Archived Red-Card Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...they are pulling the, "just think, if we have 2,000 people come through our doors, we only need 10 of them to sign up!" crap with us. Blah. Seriously? My GSTL told me today I had to get a REDcard at guest services for the four hours I was there. Right. I had maybe one actual transaction where I sold something, the rest were all returns. Let's get real.

We're back to the only thing that they talk to us about and the only thing that matters is REDcards. Enough. If you can't find something else to talk to me about, then just leave me the hell alone. I'm seriously tired of pretending I give a damn about how many we get a day.

My store hasn't gotten to these insanity levels yet, I'm guessing because our conversion has been so godawful for the last few weeks that it would be like poking an open wound. I mean they still do the "what's our redcard goal for today?" and all that of course, they haven't gone away, but I at least don't have to listen to 10 minutes of speechifying or being told I MUST get a redcard on a shift. Granted being at the tail end of my 2 weeks probably factors into that. I don't even bother asking on lanes anymore unless I feel like someone could save themselves some significant dough on a big purchase or whatnot, and then only the debit of course, unless requested.

I've been off again... Got chatted to on Tuesday. I'm guessing if I don't get one tomorrow it won't be pretty (I'm at 4 this week, most ever.)

Wait. Ha. Never mind... I have tomorrow covered.

Can I sign my daughter up? Maybe she'd walk up to the store on Sunday... It's only 3 miles. Uphill. In the heat.

Yep...they are pulling the, "just think, if we have 2,000 people come through our doors, we only need 10 of them to sign up!" crap with us. Blah. Seriously? My GSTL told me today I had to get a REDcard at guest services for the four hours I was there. Right. I had maybe one actual transaction where I sold something, the rest were all returns. Let's get real.

We're back to the only thing that they talk to us about and the only thing that matters is REDcards. Enough. If you can't find something else to talk to me about, then just leave me the hell alone. I'm seriously tired of pretending I give a damn about how many we get a day.

Not to play devil's advocate, but I get a majority of mine at Service Desk. The nice thing is it tells you what they used to pay when returning and if they ran it as a debit (in which case I ask them would they like another debit card to the account they used that gets rid of the sales tax?)

i agree, i get most of mine at the service desk as well. Especially from people who pay with the credit card and walk right up and pay with their debit or a check.

I usually get some pestering from the front for getting red cards and I usually get one a month back in electronics. Saturation for red cards is so high for us in electronics that getting one is a guaranteed a 5%+ conversion rate for the week. I had one week where I got 3 and my conversion rate was 50%.

Our expected conversion score just doubled. They're handing Salesfloor TMs stacks of little informational booklets and telling them that they have to hand them all out to guests and we have a stack of the things at the fitting room. When they do get handed out, we find them hiding all over the place. Nobody wants the booklets and the stack at the fitting room gets bigger instead of smaller.

I see a lot of people irritated by having to ask for REDCards on here, but my question to you is if you don't like asking every guest, then why don't you just transfer to another department, because these expectations aren't going away.

Your leadership is always going to be giving you specific goals to strive for, that's their job and they should be doing that. I would say if you have other TMs that are consistently getting 2 or more a day, then it is understandable that they have the same expectations for you. Instead of being miserable about it, I would talk to that TM that is good at getting REDCards and see what their doing.

I would say if you are genuinely asking every guest with enthusiasm, I would guess you are probably going to reach your goals most of the time and if you don't I'm sure your leader will understand. You will feel the pressure when you leader thinks you are not doing this, then they will keep pushing you to get more.

If you feel like you are genuinely asking with enthusiasm and you are usually green in conversion and they are still pestering you, then I would encourage you to tell them how you feel. But if this is not the case, well then expect them to keep the pressure on.

If you embrace greeting REDCards it instead of despise it, I guarantee you it will be more enjoyable and you will be more successful at it and it will probably make your day go by quicker. Just saying...

I see a lot of people irritated by having to ask for REDCards on here, but my question to you is if you don't like asking every guest, then why don't you just transfer to another department, because these expectations aren't going away.

Your leadership is always going to be giving you specific goals to strive for, that's their job and they should be doing that. I would say if you have other TMs that are consistently getting 2 or more a day, then it is understandable that they have the same expectations for you. Instead of being miserable about it, I would talk to that TM that is good at getting REDCards and see what their doing.

I would say if you are genuinely asking every guest with enthusiasm, I would guess you are probably going to reach your goals most of the time and if you don't I'm sure your leader will understand. You will feel the pressure when you leader thinks you are not doing this, then they will keep pushing you to get more.

If you feel like you are genuinely asking with enthusiasm and you are usually green in conversion and they are still pestering you, then I would encourage you to tell them how you feel. But if this is not the case, well then expect them to keep the pressure on.

If you embrace greeting REDCards it instead of despise it, I guarantee you it will be more enjoyable and you will be more successful at it and it will probably make your day go by quicker. Just saying...

Before anybody else nails you to the wall maybe I can point out a couple of things.

First of all, the nature of this board is an opportunity to vent frustrations that come with the job.
I'd say it's pretty clear from the thoughts posted here that one of the primary frustrations is red cards.
It doesn't mean that the people don't get out there do their job, smile, and even do their level best to be positive about the process.

However the main problems are twofold;
Spot is setting the metric so high that most stores even with asking every gue --- customer, can not reach it.
And the ETLs in frustration, fear and bad management are freaking out about this.
They are doing things like performancing out people who can't get cards and shaming them in public.

As to moving to a different department, I'm sure good managers would do that.
And how many stores have that kind of management?
You might be one of the lucky ones.

But remember the cardinal rule of this forum.
All stores are not the same, all stores are not the same, all stores are not the same.

Last edited:
Today's huddle was big on selling the cards. Not just to guests though, but also to fellow TMs. Especially the bunch of new hires we just got because to paraphrase the LOD, "they're probably not geniuses and don't know much about Red Cards except from orientation, so why don't you tell them more?"

Sure, let me foster a good working relationship with the people I'm training by convincing them to spend more money here.

The ones that are getting performed out for not getting REDCards are the same ones that would probably get performed out for calling out or not working with urgency in logistics or sales floor.

If a TM is just naturally not good at being personable with guests and tries their best to get REDCards but is never successful but they are truly a good TM with the right intentions, I'm sure most stores would allow them to transfer to another department to excel rather then just performance them out.

I know all stores are different but I don't think they're that much different, I worked at plenty to know. I just feel to many people like to gripe and complain rather than making the best of their situation, whether that be with Target or just finding something else outside of Target to satisfy your needs.

Retail is not for everyone!

If you're at my store transferring to a different department does nothing to escape the never-ending redcard spiel. Hell, I've heard a joking/not-joking ETL ask the fitting room if they've vibed up the benefits of the redcard with guests. -.- And I know for a fact they're performancing out some of our better cashiers because they're not good at closing the redcard but they are super great at the rest of their jobs. But who cares about any other metric of job performance, amirite?

All hail the mighty redcard. Long may it reign.

The ones that are getting performed out for not getting REDCards are the same ones that would probably get performed out for calling out or not working with urgency in logistics or sales floor.

If a TM is just naturally not good at being personable with guests and tries their best to get REDCards but is never successful but they are truly a good TM with the right intentions, I'm sure most stores would allow them to transfer to another department to excel rather then just performance them out.

I know all stores are different but I don't think they're that much different, I worked at plenty to know. I just feel to many people like to gripe and complain rather than making the best of their situation, whether that be with Target or just finding something else outside of Target to satisfy your needs.

Retail is not for everyone!

Always love victim blaming.
It's the easy way out.
And my other favorite, if you don't like the job than quit.

Come on man, in today's economy many of the people who are working desperately need these jobs and retail are the only ones available.
It's easy to make blanket statements about people especially disparaging ones.
What might be more interesting is taking a look at the system and figuring out why it's broken.
Maybe coming up with a way to make it work better.

A one time 10% a POS, 4 times a year 10% off or earning larger % off.
Who knows but the fact is so close to the breach this jump in the metric show desperation.

And I think you missed the original point of my first post.
This is the bar where everyone knows your name.
Have a beer and bitch about your day.
Sure if you've had a good day you can talk about that too.
This is a safe place to be yourself.
Nobody is going to criticize you for being frustrated, exhausted, or confused.

Last edited:
Wait, if there is no guests in the store to ask the question, how can you? Our cashiers do ask & get no, a lot of times. Plus, I am seeing very few guests after 9pm, at my store. I can count them on 1 hand.

If you have very few guests then that means you probably have very few prompts, which means just getting probably one REDCard will get you to green.

I can go on all day with this one lol

Hey, all I am saying is stay positive, negative energy will get you no where in life. If your not happy with your circumstances, do something about, don't complain about. That's all I'm trying to say.

@commiecorvus If the job market is tough and an individual is having a hard time finding a better opportunity, then that is more reason to make the best of the situation they are in until they find something better.

Different incentive options for guests and their REDCards I'm sure would be a good idea, but I'm sure Target has thought about that one. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

But I have cashiers at my store that are consistently above 3% week after week and YTD. These are the cashiers that are motivated, enthusiastic, and like what they do and consistently get recognized for it. The ones that aren't are usually the ones with like 0-1 REDCards at the end of the week and they are the ones that will be coached.

@commiecorvus If the job market is tough and an individual is having a hard time finding a better opportunity, then that is more reason to make the best of the situation they are in until they find something better.

Different incentive options for guests and their REDCards I'm sure would be a good idea, but I'm sure Target has thought about that one. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

But I have cashiers at my store that are consistently above 3% week after week and YTD. These are the cashiers that are motivated, enthusiastic, and like what they do and consistently get recognized for it. The ones that aren't are usually the ones with like 0-1 REDCards at the end of the week and they are the ones that will be coached.

whoosh_U18chan.jpg

If you're at my store transferring to a different department does nothing to escape the never-ending redcard spiel. Hell, I've heard a joking/not-joking ETL ask the fitting room if they've vibed up the benefits of the redcard with guests. -.- And I know for a fact they're performancing out some of our better cashiers because they're not good at closing the redcard but they are super great at the rest of their jobs. But who cares about any other metric of job performance, amirite?

All hail the mighty redcard. Long may it reign.

Believe it or not the sales floor is the best place to get REDCards with a higher success rate, because you have more time to interact with the guests and educate them on the benefits, rather then on the register where your window is short without making them feel impatient.

I don't feel stores stress the REDCard enough to the sales floor team and they usually don't hold them accountable to REDCard metrics unless they are on a register. REDCards is usually viewed as a GE metric, when in reality the whole store should be playing a role. If the whole store plays in getting REDCards from fitting room, SL, HL, logistics, you name it, I guarantee your metrics will be through the roof. Because if you think about, what the REDCard offers is actually pretty good and if you can get the guest past that belief of it just being another credit card, you will be golden.

No I get it, you want this forum to be a place where people can bitch and complain about their jobs. Well I believe their is another forum out there for that.
I just don't feel that does any good for anyone. If a person is so frustrated, then express those concerns with your supervisor or HR but to complain on a forum, why waste your time and energy.

I like to come on to this forum to find solutions to problems and here about people's success stories not here about how they hate their job.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Are you on the clock right now? Because you're pretty insistent about VIBEing with us about Redcards.

Blink twice rapidly if there's an ETL standing behind you while you're typing.

I'm don't even work in GE, I'm in logistics but I will talk up REDCards whenever I'm on the floor or on a register.

I have recruited plenty of TMs from GE, to logistics because they didn't enjoy what they were doing or wanted to try something different but then I have also had a lot of people that loved what they were doing and couldn't get them to transfer over even though it would offer a raise to them. The common theme there is they all made the best of their situation not letting it get the best of them.

No I get it, you want this forum to be a place where people can bitch and complain about their jobs. Well I believe their is another forum out there for that.
I just don't feel that does any good for anyone. If a person is so frustrated, then express those concerns with your supervisor or HR but to complain on a forum, why waste your time and energy.

I like to come on to this forum to find solutions to problems and here about people's success stories not here about how they hate their job.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Dig it friend.
The Break Room is an organic place that flows and grows.

The mods don't hammer down anyone except spammers and the exceptionally rude.

It's nature, it's mood, it's soul if you will come from the regular posters and the folks who pick up the most likes.
You'll find in general that those people are helpful, caring, funny, a bit self depreciating, have strong opinions and but don't lecture.

Me, I lecture but only out of love.
You want to help.
Chill, don't tell people they aren't good enough and are whiners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back