Rfid scan

I've been checking out some other posts on this thread because I needed some new tricks. But my store kinda making me upset because it looks like most of the posts ive read people scanning are able to start at 4am-6am. I start at 7a(on a truck day) at the earliest because my store is doing some stupid thing where flow needs to cover dayside now. Granted, i only need to get above 64k every week but I'm getting so frustrated. Apologies for the rant.

Question - Is that because you're in a low volume store and your expected counts is around 64K or is that because they only expect you to find 64K?

And the rest of you.... how stringent is your leadership on reaching expected counts. If the gun says you have to find 90K do you have to find 90K or do you quit at 80K or some other odd number? Just curious what the expectations are from store to store....

Question - Is that because you're in a low volume store and your expected counts is around 64K or is that because they only expect you to find 64K?

And the rest of you.... how stringent is your leadership on reaching expected counts. If the gun says you have to find 90K do you have to find 90K or do you quit at 80K or some other odd number? Just curious what the expectations are from store to store....

Green=98%. We are expected to get that at a minimum. Usually they want 100...

We start at 7. We get darn close to 100 every week. In stocks looks at areas that are missing high quantities and goes back through until they don't get any more beeps. I learned from my last company that some RFID labels are quiet and you might not pick them up the first time through.

If expected is 100k and I hit 98k (green) with time to spare I run my time up to 11:57 returning to the highest missing area but if I barely get green level of counted before time's up they're fine with me just submitting at that point. If we aren't green yet I keep going past noon but it's been a very long time since that's happened.

Green=98%. We are expected to get that at a minimum. Usually they want 100...

And you will never get a %100. You want a %100 you have to have zero theft and zero mistakes in stocking and backstocking and every single tag has to be readable and they are not.

Wow.... It takes us a 4am - 12pm scan sometimes to get it all and believe me we aren't screwing around. Some of you make it sound like you just walk through a department and keep on walking and get it all done in 2 hrs flat and hit the goal like a champion. IF the darn thing was that great at picking things up the first time I could do this too. But generally there are areas that have to be scanned going on three to five times before they actually quit beeping.... don't get me wrong, they quit beeping at a point after the first and second scan and even the third or fourth (so you thought you had them all) but then you come back through and it goes off again. :p

Wow.... It takes us a 4am - 12pm scan sometimes to get it all and believe me we aren't screwing around. Some of you make it sound like you just walk through a department and keep on walking and get it all done in 2 hrs flat and hit the goal like a champion. IF the darn thing was that great at picking things up the first time I could do this too. But generally there are areas that have to be scanned going on three to five times before they actually quit beeping.... don't get me wrong, they quit beeping at a point after the first and second scan and even the third or fourth (so you thought you had them all) but then you come back through and it goes off again. :p
I do 7-12 and just walk quickly by aiming at the racks, slow down for tables, and just keep going.
I walk straight lines through the entire department (most of the hanging racks are lined up well for that) aiming quickly left and right as I pass by. I also turn my RFID scanner off and back on when it slows down picking things up and hit the last rack or table again then move on. It ends up getting overlap on the departments as you are still in it the first time to help get things I missed so I have less to do after the first full pass.
I also have a charger I use so I never have to stop scanning to charge it and change the RFID scanner battery after I take my 15 when the sales floor is done before I hit the back room.

If I pass through an area after the first pass and it's only giving me 1s and 2s I just go to the next one otherwise I'll never leave an area.

I am more in your camp than the easy scan camp. Remember a few things, physical location is one part = interference from metal can wreak havoc on how those guns read. I make sure to walk softlines floor pads in a grid one pass high, next pass low on how I swing the gun. Swap the zebra battery every couple of hours you will not believe how much it will pick up after a swap. It made my bosses less nervous when you laid out all the pieces and there was a very small window of the scanner without power. If I swap a battery and get heavy hits in an area I will pause until it dies off then keep going.

The panty bins I tend to pause between them cause you can walk by them forever and you will get hits every single time I find if I just stop and let the gun read for a minute it will go quiet and stay quiet. Raising and lowering the gun you would be amazed at how many you pick up - I think its the interference from the metal shelves. We have some aisles of the back room that are you get two beeps and its all bath towels, you have almost pull each damn Waco out for that gun to read a tag.

Keep at it..

Thats the expected. And I am in a low volume store. Yesterday's expected count was 76k (expected changes often for me) from and I'm told to watch the missed count and ignore the actual counted score(get it under 2%) Make sense to me but our neighboring store who is same size still starts at 6am for their unload (rfid starts at 6am). All in all, I am told our GTL wants the 7am unload, and STL is cutting hours so much I get average 4hrs to scan because I'm called out by name for backup by the STL (LOD on wednesdays). I say something and I get variation of "guests come first". My store is messed up. Lol

We regularly get over 100% with extras.

We do too.. But extras isn't what its looking for. You are never going to hit zero for what its looking for. And extra's in honesty shouldn't count towards the score. In target fashion extra's are being used to cheat the system to get to the magic number they are looking for.

Thats the expected. And I am in a low volume store. Yesterday's expected count was 76k (expected changes often for me) from and I'm told to watch the missed count and ignore the actual counted score(get it under 2%) Make sense to me but our neighboring store who is same size still starts at 6am for their unload (rfid starts at 6am). All in all, I am told our GTL wants the 7am unload, and STL is cutting hours so much I get average 4hrs to scan because I'm called out by name for backup by the STL (LOD on wednesdays). I say something and I get variation of "guests come first". My store is messed up. Lol
We are LV and had 71000 this week, took a little over 3 hours when starting at 7am.

We are LV and had 71000 this week, took a little over 3 hours when starting at 7am.
Is that with the truck being unloaded as well?? My store is using the metered unload as well. I've gotten my leader to unload in two parts just so I can get the scan done faster.
I send in the numbers at 11:45am because I'm not allowed to go past that per STL.

Edit: Just wondering if I'm going at a good pace...

Last edited:
We do the scan 8am-2pm. We're an A volume store, and can usually reach 98%. I feel like if I go any faster I'll have to search for hits at the end, which takes longer. You really have to watch how the numbers change,and if it's only picking up 1 each every time it beeps, it's time to move on. I do a brisk pace per shelf/section but it takes forever to move through all the racks. I run through each department twice, some tables/racks even 3 times.

Backroom tip: rubber band the Zebra gun to a mop handle, and you can reach up to the upper locations without using the Wave or ladders. If you could get a pool cleaning pole it would probably work even better.

Not being able to save & resume the scan later is ridiculous.

My STL wants me to hit done the moment we reach 98% of expected. Lost data has been a problem in my store. If I set the devices on the charger (or even if I keep it with me) for break, it's liable to crash when I resume scanning. I have to call my TL over to scan while I'm on break. I keep a battery backup, and a fresh zebra battery on me. Last time, the zebra got stuck on red, so I disconnected Bluetooth, as I usually do, and reconnected it in Settings, but checkpoint would not accept that there was a device connected. After much debate and troubleshooting by several people, I had to give up and restart. 4 hours of work lost. /rant, sorry

And you will never get a %100. You want a %100 you have to have zero theft and zero mistakes in stocking and backstocking and every single tag has to be readable and they are not.
I mean we get 100% a lot... It's just because of the extras though

Yeah I get in at 6,done by 730ish. But it appears I just have it easy.

Backroom tip: rubber band the Zebra gun to a mop handle, and you can reach up to the upper locations without using the Wave or ladders. If you could get a pool cleaning pole it would probably work even better.

All I can picture is my zebra falling and smashing all over the backroom floor.

My STL wants me to hit done the moment we reach 98% of expected. Lost data has been a problem in my store. If I set the devices on the charger (or even if I keep it with me) for break, it's liable to crash when I resume scanning. I have to call my TL over to scan while I'm on break. I keep a battery backup, and a fresh zebra battery on me. Last time, the zebra got stuck on red, so I disconnected Bluetooth, as I usually do, and reconnected it in Settings, but checkpoint would not accept that there was a device connected. After much debate and troubleshooting by several people, I had to give up and restart. 4 hours of work lost. /rant, sorry

This has happened to me multiple times. Some (most) of the mydevices just don't seem to cooperate with the zebra for whatever reason. They start off well enough to give you that false sense of security, and then nope.

Yeah I get in at 6,done by 730ish. But it appears I just have it easy.

You won't even reach a quarter of our count in that amount of time.. Our store is a nightmare, my ETL was frustrated with how long it took me, until he did it a week I took off.. The complaints have stopped cold.. And its now "take what time you need, and here is charging brick for the MyDevice."

Has anyone seen positive results from RFID? We seem so light and when I say light I mean empty in kid's basics.

Has anyone seen positive results from RFID? We seem so light and when I say light I mean empty in kid's basics.
Nope. I'm more convinced than ever that it doesn't actually do anything.

On our last scan day, I was using one scanner to locate an item in RTW at the same time as another TM was working the scan in the same area. When I first typed in the DPCI, it gave a message that said we had no inventory. A few minutes later, I backed out then hit next again and it suddenly said we had three. They were over in the area that the other TM was scanning in.

We actually have wayyyy to much softlines... Idk if it's a result of rfid or DC just dumping on us because we have some of the highest sales in softlines in the country.

Back