security tag removal tools

Do security tag removal tools wear out and lose some of their magnet power? The one next to self check out doesn't work on the red tags at least 1/3 of the time despite multiple tries (10-20 times). I end up having to take the clothes up to guest services and use their tool which is slightly different and works right away. Its really frustrating. Would asking for a new one help?

It’s worth a try. I’ve seen them fall apart but not demagnetize. The type of removal tool in guest services probably has a better design, see if you can get one of those. 😁

Do most stores have removal tools at SCO? I find it most irritating to have to run between SCO and a register to remove the newly implemented in my store red tags!

Is a different magnetic key than what electronics uses? The ones we tried weren't strong enough.

having removal tools at SCO would completely defeat the purpose of the tags if guests can remove them
My store and another has them. one was behind the machine so it’d look Super suspicious if you reach over there anyways. My Store really isn’t that big of a problem on theft so it’s literally just permanently mounted and available for everyone to use it’s just kind of unseen by guests thankfully.

but in the event that I guess did use the security Magnet best believe that our store manager would have it removed

Do security tag removal tools wear out and lose some of their magnet power? The one next to self check out doesn't work on the red tags at least 1/3 of the time despite multiple tries (10-20 times). I end up having to take the clothes up to guest services and use their tool which is slightly different and works right away. Its really frustrating. Would asking for a new one help?
the red clothing tags can only be taken off with the large circle magnets, not the s3 hand key that unlocks spiderwraps and keepers. ap is in charge of ordering merch pro including detachers. we have extras in our office at my store, so it wouldn’t hurt to ask your ap leader. :)

Last edited:
having removal tools at SCO would completely defeat the purpose of the tags if guests can remove them
honestly speaking most guests aka thieves are not smart enough to figure out how to unlock a spiderwrap or keeper lol. it would take them way too long to figure it out and eventually someone would see them. having a detacher mounted at sco is really no different than someone going to an empty checklane and using that one.

the red clothing tags can only be taken off with the large circle magnets, not the s3 hand key that unlocks spiderwraps and keepers. ap is in charge of ordering merch pro including detachers. we have extras in our office at my store, so it wouldn’t hurt to ask your ap leader. :)

There is another tool that we got that looks like a really beefy mag key that takes off all of the tags, the red ones, the yellow ones, spider wraps. We have two in the back room, one on the receiving desk and the prep desk for SFS. Is that the pro detacher? Either way they are awesome.. The circle magnet is a work around for the red tags since you have to get it just right..

Red tags can be removed with the dual s3 mag key.
do you mean the one with the small circle as well as the two prongs? i’ve never been able to with those. red tags are a test merch pro concept so only certain stores have them and i am not one of those stores. so i have a limited experience with them.

There is another tool that we got that looks like a really beefy mag key that takes off all of the tags, the red ones, the yellow ones, spider wraps. We have two in the back room, one on the receiving desk and the prep desk for SFS. Is that the pro detacher? Either way they are awesome.. The circle magnet is a work around for the red tags since you have to get it just right..
I really like that one, except for the fact that I feel the two prong things are on the wrong side. The tool feels left handed instead of right, and considering most people are right handed...

Back