Archived Reseller ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the resellers, so this doesn't bother me at all. I thought it wasn't just electronics, but I zoned out while she was reading it at the huddle, so I'm probably wrong. They needed a similar policy against bulk purchases when all those assholes were buying up the Lilly from the people who wanted to buy it in order to actually wear/use it, though.

I hate doing the tax exempt form too lol, so I'm a supporter of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our district stopped taking reseller tax exempt cards before Q4 last year. Sales in electronics this year is up overall (YTD) in our store though sales in portable electronics and video game sales have taken hits. For video games, it has probably more to do with PS4 and Xbox One still being new at the beginning of last year. Portable electronics is probably due the lack of reseller activity though it's not a significant loss.

I hate the resellers, so this doesn't bother me at all. I thought it wasn't just electronics, but I zoned out while she was reading it at the huddle, so I'm probably wrong. They needed a similar policy against bulk purchases when all those assholes were buying up the Lilly from the people who wanted to buy it in order to actually wear/use it, though.

I hate doing the tax exempt form too lol, so I'm a supporter of this.
I definitely agree that there needs to be a limit on how much a person can buy on that kind of stuff and the ETLs should stick to it and have a sign that is clearly visible at the displays and at the registers.

In the alcove where our sales ad is posted there's a notice that says the store has the right to limit the quantities of items purchased... meaning don't come by and try to buy 50 2 liters of Coke... the GSTL won't go for that. That sign has been there for a year or two at least. I would welcome that sign at the registers, but where is there room? LOL

Pretty much the GSTL or LOD can limit those bulk purchases at their discretion.

In the alcove where our sales ad is posted there's a notice that says the store has the right to limit the quantities of items purchased... meaning don't come by and try to buy 50 2 liters of Coke... the GSTL won't go for that. That sign has been there for a year or two at least. I would welcome that sign at the registers, but where is there room? LOL

Pretty much the GSTL or LOD can limit those bulk purchases at their discretion.
yes our backroom Forman always buys like a tub's worth of the sodas when they go on sale and the GSTL and LODs let him buy it. lol

My old store limited how much resellers could buy. I remember one night a lady tried buying hmmm maybe 20 ITunes gift cards we had on sale for 90 bucks and our STL stopped her and the lady got very annoying constantly wanting to talk with the STL and complain about how she is being treated unfairly. she than sent several of her kids in to buy the rest in 5 card batches and they were all VERY rude pretending to talk on the phone. So I VERY slowly tried checking them out in hopes the GSA would get involved, I also pretended that I didn't know how to activate them. She also tried getting me involved by asking me if I felt she was being treated unfairly... and I told her "I am not getting involved!" :D

Why not just ring them out at a normal speed. Why do you care if someone buys 20 gifts at a sale? It's still legal and have millions of them

Resellers are annoying and can put a strain on a store, let me explain....

Let's use Apple watches as an example and they are on sale for an unheard of 35% off at target. These types of sales, target had to work with the apple vendor to approve going below cost, otherwise they could lose their license and contract.

Reseller clears out the entire store buying them at a steep discount.

Customers are mad and wanted a great discount too!

Reseller sells them at 25%-30% off, still making a profit.

Target gets upset customers, and failure to build future guest returns. Guest will just go to reseller to always score a great discount.

BTW... There goes your paycheck out the door. Selling to resellers is a short term sales boost for store, but it's not a long term sustainable practice.

Yeah that doesn't and never happened. You're check, what little it is, isn't going anywhere because a store sold out of a hot item at a great sale. How is that any differen't that people lining up at opening and buying the only 10 apple watches we and telling tons of other guest we are out?

It isn't

Though my comment was more aim at those gift cards, not limited numbers of items .

We had a reseller who'd clean us out in new releases but then turn around & return whatever didn't sell at his shop so we'd be stuck with videos/games that were no longer 'hot'.
During the last rotation, tho, we got a new ETL who shut him down & that was the end of that.

Someone returned 700 Little Mermaid moves to our store once because they didn't sell them all on eBay. We used to have some resellers come in and spend 40-100k at a time on gaming systems and some attachments once a week. The STL was chewed out when the higher ups found out and we ended up losing hundreds of thousands from all their sales added up.

We had a dude completely clear out our inventory when the Jigglypuff Amiibo was released, and a month later he returned all of the ones that didn't sell. I think that we still have some of them left in the backroom. He literally bought out the 200-something that we got right at store opening, and the electronics TM didn't realize how bad it was. He had the same mentality, "Well it doesn't matter, we still got the sale". We had so many complaints from guests that I actually lost count, which is really saying something. The LOD absolutely freaked out when she heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back