Rfid scan

Our first scan took forever but once the expectation was set our in stocks is done in 4 hours or less. Our gal likes to talk! Lol

Was at another store today and asked how long it took her to scan she said five hours. I was super surprised it still takes people that long. It took me five hours once, and then two hours-ish everytime after

Ours takes hours since we have to break every hour and a half for an hour to let the mydevice charge. And the way our store is setup you have to walk the entire store three times to even get close. Two backrooms on opposite sides of the store, a large floorpad for softlines and a 50 aisle spread for the domestics.

Ours takes hours since we have to break every hour and a half for an hour to let the mydevice charge. And the way our store is setup you have to walk the entire store three times to even get close. Two backrooms on opposite sides of the store, a large floorpad for softlines and a 50 aisle spread for the domestics.
Borrow a Torx Security screwdriver from your PMT and take the ipod out of the sled. Requisition a portable battery and that should get you through the scan.

My scan takes 3-4 hours.. during which I also take a break while it charges. But I also do a few laps and comb the building until I can get 100%+

I also have bluetooth issues often slowing it down.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if your stores are smaller than mine or what the difference is. It takes me 5-5.5 hours (of scanning time, I use a portable charger to not have to stop except for a 15) to get the RFID scan done thoroughly enough to not miss goal.

I'm wondering if your stores are smaller than mine or what the difference is. It takes me 5-5.5 hours (of scanning time, I use a portable charger to not have to stop except for a 15) to get the RFID scan done thoroughly enough to not miss goal.
I mean what is your average goal?

Was at another store today and asked how long it took her to scan she said five hours. I was super surprised it still takes people that long. It took me five hours once, and then two hours-ish everytime after
Ours is around 100-103k
Do you just walk by quickly aiming at everything as you go, or hold it straight up (which always seems to get just a lot around you), or? Would definitely be happier if there was a better way that cuts the time in half

Do you just walk by quickly aiming at everything as you go, or hold it straight up (which always seems to get just a lot around you), or? Would definitely be happier if there was a better way that cuts the time in half
That's exactly what I do. I get all of softlines in about 30-45 minutes. Backroom scan takes a bit longer. I usually use fifteen to twenty minutes to try and soak up as much as I can.

I usually circle an entire area, ie women's, then zip zag through it. Continue on to the next area, so on and so forth. At the end I see which area still has a decent amount of items, run through that area. I do it until all areas are under at least 100. That'll get you 99% everytime if not 100% depending on your extras.

I usually circle an entire area, ie women's, then zip zag through it. Continue on to the next area, so on and so forth. At the end I see which area still has a decent amount of items, run through that area. I do it until all areas are under at least 100. That'll get you 99% everytime if not 100% depending on your extras.
Heh, same thing we do. Keep hitting the problem areas until everything is under 100 (usually Bath, Kid's Basics, Legwear, Panties, Bras). However, at the beginning we walk the racetrack through the RFID areas, slowing down a little while at the high-density sections, like Intimates.

Heh, same thing we do. Keep hitting the problem areas until everything is under 100 (usually Bath, Kid's Basics, Legwear, Panties, Bras). However, at the beginning we walk the racetrack through the RFID areas, slowing down a little while at the high-density sections, like Intimates.
i also change out my battery before i hit the backroom, it never actually needs a battery swap since when i go to the backroom its only about an hour and fifteen minutes in to my scan... but in my head it makes it more powerful haha so i do it everytime now

Anyone notice that Sterilite was going off? We have a lot in the backroom and it went off for the boxes and again in the aisle with Sterilite. Weird.

I think the time it takes depends on your connection between My Device and Sled and how much trust you have in the thing's reach. It's a learning experience. Those of you taking 30 - 45 minutes in all of softlines by simply running willy nilly through those departments are scanning differently than those of us taking the time to hit each table and rack. Couple that with the whole problem of our RFID Sleds not being that reliable in my store and it takes us around 4.5 hrs to finish.

One of our Sleds started acting up a couple weeks ago. It quit scanning and we couldn't get it to scan again - changed the batteries, rebooted, reconnected the Blue Tooth - nothing. Found out the hard way that you can't switch Sleds in the middle of a Scan. The Program wouldn't accept the other Sled and we lost the Scan for that week.

Has anyone heard anything about Phase 3 yet? Someone mentioned it today, but I haven't heard anything about plans for it.

I'm just wondering what the best way to do the RFID Scan is? Are there any tips or tricks to getting it done faster? How sensitive is the scanner? Such as in SL do you need to scan all four sides of a rack? Cause that's what I do currently and in accessories when I scan sunglasses it seems like once I'm done it still keeps beeping. I think it's catching the boy & girls socks on the other side of the wall, do you think that could be it? It's just that sensitive? When I scan I have the trigger lock on and when I'm going back to an area it seems like it scans more accurately by just walking though the aisles and holding the mydevice instead of pointing it at all the tags on the clothes. What areas in hardlines get scanned? It seems like I just end up scanning all of the domestics, housewares, plastics, and furniture aisles just so I don't miss anything that may scan. What works best for scanning the backroom climbing ladders or no? If you don't can the sled reach the top steel rack? Tomorrow we finally got tools to take the iPod out of the sled and have a external battery so we'll see how that goes. That should fix all of the mydevice battery issues. Now I don't have to charge it every 30 min to an hour. One of our ETL's at my store told me an email from district said other stores are having issues scanning jewelry and to scan in there three times when you do your scan. Anybody else having that issue? Does anybody know if you can toggle out of checkpoint to help guests via mywork? I've been losing my Rfid scan, for unknown reasons to me. It's happened twice in the last three weeks. Anybody have any ideas? I got stuck covering a lunch in electronics, went to pull a cd for a guest and when I went back into checkpoint it took me to the login screen and lost my scan. Everybody at my store doesn't know anything about the scan. I did a scan back in December and lost the batch cause the app force quit. Come to find out we weren't even suppose to scan that week, as on of our ETL's and STL are laughing about it. I'm the only person in my store that's even the least bit knowledgeable on the RFID and even I'm still learning. Any advice would be great and we'll see what happens when I scan tomorrow.

Last edited:
The scanner should pick up most items from a distance of about 8-20 feet depending on interference. Items like sunglasses with the "C" RFID label (the small one) you'll only pick up from about 1-3 feet away. We take the device out of the sled and hook it up to a little mobile phone battery pack and then put it back in the sled when we're done. This way, you don't have to worry about battery life and since you don't need the sled, there's really no reason not to get access to a bigger battery.

The sled is supposed to have a radius of 50 feet. Keep in mind that metal tends to mess with the coding in the tags. So if tags have fallen down between the metal parts or bars of a table it might not pick up. I do not bother climbing the ladders in the backroom. I simply point the sled up toward the top shelves. It is supposed to be able to reach though I'm not convinced it always does an accurate job scanning through boxes. Some people say that you don't need to scan all four sides of a rack. To make your run faster, don't. We usually do a first walk through all departments and then when we are done we check the list for the areas that still have high numbers missing. We go revisit those areas and do a more in depth scan. For some reason in our store when the lights come on at 8am it will start picking up even more tags. I do not know why. We end up going through infant hardlines at least three times to get a full count and sunglasses sometimes needs multiple runs. Develop a pattern for scanning if at all possible and repeat the same pattern over and over again. This will also make you faster (imho at least). It works for me. Also insures I don't forget anything.

Yes, the sled does scan through some of the walls. I scan our jewelry wall carefully to pick up some of the boys and girls sock wall on the other side. I also noticed that I can get more scans on the women's wall of panties by scanning through the opposite side. Not sure why it works but it does. I even think it picks up some of the men's department through the stockroom wall. I surely do not think we are counting cereal boxes but as the men's jean wall is on the other side I can only assume it is picking up the jeans, especially when I go to the other side and it's not picking up much and yet the counts have gone down.

All of softlines gets scanned now. In hardlines it's supposed to be bedding, towels, pillows, and soft decor. This includes the aisle with dish towels and I find the curtains and rugs go off as well. I should also mention that the water shoes in the swim aisle go off as well. Sometimes they put odd things on the scan though and since you can only see the first 50 records on the My Device you can't be sure what they are scanning for without checking the report on the computer. The past two weeks Sterilite has been going off.... I know it's the Sterilite because there's nothing on either side of the aisle for it to be scanning through and it goes off in the backroom where there's nothing on the shelves but Sterilite (we have so much of it). One week they did a scan for portable electronics and another week it was some sort of snack food but these are odd scans that don't repeat every week. I think they are gearing up for the entire store to eventually be scanned in this fashion.

Don't toggle out of the scan to help guests. If you're carrying your phone on the floor use the Target Ap. (If you're not carrying your phone on the floor you might want to on scan days.) If you have other TMs on the floor use a walkie and call for assistance. Some say you can toggle out without any trouble but our equipment is so temperamental I wouldn't risk it. We begin our scan at 4am and so the first four hours of our scan the store is closed. We usually have a complete walk through of everything done by the time the doors open and are merely going through the high areas to reduce our misses and improve our score. Our ETL of LOG prefers to have everything submitted by 9am if possible so really we are only dealing with the store being open one hour while we scan.

I personally have it down to an art form. I'm down with the scan before I even have to worry about guests and charging batteries. Takes me an hour and a half to two hours. I come in at six, get down at 730-800. I start over in softlines, circle an area, zig zag through it, go to the next area. So on and so forth. I change the sled battery before I hit the backroom, not because it's dead, but because I just feel it makes it stronger and picks up more. When I'm down with the backroom I check to see what still has the most numbers then go through that area until everything is below 100. It'll get you 99%+ everytime.

Yeah, I'm going to have to stop helping guests and covering breaks. I can't keep losing my batches for no apparent reason. I started at 4 one week it was nice. Problem at my store no one knows when I can and or are suppose to start scanning. I start at 6 tomorrow so at least I'll have two hours with no guests. I usually start with guest service and fitting room and after what they said district said I'll start in jewelry. I'll also start using my phone next time I have a guest or call another tm to help. That should help too. I definitely think taking the iPod out of the sled will fix almost all my battery problems. I had issues with the zebra sleds two weeks ago they just wouldn't scan and I couldn't activate trigger lock. I'll try and not scan all four sides of the racks and see how much faster it gets me and as far as hardlines goes I'm still just not sure what I can skip/or aisles I should be scanning so I'm not scanning every aisle (at least the ones stated above). Cause I've scanned down the pyrex aisle and others and have got hits (not a lot but still get's me closer to 100%). I skipped those that aren't soft decor and others mentioned one week and I was off by like 18k I want to say. I know rugs and curtains were added to phase 2. I'll try these things tomorrow and we shall see how it goes.

Yeah, I'm going to have to stop helping guests and covering breaks. I can't keep losing my batches for no apparent reason. I started at 4 one week it was nice. Problem at my store no one knows when I can and or are suppose to start scanning. I start at 6 tomorrow so at least I'll have two hours with no guests. I usually start with guest service and fitting room and after what they said district said I'll start in jewelry. I'll also start using my phone next time I have a guest or call another tm to help. That should help too. I definitely think taking the iPod out of the sled will fix almost all my battery problems. I had issues with the zebra sleds two weeks ago they just wouldn't scan and I couldn't activate trigger lock. I'll try and not scan all four sides of the racks and see how much faster it gets me and as far as hardlines goes I'm still just not sure what I can skip/or aisles I should be scanning so I'm not scanning every aisle (at least the ones stated above). Cause I've scanned down the pyrex aisle and others and have got hits (not a lot but still get's me closer to 100%). I skipped those that aren't soft decor and others mentioned one week and I was off by like 18k I want to say. I know rugs and curtains were added to phase 2. I'll try these things tomorrow and we shall see how it goes.
You can always take a look on myperformance and see what you missed

Back