Seasonal employee training

I started a seasonal position at Target about two weeks ago. I have been trained in OPU, SFS, working the line, pulling and pushing to the floor. The past two days I have been specifically “trained” to work the line for domestics (furniture,bedding,bath etc) and push them to the floor. Is seasonal usually trained in several areas? Or specifically to one area such as B block? Just curious 🙃

I started a seasonal position at Target about two weeks ago. I have been trained in OPU, SFS, working the line, pulling and pushing to the floor. The past two days I have been specifically “trained” to work the line for domestics (furniture,bedding,bath etc) and push them to the floor. Is seasonal usually trained in several areas? Or specifically to one area such as B block? Just curious 🙃
Learn as much as you can. If you want to stay after the "seasonal" position is over, it will help to know everything.

Probably at least partly an ASANTS thing and it's probably partly a product of the times we find ourselves in. Could be your store's leadership is trying to find the right spot for you. Could be they're cross-training you widely because we're all having to fill holes in lots of different places now; the more holes you're capable of filling well, the more valuable you are. That translates to getting more shifts and a greater likelihood of being kept on after the seasonal time frame. My store has hired quite a few new people recently to help us keep up with SFS orders. I won't be at all surprised if a few of them are asked to stay on, but they won't all be just because it won't be necessary.

Learn as much as you can. If you want to stay after the "seasonal" position is over, it will help to know everything.

I would like to. It’s been the perfect part time job so far, super flexible and I enjoy the work. If they don’t hold on to me, it’s okay, I’ll be happy for the experience. I’ve always worked in healthcare, so it’s been super refreshing learning something totally different.

Probably at least partly an ASANTS thing and it's probably partly a product of the times we find ourselves in. Could be your store's leadership is trying to find the right spot for you. Could be they're cross-training you widely because we're all having to fill holes in lots of different places now; the more holes you're capable of filling well, the more valuable you are. That translates to getting more shifts and a greater likelihood of being kept on after the seasonal time frame. My store has hired quite a few new people recently to help us keep up with SFS orders. I won't be at all surprised if a few of them are asked to stay on, but they won't all be just because it won't be necessary.

I’m hoping they see potential and that’s why they’re constantly training me in a new area every shift? Or I suck at everything and they’re trying to fit me in somewhere 🤣

We cut most of our seasonal employees today. A few had only worked one or two shifts. Brutal.
Wow. I haven't been picking orders the last couple of days because we have so many seasonal TMs to do it, but it seems like we're still having lots of both pick-up and ship orders going out. Maybe this is going to be a state-by-state thing, as life gets back to normal? (Or whatever "normal" means in the coming months.)

Who do I talk to if I want to stay on if they have the ability to? HR asked me if I wanted to when I tweaked my availability but I don’t know if I should talk to you someone else?

Who do I talk to if I want to stay on if they have the ability to? HR asked me if I wanted to when I tweaked my availability but I don’t know if I should talk to you someone else?

Tell all the HR people in your store. Tell the Store Director. Tell you Team Lead. Tell your ETL.

The more people you tell, the better your chances.

Also, don't call out. Volunteer to work additional shifts either by being called in or via the swap book. Don't show up late. Don't clock out early. Don't take long meal breaks.

Tell all the HR people in your store. Tell the Store Director. Tell you Team Lead. Tell your ETL.

The more people you tell, the better your chances.

Also, don't call out. Volunteer to work additional shifts either by being called in or via the swap book. Don't show up late. Don't clock out early. Don't take long meal breaks.

Definitely don’t/won’t. I’m usually scheduled close to 40 hours so I can’t pick up... thanks for the advice!

Back