Archived Red-Card Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you go, the new pitch.

You know, if you get the red card we won't harass you every time you go to check out.
I'm sure that would brighten up your day.
So what do say, huh, please, pretty please, with sugar on top. pleeeeeeeeeeeeese.

Oh, I have said that commiecorvus.
I have said, today is my birthday, will you open one as a present.
I have said, if you open a card I might win a tee shirt.
Sometimes I try anything. Other times I don't care at all. I ask, they say no and it's a done deal.

Several things.....

1) when I see that a guest already has a RC I'll say something about how they already have a RC....and are already saving 5%...GREAT. (This way the leadership can hear that I'm talking about RCs....so not getting a RC doesn't "seem so bad.")
2) I wonder sometimes about the speed score. Seems to me that if I get any Rs in my first few transactions I hardly ever get back to an 88% score.
3) when I have a guest who is trying to find their card to make a payment and they start to panic, I'll suspend the transaction and tell the guest that they can take their time to find what they can't. Sometimes the extra pressure on a guest seems to frustrate them more....so I think that there are times when suspending a transaction is the best thing to do.
4) we seem to get mixed signals on "suspending" to save time. Some leaders say to do it, while others say that it isn't a good idea.....wish I knew for sure what the answer really is.
5) Our store now has a goal of 15 RCs a day. Our goal used to be 10....and we often didn't get 10....so I have no idea how they expect us to get 15!
6) While you can't be fired for not getting RCs, some of the other things they'll watch for (to be able to coach you)....speed score, call-offs, how close you show up on time for your shift (in my store they start having fits if you clock-in more than 3 minutes past your time.) of your survey scores. The more of these things you can do correctly, the fewer things they have to coach you on.)

Finally....I've been on an LOA for awhile...has Spot changed how long a guest has to bring in a missed coupon? It was three days...is that still true?

I have the same feeling about the speed thing, there just comes a point you can't get above 88 (and funny, I was at an 88 when the talk happened).

I'm screwed on the coaching thing then, it will always be RCs and speed. I've never called off, and I'm always 15 minutes early and waiting on the time clock.

Oh surveys, funny. Never ever heard them mentioned. Not to point them out, not what our scores are, not what my scores are.... Just like they don't exist in our store.

Is there a way for us to see our speed?

Do your stores really care about the speed score? As a gstl I have literally never looked at a cashiers speed score and couldn't care less what they are. I have bigger fish to fry.

I think a store that is struggling to get theeir conversion score consistently green will probably not pay attention to the speed score, but if you are green on conversion then they would likely shift their focus on improving the speed scores, especially if checkout is fast surveys are ranked low.

There have been times when the back up button has gone off, that the GSTL or GSA has just looked at me and sighed, "I really wish we had faster cashiers." I think if it's consistently too low week after week they might say something, but I agree...there are generally bigger fish to fry.

The fastest cashiers I've encountered have better ergonomic set ups and aren't having to talk up various "crap" each time. Scan and get you out. They aren't having to reach for a gun each time someone buys freaking coffee mate, it just scans. There bags aren't crap, oh and heck, they might have someone else bagging for them.

It's a trade off.... Maybe they should just let us shut up and scan?????

If only.... Sigh.

(Forgive me, I'm in a ton of pain tonight)

Oh surveys, funny. Never ever heard them mentioned. Not to point them out, not what our scores are, not what my scores are.... Just like they don't exist in our store.

I'm guessing your overall Vibe scores are good then. Surveys directly impact that. Basically, guests can rank us on a scale from 1-10 when they take a survey. In order to be green on Vibe, 80% of those guests must score you 9 or 10 (which is considered "amazing" service).

Even if 70% of guests ranked you 9 and 10 and everyone else gave you an 8 (still pretty good on a scale of 1-10), you'd be red for Vibe.

We are green except in the cartwheel sheet it I go by the sheets they print and post. I will read them further....

Do your stores really care about the speed score? As a gstl I have literally never looked at a cashiers speed score and couldn't care less what they are. I have bigger fish to fry.

When I was a noob cashier, I was told that having a decent speed score would improve my chances of being hired on from seasonal. I've heard nothing about speed scores since then. But then again........

I think a store that is struggling to get their conversion score consistently green will probably not pay attention to the speed score, but if you are green on conversion then they would likely shift their focus on improving the speed scores, especially if checkout is fast surveys are ranked low.

........our conversion scores have been absolutely abysmal since the breach.

You might just be slow. Some folks are quick and efficient... Others are not. You might try some tricks to being efficient, like taking clothes off hangers before starting the transaction.

From what I remember, it actually says to do this in the little cashiering video, so it's not cheating. It's not always possible depending on how they set everything up on the belt. Either way, I don't think the speed scores matter to anyone.

Wait. There's a cashier training video???

I just keep reminding them I wasn't trained for the front end.....

I've decided I just don't care about the speed. It's screwed up, just like the rest of the stuff.

Oh, and I'd love to do some of the speed things with clothes, but I get all the freaky guests that.... Won't put them in the belt... The reaches in and takes everything out to fold it perfect.... That want the hangers.... That if you set things on the end to bag later, comes over and does it while reaching in and making the bags worse since they pulled off 10.... Time saving... Not.

Perhaps somebody already said something like this. Once you become a GSA you will understand. My LOD's constantly ask me how many cards we have. Just the other day they asked how many cards we had 15 minutes after opening. I was like "are you freaking kidding me?" They want us listening to every cashier. If they aren't asking every single guest, we are to make them, if they don't listen to us, we report it to an LOD or TL so they can coach them.

I had a simple cashier shift the other day and I got 5, (record was 11 in one day before the breach), but they're so freaking hard to get anymore. Lose the trust of the people and reap what you sew. If you're a cashier, expect to be hounded about Red Cards, because GSTL's and GSA's get bitched at by ETL's, who get bitched at by DTL's, and up and up. Pun intended.

My store is now a focus store, so the DTL now calls, apparently, to find out our progress in redcards for the day/night lol. It caught me off guard when she said "hey, this is ___, just calling to check on the redcards for today."

I only ask when leaders are within earshot. They can and will can you if you dont convert. I cant convert , so asking is wasting air.

They won't can for conversion rates here. We have two cashiers who started seven months ago, one got one redcard, the other has gotten zero. I am fairly sure they won't betting exceeds expectations or outstanding on their yearly review, but they haven't been fired for it either and I doubt they will be.

It depends on your volume. The higher the volume, the higher number of prompts, and thus a higher number of REDCards needed to be green. At my store, by yesterday, they figured if we got 22 for the week, we would hit 2.5 and be green. Still not great for is, but it's starting to hit a stride.

Can I come work at your store? They expect us to get 6-8 on week days, and 15 or so on weekends.

Our expected conversion score just doubled.

We were informed ours went from 2.54 to 3.5 a while back, but our 2.71 last week still showed up as being green, so...guess that's not in effect yet.

Last edited:
How insane is it??

I actually asked (jokingly) in a job interview today if they'd like to come in Saturday and apply for a RC.... the chief asked me if I planned on staying at Spot if I got the job.... um, NO.

It depends on your volume. The higher the volume, the higher number of prompts, and thus a higher number of REDCards needed to be green. At my store, by yesterday, they figured if we got 22 for the week, we would hit 2.5 and be green. Still not great for is, but it's starting to hit a stride.

Can I come work at your store? They expect us to get 6-8 on week days, and 15 or so on weekends.

Ha...you don't want to. That is about our goal right now. In fact, while 3.5 is going to be the official goal for green, our higher ups expect us to be at 5.0, which means we have to throw out higher numbers than what you just threw out. The stress is becoming unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back