Archived Senior Team Leads.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow senior team leads, I have a question. How do you balance the requirements of staying until your closing LOD arrives and prepared to hand off and stay within my scheduled 40 hours? For example; my opening LOD shifts I'm scheduled until 3:30pm. Today the closing LOD didn't arrive until 4:15pm even though the shift began at 3pm. After all is said and done, I didn't leave until 5 which put me an hour and a half over 40 hours. Plus, on my closing shifts I'm scheduled until 11:30pm but after cash office and closing loops and everything else I'm always leaving 12-midnight or later. How do my fellow senior team leads do it? Questions, comments, concerns, ideas are all appreciated.

I try and cut by coming in later or leaving early sometimes. During the regular time of the year it's normally not a problem but this 4th qt I have just been racking up the OT. I really never have a problem handing over on time. If the closer was going to be late and I had to go due to hours another LOD would just listen out until the closer got in. Closing I am scheduled 1 hr after close and normally we can make it. If I am going to be later I just come in later then next day.

There are 8 total LODs at my store (STL, 4 ETLs other than pharmacy, and I'm 1 of 3 Sr TLs), so we never have a problem of needing to stay late just to make sure there is at least 1 there. For cutting time, I always clock in 4 minutes late (cuts a few minutes, but I'm not "late"), add a few minutes to every lunch, and make sure I'm scheduled late enough on my closes that I don't have to stay late.

My closing LOD shifts generally go like this: scheduled 3:15p-11:45p. Clock in at 3:19, 40 minute lunch, clock out at 11:25p. That cut 34 minutes off my time, which is great because I stayed 25 minutes late on Sunday. Just curious, but what do you do after the store is closed? I'll admit that there are more things that I could double and triple check, but I clocked out at 11:17p tonight, just 17 minutes after closing the store.

Edit: Also, if you are consistently leaving at a certain time, talk to HR and see if you can get scheduled for that time. You're going to stay that late anyway and it's forcing you to cut time on other days.

Last edited:
There are 8 total LODs at my store (STL, 4 ETLs other than pharmacy, and I'm 1 of 3 Sr TLs), so we never have a problem of needing to stay late just to make sure there is at least 1 there. For cutting time, I always clock in 4 minutes late (cuts a few minutes, but I'm not "late"), add a few minutes to every lunch, and make sure I'm scheduled late enough on my closes that I don't have to stay late.

My closing LOD shifts generally go like this: scheduled 3:15p-11:45p. Clock in at 3:19, 40 minute lunch, clock out at 11:25p. That cut 34 minutes off my time, which is great because I stayed 25 minutes late on Sunday. Just curious, but what do you do after the store is closed? I'll admit that there are more things that I could double and triple check, but I clocked out at 11:17p tonight, just 17 minutes after closing the store.

Edit: Also, if you are consistently leaving at a certain time, talk to HR and see if you can get scheduled for that time. You're going to stay that late anyway and it's forcing you to cut time on other days.
How the heck did yall get out 17 minutes after closing??? We stay 1-2 hours every night getting the zone right and putting reshop out. We cant leave reshop anymore.

Only the LOD and the GSA/GSTL are scheduled after close at my store. Everyone else leaves by the time the store closes, and a bunch of them leave an hour before close. I'm surprised any store still has team members working after close since we switched to myTime, but I guess the leadership can just change it. We leave the reshop and the zone as it is. And really, as much as I'd love to spend that much time making the store look great without any interruptions, guests are why we're here. You might be able to get a lot done, but that leave a lot fewer hours to spend with guests in the store, so I know my store would have guests complaining left and right that there is no one to help them out. Our vibe scores are bad enough as it is.

Market and electronics are scheduled to leave at close this week, but everyone else is until 30 minutes after.

My store has a number of sales floor TMs to 45 mins past close, as well as the closing GSA/GSTL, the Service Desk TM, and the LOD of course. Occasionally a closing cashier.

Whatever reshop hasn't been completed 45 mins past close gets left for opening team.

How the heck did yall get out 17 minutes after closing??? We stay 1-2 hours every night getting the zone right and putting reshop out. We cant leave reshop anymore.

We have LOD and GSA/TL scheduled till a half hour after close, then 1-2 cashiers scheduled till 15 mins after close. Salesfloor I believe is usually scheduled till close, but they might be 15 mins after sometimes too.

Getting three or four people to stay over an hour after close isn't going to un-fuck the store. If the opening or mid people don't care about the zone or re-shop, I don't see why it should be left for the closing team.

Maybe if we weren't spending 3/4 of our shifts cashing or getting sucked into electronics, we'd have a chance to un-fuck the store.

Only the LOD and the GSA/GSTL are scheduled after close at my store. Everyone else leaves by the time the store closes, and a bunch of them leave an hour before close. I'm surprised any store still has team members working after close since we switched to myTime, but I guess the leadership can just change it. We leave the reshop and the zone as it is. And really, as much as I'd love to spend that much time making the store look great without any interruptions, guests are why we're here. You might be able to get a lot done, but that leave a lot fewer hours to spend with guests in the store, so I know my store would have guests complaining left and right that there is no one to help them out. Our vibe scores are bad enough as it is.

YES!!!

Our store goes by on a case by case basis...Sometimes the store is so messed up and we as a salesfloor team are up at the checklanes almost every half hour so sometimes we just zone the endcaps and work out reshop.

Four of us (inc the STL) stayed two hours past close the other night, sorting abandoned and zoning because a) we couldn't bear to have the openers walk in and see all that crap or b) we have no lives other than Target or c) we knew no one else would do it the next day so it would be worse our next close or d) all of the above.

Q4's a killer in retail. I don't think it matters if it's Target, WalMart, Nordstrom or the corner liquor store.

We must be in the minority then- we close at 11 and the whole sales floor team (softlines, hardlines, electronics, market, and fitting room) is scheduled until 12am. We normally stay anywhere from 1145-1am depending how bad the store is. We don't leave any mess for the next day and we try to have all the abandons done. The opening TM's have to focus on 4x4's so they can't be spending their time with abandons.

We must be in the minority then- we close at 11 and the whole sales floor team (softlines, hardlines, electronics, market, and fitting room) is scheduled until 12am. We normally stay anywhere from 1145-1am depending how bad the store is. We don't leave any mess for the next day and we try to have all the abandons done. The opening TM's have to focus on 4x4's so they can't be spending their time with abandons.

It honestly depends on the volume of stores. I honestly think at a certain point it is pointless to even attempt zoning during the day. I have seen stores go 400K+ multiple days in a row and Target is just not setup to handle that kind of sales volume. At that point you just try and work reshop and pulls and keep up at the lanes with the 4 cashiers you have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back