Archived Rewards/ Motivation from Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone - I’m trying to find some solid ways to motivate my team. Competitions? Walkie recognition? Food? Prizes? (What kinds) I know HR provides break room food, but I think ETLs should do fun things too. Is there something a leader did to appreciate you that actually made work feel better?

My team liked food- drinks or ice cream when the backroom was hot, cookies, candy, doughnuts or other pastries anytime, and pizza or take-out food for special occasions. Above and beyond the call of duty situations merited gift cards, and bullseye dogs were popular, too. No one could have asked for a better team, and they deserved all the recognition that we could give them and more.

Our ETLs each write one TM a thank you each week and mail it to them. I love how they usually write to a TM that they witnessed going above and beyond, someone outside of their group. Those seem to be appreciated. My etl and I have been trying to find time to shop online to replenish our goodies for TMs too, but with all of these changes lately we just run in circles (mostly between our offices!).

Food is always good. But so much depends on the leader. When I had a horrible TL, it really didn't matter what they said or did - it all seemed so insincere, fake, manipulative. Now that I have a decent TL, I believe them when I'm given affirmation about how I'm doing with my DBO area. Actually saved a card they sent to my home address with an "I appreciate you and your efforts" kind of note. If my former TL has sent a card like that, I'd have pitched it into the recycle bin immediately. (Still would have eaten food provided in the break room though.)

Food is always good. But so much depends on the leader. When I had a horrible TL, it really didn't matter what they said or did - it all seemed so insincere, fake, manipulative. Now that I have a decent TL, I believe them when I'm given affirmation about how I'm doing with my DBO area. Actually saved a card they sent to my home address with an "I appreciate you and your efforts" kind of note. If my former TL has sent a card like that, I'd have pitched it into the recycle bin immediately. (Still would have eaten food provided in the break room though.)
This is me ! What can I do ? I treat the whole team equally. 5 tm’s like me and are thankful, 2 tm’s hate me and are always complaining what I do is wrong. Do I have to do anything different with those two or can I request a transfer for them since we can not get along. Really, why stay on my team if you hate me - please leave.

Important Edited note - the 5 work hard , the 2 are slackers

Do I have to do anything different with those two or can I request a transfer for them since we can not get along. Really, why stay on my team if you hate me - please leave.
No, you sure don't need to do anything different with the two who dislike you and slack off. In fact, you really should NOT do anything different because then you could open yourself up to claims of favoritism or unfair treatment.
Have you asked them if they're happy in their current role? It would seem you already know the answer, but asking them allows them to tell you that they'd like to transfer to another area.
Also, do the two complain directly to you or do you hear it second- or even third-hand? I'd seek out an opportunity to say something to them, individually, along the lines of, "I heard you were unhappy with my decision about __." You don't need to ask them how to do your job - it's not their place to tell you that - but it'd be good to get to the bottom of why they dislike you. Maybe they dislike every boss they've had. Maybe they dislike something else that's happened - a lot of TMs dislike modernization changes - and they take it out on you. Maybe they're just generally negative, pessimistic people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back