remodeled front end

We are about 1 month into a 3.5 month remodel. We have about 8 new registers installed and working and 8 old still up and running. How do you scan things in the cart and under the cart without having to walk all around the structure?

Guest services is a really poor design IMO it is like a narrow galley style kitchen. While I am not a fan of the tiny reshop bins, most sections would be ok as long as someone comes and gets their stuff every 20 minutes when its busy (but if it is busy they are on the front lanes and not in their department) and every hour when it is less busy. The exception is Domestics which has very large items that even 1 or 2 won't fit in the tiny bin so they are on the floor with is just a mess. Even baby hardlines a single diaper box fills the bin and if someone is returning 3 or more it just over flows.
Also the counter space was reduced and the bins are further away so you have to spend an extra 1-2 minutes taking stuff back into the tiny bins between every guest and when their are 6 guests waiting and only 1 (or even 2) at guest service that extra time really slows down the process.

most sections would be ok as long as someone comes and gets their stuff every 20 minutes when its busy (but if it is busy they are on the front lanes and not in their department) and every hour when it is less busy.

I’ll tell you right now before you’re disappointed by the results, this won’t happen. Hardlines/General Merchandise has more than just reshop to do and every 20 minutes they would never finish. It would take more than 20 minutes just to empty your bin only for you to call them back up again. Trust me I like empty bins at Guest Service as I have to work there but you have to be reasonable. What I have found to work best is have one Hardlines/GM TM check after every break. Roughly every two hours

If I were an STL I would make the ETLs take care of reshop because salary means you have all the time in the world and reshop always takes fucking forever

Reshop is the main reason I hate IGS even tho I don't work up there. Trying to grab reshop when the front end is mobbed out and having to squeeze through the lines to get in and out of there....total nightmare

We have the remodeled GS and have only one 3 tier cart for HL reshop & one of the white racks with basket for a&a. GS will call departments up to get their reshop about every 15-30 mins. It was a major adjustment, but it's been about 7 months and we held the team accountable for responding so we havent had issues in awhile. If someone returns a larger item that will not fit in cart, they call for someone to pick it up right then.

Would anyone take the time to explain to me how a remodel works. It’s giving me anxiety not knowing. We are starting a remodel I am guessing in a few days. The tent outside is up and the crew is coming in is how I know. I asked the STL if the cafe was turning into a Starbucks (which it is) he gave me a strange look and said idk And acting like a remodel is not happening. Weird. I know from PMT we are having a 4 month remodel. TSC, offices, gs, cafe,Pfresh and a water fountain in the back. How does this work? Do they close off the area that they are working on? During the day are the construction people working? Do the construction people work for target or contracted out? How long will each section take? What changes will be in Pfresh? I still have grower boxes for everything not refrigerated. How long will Pfresh take? Will that section close down? Do they put tarps up? Can the night crew leave on lunch? Thank you!

They’ll put like paper/really thin wood walls (idk how to describe it lol) up sectioning off each section they’re working on and at least at my store the construction crew mostly came in at night but sometimes they came in during the day too. It sucks when they’re there during the day because the construction is really loud. I’m pretty sure they’re contracted out. Each section usually takes like a couple weeks, remodels usually fall behind schedule.

For full store remodels, they will put up boards around areas that are fully being reconstructed, as Leo said (for us it was just the cafe (turned into a liquor store), guest service and fitting rooms), or hang sheets (around the coolers/freezers when they were replaced. Otherwise, for the rest of the store, they move the product in an area to another area, remove the gondolas, remove & replace the tile and replace the gondolas and move product back in. That process takes, oh a week or so per section, depending, so you'll have a "dance floor" space that may or may not be roped off (depending on where they are in the process). Your store should get hours for remodel ambassadors, whose job it is to know where stuff is at that day, and help people find stuff.

Construction mostly happens overnight or during the day, depending, and if it's major construction it's an outside contractor (at least it was at our store), but the sales floor work was done largely by TMs on overnights.

Remodel of TSC & offices is a PITA, but you just kind of deal with it. I was fortunate enough that I work evenings, so I didn't have to deal with construction noise, so it wasn't too bad. If your sales floor is being remodeled and you work the floor, take a few minutes to walk around when you start your shift and see where stuff moved to. There should also be maps at the doors and in the TSC of where stuff has been relocated to and what areas have been set permanently, and roughly when areas will move.

ETA: Can't speak for pfresh, but for grocery they didn't close down everything. The deli was shut down completely for a few weeks, but everything else just sort of moved/compressed while the section was being remodeled.

Back