Archived Red-Card Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in Flow. We've been told if we want more hours, we'd have to cashier when doing pulls/auto-fills outside of our truck days. I was cool with that till I read this thread. I have not seen/heard the pressure on RC sign-ups from actual cashiers at our Super, just the usual NASCAR style play-by-play on walkie that "JOHN" on 16 just signed 2 up in 15 minutes and if he gets 3 more by Noon, John walks away with a SNICKERS! LOL. I find it terribly annoying to the customer in my opinion to be badgered about a RC.

Here's an experience on suggestive selling when it comes to my financial well being:

I was excited to cash my Target payroll checks at Wells Fargo near work. No fee, Target draws payroll from WF and it's convenient! Till the 5th time I went to cash my check. I was told by the 2nd rep, again, standing next to the teller, how much MORE I'd save by having an account at WF since I work at Target/ direct deposit / no acct. fee, etc. After the 5th time of being asked to open a WF account (I counted, I took a business card each time as a courtesy from THE SAME REP), guess where I cash my payroll check now...Yep, I pay the $3 charge at my friendly Wal-Mart. No suggestive selling on their 5 different ways to bank/save/charge. I just show my Drivers License, they Zap the check, I walk away with my CASH without being BADGERED.

The badgering is what is getting to me. Because I *have* to ask *every* guest - including the minors and people buying gum - *I* feel like all I do is badger everyone the entire shift. I can't just bring it up in my normal banter like before, I have to start off with it.

So even though I love mine, and do think every that is able should get the debit one, that enthusiasm is lost because of the badgering feeling. We are going to drive guests away.

Yesterday, I was picking up a few things before leaving work. The cashier was ringing me up...and the gsa came over and said ....( my name) Do you have a red card....I replied yes....then she ssays...do you have the credit or debit...I replied debit....then she launches into the whole speech about how I shouldapply for the credit card etc. I replied I don't want the credit card...I am fine with the debit card......then she still kept going. I get that Spot is making every cashier ask every guest....and they have no choice in the manner...but Spot needs to realize that most guests simply want to get in and out as fast as they can. They view being asked the same thing over an d over again as nagging and most people don't deal well with that. I mean to be honest. most guests don't view the "benefits" of the red card to be all that grand. I have always heard that a great product sells itself....most people look at the Red card and think////Oh great another store wants me to apply for yet another card for a small discount....I will have to carry around yet another card....etc etc. Face it spot if guests thought the red card was all that great ...you wouldn't have to MAKE your team members shove it down their throats....after all a great product....sales itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back