Archived Red-Card Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
All i would like to add to this conversation is that in the last year since they've had me start coaching based on cashiers not offering the benefits is that i do not have a single cashier on a CA for redcards. No one has been fired and no one is on a CA for it. I do have one cashier on a CA for performance and redcards is part of it but if it was just that he would have never gone on it.
If you are genuinely asking each guest and explaining the benefits to them you will not be fired. I am told over and over that we cannot coached based on metrics or numbers but only on behaviors.
I understand that it sucks to have redcards shoved down your throat and a lot of your stores sound awful but a lot of getting redcards comes down to attitude and just asking each guest.

I wish that were true at all stores, R&K. I've seen the documented coachings saved on the computer in the tsc. Cashiers who ask every guest, but still have a bad week, are being coached. And it does say on there that failure to pull up numbers will result in further corrective action up to and including termination.

@tgtguy Ha
I wish that were true at all stores, R&K. I've seen the documented coachings saved on the computer in the tsc. Cashiers who ask every guest, but still have a bad week, are being coached. And it does say on there that failure to pull up numbers will result in further corrective action up to and including termination.

They can bring up poor metrics but the coaching can't be only off that. They have to observe them not engaging with every guest and not actively educating them on the benefits of having a REDCard. They can mention that this is the main reason their score is low but they have to have evidence to support it.

I'm sure your HR and group HR won't approve a corrective action on the basis of those type of coaching conversations. The PDD you saw might of slipped through the cracks, HR looks at CAs with a fine tooth comb, PDDs not so much.

My guess is that leader doesn't know he is not allowed to coach only on metrics, if he does then, sorry to hear that.

Cashier at my store are absolutely coached if they are not getting enough RedCards. They also are threatened with getting fewer hours and termination. I've seen more than one cashier come out of the hr office crying. Anonymous, will you ever stop being Spot's cheerleader and concede the point that these things are happening and they're wrong?

Our ETL had the GSTL "talk" to each of us about RCs and speed. Not officially a coaching but....

And, tonight I hear I'm supposed to suspend the transaction when I do an unprompted RC so it doesn't crash my speed score?? Seriously, they keep timing you after you scan the stupid thing?

That is why my score is in the tank.... Gee, I had a freaking 20 minute RC fiasco one day. How do you recover from that??

So am I really supposed to do that?? I pointed out I never had training on the lanes (again).

then, we had a guest that got the card at GS, and then shopped... And her first purchase was declined. I'm guessing if it had been done in the transaction with the $450 sale it would have gone thru. I won't even bring up the LOD telling her it was her bank declining it because she didn't have enough money. Really??? Really?? you don't get how it works??

::banghead::

@tgtguy Ha

They can bring up poor metrics but the coaching can't be only off that. They have to observe them not engaging with every guest and not actively educating them on the benefits of having a REDCard. They can mention that this is the main reason their score is low but they have to have evidence to support it.

I'm sure your HR and group HR won't approve a corrective action on the basis of those type of coaching conversations. The PDD you saw might of slipped through the cracks, HR looks at CAs with a fine tooth comb, PDDs not so much.

My guess is that leader doesn't know he is not allowed to coach only on metrics, if he does then, sorry to hear that.

Stores and Districts will allow all kinds CAs that should not be allowed go ahead. It is very rare anybody fights them and they mostly the quit on their own. I have seen it done to TMs, TLs, and ETLs. All stuff they could fight but, when it all comes down to it who is going to fight to stay at a job that is trying to get rid of them and making their life hell. So many stores will CA cashiers on metrics and as long as those stores show some numbers and nobody fights it everybody is happy to look the other way.

Our ETL had the GSTL "talk" to each of us about RCs and speed. Not officially a coaching but....

And, tonight I hear I'm supposed to suspend the transaction when I do an unprompted RC so it doesn't crash my speed score?? Seriously, they keep timing you after you scan the stupid thing?

That is why my score is in the tank.... Gee, I had a freaking 20 minute RC fiasco one day. How do you recover from that??

So am I really supposed to do that?? I pointed out I never had training on the lanes (again).

then, we had a guest that got the card at GS, and then shopped... And her first purchase was declined. I'm guessing if it had been done in the transaction with the $450 sale it would have gone thru. I won't even bring up the LOD telling her it was her bank declining it because she didn't have enough money. Really??? Really?? you don't get how it works??

Yes, it keeps timing you, but I've never had a transaction go red on a REDcard (as long as they complete the application). Honestly, one R isn't going to kill anything...and a 20 minute REDcard fiasco is nothing but one R, so easily recoverable.

My guess is that guest got the debit card, and there is a $200 transaction limit for the temporary card. If the application had been done with the transaction, the application would have come up as needing further review, so the guest would have just had to wait for the card and not had the temporary card in the meantime.

I would love it if the LOD or GSA would get on the walkie some day and instead of saying "Susie got her 3rd red card of the day" that "Hey Target Team... Joe has made it 4 months in a row with no call ins" Now Joe would be my choice to get a gift card over Susie... Just sayin.... and yes I have had call ins... but we have folks who call in 2 or 3 times a week.

Yes, it keeps timing you, but I've never had a transaction go red on a REDcard (as long as they complete the application). Honestly, one R isn't going to kill anything...and a 20 minute REDcard fiasco is nothing but one R, so easily recoverable.

My guess is that guest got the debit card, and there is a $200 transaction limit for the temporary card. If the application had been done with the transaction, the application would have come up as needing further review, so the guest would have just had to wait for the card and not had the temporary card in the meantime.
Oh it goes red. It was my first transaction yesterday, I was red with a debit (needing review at that) and I was 0% R. That is what prompted me to ask about the timing thing.

With the mix of guests we have, change digging elderly folks, some days you just can't recover to go over 90. I'm fast, 99% of my issue is waiting on guests. And I do all I can to speed them up. One lady last night could not find her debit card, and I suspended her transaction while she hunted (and I had to ask her to step away while I rang up someone behind her while her son went to the car to get it). She honestly was irked that I had suspended it while she was looking, I mentioned I was timed for my transaction and that was why I had. Not to mention the 3 people behind her didn't need to have to wait on her hunt....

Thank you for the info on the temp limit for the debit. That helps.... I wonder if anyone knows that at my store?

The week I was getting beat up over was my first few days back from vacation with the new readers, I did feel slower - but I was adjusting to not being able to count beeps and such. Heck, I'm still adjusting to that.... Miss them greatly.

I dunno... Some cashiers are just slow I guess.

I have change diggers, people who cannot find their card, etc... And I *do not* play games like suspend their transaction or let the next guest in. I find it rude and unnecessary, IMHO. In no circumstance has it affected my weekly/daily speed significantly.

As a customer in any retail establishment, I'd be peeved if the cashier hurried me along because he was "timed". Customer service first. And I believe that as a cashier (6 yrs on the job, so I've seen it all)

You might just be slow. Some folks are quick and efficient... Others are not. You might try some tricks to being efficient, like taking clothes off hangers before starting the transaction. Or just own up that you're slow. Tricks like suspending a transaction because someone is digging for change isn't fooling anyone. And not to mention you will look like a super-fool one day when you try to pull up the suspend slip and it doesn't work....so you re-ring the whole transaction.

Just be careful with the silly cheats. Keep it simple. Keep it honest. Some guests are ready to go... Others are change diggers . Happens to us all!

I dunno... Some cashiers are just slow I guess.

I have change diggers, people who cannot find their card, etc... And I *do not* play games like suspend their transaction or let the next guest in. I find it rude and unnecessary, IMHO. In no circumstance has it affected my weekly/daily speed significantly.

As a customer in any retail establishment, I'd be peeved if the cashier hurried me along because he was "timed". Customer service first. And I believe that as a cashier (6 yrs on the job, so I've seen it all)

You might just be slow. Some folks are quick and efficient... Others are not. You might try some tricks to being efficient, like taking clothes off hangers before starting the transaction. Or just own up that you're slow. Tricks like suspending a transaction because someone is digging for change isn't fooling anyone. And not to mention you will look like a super-fool one day when you try to pull up the suspend slip and it doesn't work....so you re-ring the whole transaction.

Just be careful with the silly cheats. Keep it simple. Keep it honest. Some guests are ready to go... Others are change diggers . Happens to us all!

Whatever. I will not hesitate to suspend a transaction if someone is going to take 30 seconds to look for a nickel.

We have a few lanes that are notorious for shutting down when you try and retrieve the transaction. It's a total pain in the ass and I just don't do it all that often. I don't care that I'm timed either. I can't help it that people are looking for a coupon deeeeep in their purse or a nickel. lol Somehow, I hope Spot understands this.

Our registers are a crapshoot when it comes to retrieving transactions. It takes anywhere between 3 seconds and 5 minutes. I never suspend unless I have to- especially larger transactions.

First time post, woot woot. Really love and appreciate this site, have learned so much.
Just had to post tonight because I'm SO frustrated with the Redcard push. It makes an otherwise tolerable, and even enjoyable position, miserable. I tell/ask EVERY (because I'm told to) guest about the cards and the benefits, and I'm positive in my delivery. I get probably 1 card every 8hrs +/-. Even though I'm honestly trying my hardest I'm constantly feeling the crunch and it's VERY stressful. I take my job seriously and I hate feeling like I'm not doing my best because I'm not getting enough Redcards. Why can't they prompt on the credit card processor? Or set up an info table in the store? I feel like Target is supposed to be "higher class" than other retail giants like Walmart (gasp!). But I've never been harassed about getting a card at Walmart's checkout, I feel like Target peddling cards makes them seem desperate and low class, and I hope it changes soon. ALSO being bribed with popcorn, drinks, food, movies ect does NOT make me do my job better, it just annoys me that they think I'm not trying my hardest, but dangling a carrot will make me do my best/achieve my potential.
Anyway, sorry my first post is so negative but just had to vent and yep, thanks!! :)

Our front end etl is horrible. Horrible about the way he badgers many of the cashiers about asking or not. He hangs around listening to see if they are asking. He says if they don't ask he is going to loose his job. I think some do not ask for that very reason.

He has his friends and relatives come into the store to get cards and they sign up with him. Then he says. - I don't know why you all have a hard time getting cards, it's easy.
He makes me want to puke.

Our front end etl is horrible. Horrible about the way he badgers many of the cashiers about asking or not. He hangs around listening to see if they are asking. He says if they don't ask he is going to loose his job. I think some do not ask for that very reason.

He has his friends and relatives come into the store to get cards and they sign up with him. Then he says. - I don't know why you all have a hard time getting cards, it's easy.
He makes me want to puke.

Our STL would suggest this (bring in your friends and family, not puking) at the huddles.
He would ask everybody who had a card to raise their hand and then ask the people who didn't have one why not.

It's pretty awful but at the time we were a golden store and the second highest rate in the district.

I used to be able to get a redcard one in about every 40 transactions. Now it's more like one in every 75-100. And I ask all the time. I make a game out of it. When they say no, I will say, no no listen, there is more,let me tell you about all the perks. Most of the time I have them laughing. Some sign up, some say they love my presentation. Some say I am a great salesperson.. To that I say, not that great, I didn't get you to get the card...

But sadly the perks aren't that great anymore and are dwindling. When you say that you don't need your receipt to make a return, big deal, you don't need it with any card.. Free shipping at target.com..so what, any order 50.00 or more with any card will get you that too. The 5% used to cover the tax in my state - not anymore. So as perks dwindle, they raise the number they want us to get.. I am just shaking my head about that, but I will continue to ask because it is part of my job.

I must be asking nice, because most of them seem to be thanking me for asking, and telling me I was nice about it.

The problem with getting them now, I dread the next day I work because of the added pressure. Like, I got 3 the other night. THREE. Shoot me, it's gunna suck....

Forget about asking my friends and family to come in and get one. When people I know come through my line, I can't even stomach the thought of asking them about it. It's just embarrassing we have to hawk them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back