Archived Returning and re-purchasing items so guests can use coupons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
With the 20% off storewide purchase coupon, I've had several guests come up to me while I worked the Service Desk this evening asking if they could return to the store tomorrow (when the coupon is effective) to return and then re-purchase the items they bought the previous day so they could use the coupon. Is this allowed?

You could of used, fixed a mistake on Saturday. The coupon was working then. To answer the question, ask your gstl. I would say yes & do it.

My store doesn't sell items that aren't on the floor. So after it's returned, it has to be returned to stock first. So either the guest has to go find new ones and go through the registers or they have to wait until we return the items to the floor. If they want to do that, it's their time.

I'm sure we will have guests come back to do a missed coupon this week, but, depending who is at guest services and who is running the front, there will be different responses..
Most of our guest service staff will tell the guests that if they do the return, they will not be able to repurchase the item until it is put back on the floor, which could take an hour or two. Of course we will get the mightier then thou guests who will say, I want a manager, and hopefully the managers who respond have a backbone and reiterate what the guest service tm said.. Most do.

I would think Spot would allow it....after everything else the guests are allowed to get away with in the name of the vibe. Spot had to know that some people were going to try it...so they should have made the coupon where it doesn't work in the system till today.

Last edited:
I was told no, we cannot do the 20% coupon on Sunday for the Saturday purchases.

I won't do it, but I am sure my store will let them get 20% off on multiple purchases made next week rather than limiting them to 20% off of one purchase. But that at least is much less of a stretch, since technically all those purchases could have been combined into one single purchase, whereas they had to make the purchase on Saturday to qualify for the coupon on Sunday, so no, they're not using it on their qualifying purchase. that's essentially like buying an iPad, and asking to use the giftcard that comes with it as a means of paying for it.

No....because they said no when several guests argued with them about it. A bunch of people tried it today, they said no over and over.

Now, my stl is back tomorrow so it'll be a whole new ballgame. My stl would say yes if a guest asked to ritually sacrifice a tm, so I can't imagine him saying no to the return/re buy.

My store doesn't sell items that aren't on the floor. So after it's returned, it has to be returned to stock first. So either the guest has to go find new ones and go through the registers or they have to wait until we return the items to the floor. If they want to do that, it's their time.

That's what I would do when I worked at spot. If there was some crazy deal and they wanted to return-purchase, I'd let them do it; but they had to purchase it like a normal guest.

We didn't allow it. And I back then up. If they want to return everything, then the coupon needs to come back as well. No Saturday purchase no coupon. So they will have nothing to discount their purchase after the fact.

Kind of like the special purchase gc, but a coupon.

I feel bad for guests who didn't shop yesterday though. Or who missed on a coupon cause certain registers ran out.

Our GSTL/LOD didn't collect the coupon pads so our cashiers were giving them out freely on Sunday. No prompt, just give em a coupon. But it's my understanding that if the coupon wasn't given on a prompt, it isn't activated so when they're scanned, they're refused. Should be interesting.

Had a guest come in today - said he *found* a pad of 20% coupons and turned them in, so would I please give him 20% off his purchase today even tho he didn't have a coupon. Ummmm, no.

@RedMan That can't possibly be right. You don't scan the coupon to activate it after the prompt. You just grab a random coupon and hand it to them. They definitely all work. I do believe they are one-time-use though and cannot be scanned multiple times (at least the ones last year were each unique and not all identical).

nope i told my team not to do this. the purpose is to drive sales. not phantom sales when they buy and return then re-buy the item(s). the guests can go kick rocks when it comes to that

Most stores who hand out coupons like that (kohls for instance) validate the coupon with the purchase. Target didn't do it last year. And didn't do it this year. Smh

They could also have had a coupon print out on the receipt. Many ways to do it so it was all legit and would stop guests from taking advantage

@RedMan That can't possibly be right. You don't scan the coupon to activate it after the prompt. You just grab a random coupon and hand it to them. They definitely all work. I do believe they are one-time-use though and cannot be scanned multiple times (at least the ones last year were each unique and not all identical).
I tested it just fornkicks, and the coupons can be used multiple times. Suprised when i saw that. I think that people could make some money with the cartwheel 15% off of the ps3, and then the 20% off additional. Add employee and redcard you can get one almost half off, only a pharmacy discount could make it.better :p

In my former stores, returned items had to touch the floor before being resold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back