. Flow TL doesn't seem interested in ensuring this) and that TM wasn't to do Plastic, flow was but was told to do them anyway that if plastics wasnt included then he would have been finished in 4 hours. (note the 6 flats in 6 hours includes backstock and trash cleanup)
TL gives BS answer that this speed them up as its boxes they doesn't have to work.
Conversation lasted about 5 minutes. TL stated that if TM is called to do carts for 20 minutes that they don't get that back because of hours being cut they should simply speed up (which I disagree with.)

I asked why the accomodation wasn't brought up. TM said, that he was tired of talking when no one was listening.

So how do anyone see this situation. I went to EEOC website and read what they had to say. And its looks like Law is on TMs side.

Law requires that TM shows he has disability (proves it) then asks for accommodation. Accommodation has to be reasonable (like water breaks, or core duties only etc). This was done and agreed upon.

I am just looking for opinions. Why? I am concerned this might lead to bigger problem.

Final comment. Tm is vet, been at the store a long time, excellent performer prior to illness and injury and was well liked. TM has gone out of his way in maintaining other areas and was moved off Trucks so TM didnt have to do freight. I am concerned that if TL CCAs TM that this could lead to Hotline or worse a lawsuit.

Has he actually turned in a workability report from his doctor? And is it current? I've had TMs say they have a disability but never brought in documentation. I also really don't see how flow is going to work for him with a disability like that. He should really be transferred to a different department.

Has he actually turned in a workability report from his doctor? And is it current? I've had TMs say they have a disability but never brought in documentation. I also really don't see how flow is going to work for him with a disability like that. He should really be transferred to a different department.
I don't know but I can find out. I agree he should be.
Transfer them to sales floor, is suggested. Flow is hard for them. He needs talk to hr.
I believe he has already. This is the crux of the problem.

He definitely needs to talk to HR it is not even so much a Tl or STL problem. The ETLHR is the one that can get the ball rolling and Accommodate him , that’s her job.
Also just as harlinesmaster stated he needs to be move from that department. He obviously can not do the core roles .

My similar flow tm works bullseye. He does 4 or 6hr shifts. Pallet and a couple carts. Sometimes he doesn't finish. They couch him on callouts, but not speed. It's kind of like dealing with an eldery/ sick pet.

@Flow Warrior , we have a guy in a similar situation. Long-time Spot Team Member, in fact he used to be a TL years ago. His diabetes has caused numerous issues w/ his feet as well. The foot pain slows him way down.... it's now creating issues w/ hip and back. This TM knows he can't maintain the pace anymore. He's given HR his Dr.'s notes for health/wellness accommodations. Now, he mostly helps w/ Receiving, usually 1-2 days a week. And he works on Ad prep, and Ad set, 2 other days a week. He needs to maintain his hours for benefits.... if he can pick up a shift with PC anywhere in the building, he will do that. That being said...... he doesn't always have a "set schedule". He knows his limitations, so he's had to make some changes to his routine to get hours.
With E2E, most of our workcenters, including Salesfloor now, are all very "physical". That's going to put your TM in a bind. If he is willing to be flexible, the HR ETL should be able to "find" him more suitable work for his condition. It may be inconsistent; and not in one workcenter.

And its looks like Law is on TMs side.

I'm not a lawyer, but I agree, and the TL is potentially opening Target up to an ADA complaint/lawsuit. He needs to talk to HR & the STL. If it's only the one TL, they need to deal with that TL. If flow isn't able to accommodate his speed, they will need to look into moving him to a new work center--cashiers can do their work with the assistance of a stool or chair, frex.

I'm not a lawyer, but I agree, and the TL is potentially opening Target up to an ADA complaint/lawsuit. He needs to talk to HR & the STL. If it's only the one TL, they need to deal with that TL. If flow isn't able to accommodate his speed, they will need to look into moving him to a new work center--cashiers can do their work with the assistance of a stool or chair, frex.

The update is TM did ask for the paperwork for the ADA from HR. HR started process and is giving notes etc. So this was Lone TLs issue. TL I believe will have this explained too because TL has been pushing productivity alot (due to the Made by design reset) Its mostly lack of communication.

TM was moved to Salesfloor now. The rest I am unaware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back