Archived Service Desk Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got promised by one of the GSAs at my store that I could try working at the service desk tomorrow and see how I like it. What should I know before I go in? I figure that I won't be told everything in my training, so I think it would be helpful if I came in already prepared.

Make sure you have a walkie so you can call the GSTL/GSA for help if needed. And if you have to deal with any bitchy guests, don't let them get to you; most guests aren't like that.

Here's a link to our guide. Many things have changed over the years, but it's a start.

off the top of my head, good things to know that the shady folks might use against the new folks:
  • price match is allowed to stack with team member discounts and the redcard, but NOT cartwheel. we get folks who try to stack amazon matches with 30% deals on Rosetta Stone and they're probably resellers but once we tell them that we don't allow cartwheel + price match, they peace out. And then come back a couple weeks later to try again. And then we deny them again. And they go "can't you just scan it and see if it works?" and we go "what the fuck? no? do you need a Rosetta Stone to learn English? we don't allow Cartwheel with Price Match, holy shit." But sometimes you also get guests who just wanna check out all at once and have cartwheel for other things. Long story short, play it safe and always do price matches as a separate transaction, THEN ring the rest of their stuff up and scan cartwheel for that stuff.
  • As service desk, you ARE the buyer. You're the customer. Make sure that you're buying back the stuff that they're claiming to be selling you. Check inside boxes. Check the serials on TVs, not just the outside box. Check the serials on beats headphones (typically printed on the cable of the earbuds near the ear, or on the metal inside if you extend the headphones all the way out). If you're not sure, get the GSA/GSTL or whoever's training you at service desk over to do a second look. You will get unhappy guests and their satisfaction with you checking their shit has nothing to do with the truthfulness of their claims. Apologize. Say you're new. Doesn't matter. There's probably some finer points here but it's early in the morning and whatever.
  • Actually, I was gonna say that point was probably important for mostly electronics and big ticket items, but that reminded me about electronics: if it's an item with any kind of storageable memory (flash drives, iPods, consoles, SD cards), you defect that shit out. If it's left the store, you don't know what information is sitting on it and you don't wanna be the one at the center of a liability suit because the next guy found Senator McWhitebread's tasty nudes at your store.
Apart from that.... get to know the sort function and do your best to keep your actual desk clean and keep the walkways free of reshop. Try to get big items off of the floor and back on the sales floor (this may depend on your LOD; a walkie is a must for SD, so you can communicate with the GSA/GSTL and the LOD and whoever else to stay on top of things). But I find my most stressful times at service desk are when everything's a mess and I can't keep my thoughts straight. Keep the place neat and it makes everything a little more zen.

Steel yourself for the possibility of taking phone calls from guests. They're really not that bad. (This might not apply to you, but I found calls to be the worst part of starting SD. then again, I didn't have any prior call-taking experience, as I was strictly cashier) Also, take a minute and ask your trainer about the phone buttons. Know your mute button, just in case you need to put someone on a quick hold to ask your trainer something. But also, if you've taken the call and you're putting them on hold again, do your best to not keep them waiting too long. I've had a couple instances where I keep someone on hold for a very unacceptable amount of time and they get pissed. If you're gonna be too busy to take a call, don't bother trying -- if the operator is telling you there's a call, say you're busy and ask what they need. You'd be surprised how many times the guest's issue can be answered with a single question over the walkie. Then again, maybe that's just my store and my operators.

Eehhhhhh..... I think that's all I've got. The basic return process is honestly a very simple flowchart:
  • did the guest bring a receipt? scan it, scan the items, follow the prompts
  • did the guest not bring a receipt, but purchased the item with a credit or a debit card?* When you're logged in, hit K5 ("Functions"), and then K2 ("Receipt Lookup"), and follow the prompts. if it didn't work on the first card but they have more cards to try, void the transaction and start from the top of this bullet. (that is, don't necessarily jump to using their ID for a no-receipt)
  • did the guest not have a receipt, and paid cash (or their credit/debit card didn't work?) Typically, this is the point of a no-receipt return, where you scan the guest's driver's license or state ID or passport and give them a giftcard back for the amount of the items. but, again, if there's a questionable method here, YOU are the customer and if it feels uncertain (or, hell, even for your first day), get the SDTM/GSA over to double check and develop your own sense of when it's okay and not okay to be doing this stuff. ASANTS, so maybe your store is down with accepting big bags of makeup returns with no questions asked, but they probably shouldn't be. Basically, if you reach this point, tread lightly if it looks like the giftcard is totaling up to, say, $50+. Tread double-lightly if the guest has reached this point by skipping the flowchart and immediately presented expensive items and an ID, like they're more familiar with the returns process than you are.
Okay, NOW that's all I have to say for now. Sorry. Jeez. Good luck. You'll be fine. Service Desk gets a lot of complicated processes but returns will be a super easy part of it and that is typically the bulk of your job, so just do your best with it and learn the more elusive stuff as you proceed.

* this is super minor, but the receipt lookup function does (or used to) allow you to look up receipts purchased by check as well, if the guest brings in another check from that same account.... but I find the folks who pay by check are also the folks who keep every receipt, and come in with their CPA to make sure it's all itemized correctly once you've handed back every last penny, so you'll probably never need to worry about using a check lookup. Still, you never know!

off the top of my head, good things to know that the shady folks might use against the new folks
  • did the guest not have a receipt, and paid cash (or their credit/debit card didn't work?) Typically, this is the point of a no-receipt return, where you scan the guest's driver's license or state ID or passport and give them a giftcard back for the amount of the items. but, again, if there's a questionable method here, YOU are the customer and if it feels uncertain (or, hell, even for your first day), get the SDTM/GSA over to double check and develop your own sense of when it's okay and not okay to be doing this stuff. ASANTS, so maybe your store is down with accepting big bags of makeup returns with no questions asked, but they probably shouldn't be. Basically, if you reach this point, tread lightly if it looks like the giftcard is totaling up to, say, $50+. Tread double-lightly if the guest has reached this point by skipping the flowchart and immediately presented expensive items and an ID, like they're more familiar with the returns process than you are.

This is the point where you need to ask for help, especially when new bc this is prime territory for scammers. Know your store's rules. My store? A big bag of makeup requires a receipt or no go. We only do no receipt returns for up to $50. If the yellow (orange?) screen of "you can only exchange this for $xx.xx", you definitely know you are in the prescence of a scammer and just shut down the return, saying it's not possible bc your system won't let you go any further.

A big thing at our store: air mattresses. Can't be returned if opened, only exchanged for another air mattress. People get really irritated with this one so we've started telling all guests BEFORE they purchase them what the policy is.

Its been 8 years since I last did Service Desk. So my info is old. I was the Service Desk go to guy then I got pushed to FA and Sales Floor when there was turnover. It was a lot to remember but easy to follow.

-Return scenerios were listed on a grid, and had to be followed.
-Receipt for return. Use your judgement if something is weird.
-Follow policy
-Requires multitasking. You may have to handle two return transactions at the same time.
-Try to resolve situations before calling the GSTL/LOD.
-Make sure you get all your defects situated.

Return scenario grid doesn't exist at my store. And trust your gut. If a person seems shady, 9/10 they are. And the louder they get when you ask for more information, the more likely they are trying to pull one over one you. In my experience, people with legit returns don't make a fuss.

Basically dealing with a few scammers here and there, if you have any questions on a shady transaction just ask the GSA. It's not that difficult. Take your time and don't sweat it.

There's a lot to learn at the service desk, it can be a bit overwhelming but once you get a routine down you will probably like it. I started out as a cashier and I much prefer working at the service desk. Take a few shifts if you can and give yourself time to see if you want to work over there more. They might need more people and this will be your chance to switch over if that's what you want.

I can't really think of anything important that hasn't already been said, but you can always PM me or post any specific questions you have here.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Unfortunately, another cashier called off right as I started my training, so I only got to observe for about 15 minutes before going back to the check lanes for the rest of my shift. I just love my luck.

Do you have a guest service reference guide? Those were a thing a few years ago, and they broke down how to handle different types of transactions as well as the associated best practices.

If we do, I've never seen it.

I don't have any training guides in my store for GS. The ones we do have are from 2012. It's okay for a few basics. I mostly use mine to show trainees what all the Defective stickers look like. But there have been so many changes, the guides are useless. I wish they'd order more up-to-date ones. It makes training a little difficult. I do my best to train the "best practice" methods, but I'm sure there are a lot of things I do that aren't necessarily brand. It's like trying to teach a language to someone, yet teaching them slang rather than proper grammar. Oh well. It doesn't seem to have caused any issues.

The thing about Service Desk, is a lot of cases are situational. You have a lot of tools at your disposal though. So there are two things to keep in mind: do the best you can to make things right for the guest, while still adhering to policy and other sensible practices. So don't just open your drawer and give people money. Do it the right way. Just know there are multiple ways to do things the right way. If that makes any sense.

I don't have any training guides in my store for GS. The ones we do have are from 2012. It's okay for a few basics. I mostly use mine to show trainees what all the Defective stickers look like. But there have been so many changes, the guides are useless. I wish they'd order more up-to-date ones.
The one that my store has uses the Wii as an example for the video game exchange policy. I got a kick out of that.

So KingBear explained returns, I shall tackle what is known as CHARGEBACKS.

Chargebacks are basically defective items, why the name? I have absolutely no idea. I just know that that's what they're called.

There are a few categories of which defective items can be sorted into: Salvage, CRC, Toss, Donate, and ESIM.

- Salvage: these defective items are explained in the name, it's anything that can be salvageable but still can't be sold as is. Say a toy is still in good condition but just has a messed up box and a few parts are missing, this is salvageable.
-CRC: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT type of defective item. These are usually electronics but do include other items. These have to be sent to I forget where and if one item is missing from the cart, we don't get any money back for it. (So I'm told.)
- Toss: or otherwise known as Destroy is also self explanatory, it's stuff that goes to the trash after being processed. Like if a guest returns food, it automatically prompts you to toss it because there's no possible way we can donate it for health reasons.
- Donate: Now the only possible way you can donate something is if it was defected in the store and never left the store. This is usually when you go to charge it back using the sort function which I'll explain later.
- ESIM: these are defective chemical items that have to be properly disposed of. Items like makeup, detergent, shampoo, medicine, cleanings sprays, etc. These items have to be bagged and zip tied so nothing leaks out and placed in the proper bin to be taken to the back. Sometimes you might even have to clean up the bottle and bag it twice with towels inside just in case it leaks.

Now that you know what these all are, there are two scenarios in which you can charge something back; during a return transaction or when you log on to specifically do chargeback.

1. During a return transaction it's become customary, at least at my store, to ask "Was there anything wrong with these items?" Sometimes you'll get people to just say yes and tell you the truth but sometimes you'll be given an obviously defective item but the guest lies because they still think that they can't return it if anything is wrong. After scanning the receipt, using their credit/debit card, or their I.D. the computer will ask you if anything was wrong using the K1 for Yes and K3 for No. If yes, it'll automatically prompt one of the categories but you can override to another category depending on your best judgment. The only one you can't change is CRC. If upon closer inspection you see nothing wrong you just hit K8 for Nothing's Wrong and it'll take you back to a regular return.
2. Doing chargeback all you have to do is hit K8 - Sort Stuff and log in. After that you can either scan each item and hit K4- Make Defective and do the same process as I explained in 1. with override and whatnot. Or as soon as you login to sort stuff, hit K4 and it'll automatically make each item defective as soon as you scan it.

That's pretty much it. It's a lot to know but once you get he hang of it it becomes second nature. Any others feel free to add or correct anything.

So KingBear explained returns, I shall tackle what is known as CHARGEBACKS.

Chargebacks are basically defective items, why the name? I have absolutely no idea. I just know that that's what they're called.

There are a few categories of which defective items can be sorted into: Salvage, CRC, Toss, Donate, and ESIM.

- Salvage: these defective items are explained in the name, it's anything that can be salvageable but still can't be sold as is. Say a toy is still in good condition but just has a messed up box and a few parts are missing, this is salvageable.
-CRC: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT type of defective item. These are usually electronics but do include other items. These have to be sent to I forget where and if one item is missing from the cart, we don't get any money back for it. (So I'm told.)
- Toss: or otherwise known as Destroy is also self explanatory, it's stuff that goes to the trash after being processed. Like if a guest returns food, it automatically prompts you to toss it because there's no possible way we can donate it for health reasons.
- Donate: Now the only possible way you can donate something is if it was defected in the store and never left the store. This is usually when you go to charge it back using the sort function which I'll explain later.
- ESIM: these are defective chemical items that have to be properly disposed of. Items like makeup, detergent, shampoo, medicine, cleanings sprays, etc. These items have to be bagged and zip tied so nothing leaks out and placed in the proper bin to be taken to the back. Sometimes you might even have to clean up the bottle and bag it twice with towels inside just in case it leaks.

Now that you know what these all are, there are two scenarios in which you can charge something back; during a return transaction or when you log on to specifically do chargeback.

1. During a return transaction it's become customary, at least at my store, to ask "Was there anything wrong with these items?" Sometimes you'll get people to just say yes and tell you the truth but sometimes you'll be given an obviously defective item but the guest lies because they still think that they can't return it if anything is wrong. After scanning the receipt, using their credit/debit card, or their I.D. the computer will ask you if anything was wrong using the K1 for Yes and K3 for No. If yes, it'll automatically prompt one of the categories but you can override to another category depending on your best judgment. The only one you can't change is CRC. If upon closer inspection you see nothing wrong you just hit K8 for Nothing's Wrong and it'll take you back to a regular return.
2. Doing chargeback all you have to do is hit K8 - Sort Stuff and log in. After that you can either scan each item and hit K4- Make Defective and do the same process as I explained in 1. with override and whatnot. Or as soon as you login to sort stuff, hit K4 and it'll automatically make each item defective as soon as you scan it.

That's pretty much it. It's a lot to know but once you get he hang of it it becomes second nature. Any others feel free to add or correct anything.
Most of that was explained to me in my 15ish minutes of "training", but thanks for going into more detail! I was wondering what CRC meant.

Also, I was told that I have to take quizzes to be officially approved to work at the service desk. Are they difficult?

Most of that was explained to me in my 15ish minutes of "training", but thanks for going into more detail! I was wondering what CRC meant.

Also, I was told that I have to take quizzes to be officially approved to work at the service desk. Are they difficult?

Quizzes? Never had to take any of those.

Yeah, apparently I was supposed to take one about alcohol sales as part of my cashier training, but that never happened. I was kind of surprised that I need to take quizzes.

Yeah, apparently I was supposed to take one about alcohol sales as part of my cashier training, but that never happened. I was kind of surprised that I need to take quizzes.

The alcohol one is the only test I know of, but that's not exclusively GS. They'll have you take it eventually.

I don't remember any quizzes either, but I also totally neglected the learning plan until my GSTL came up and said "SIGN THIS BECAUSE YOU'VE DONE THIS FOR THREE MONTHS AND NEVER OFFICIALLY GOT CONFIRMED." You'll probably be fine; at least at my store, you can retake the quiz multiple times until you pass. If it's on Workbench, the quiz modules also tell you the right answer after you submit your answer. I mean, don't abuse it, but don't sweat it too hard if you mess up. Take a moment to soak the answers in and just try again. (Again, though, I'd maybe check with your store if this is just, like, our HR's way of not worrying about training or something, haha)

One thing I'd add to the defective/chargeback thing is something about the "ESIM BAG AND SEAL" sorting option, because 90% of your bagging will go into the special ESIM tub, but some CRC items also come up as "BAG AND SEAL" and it's SUPER ANNOYING. So if your white sticker's icon is, like, a recycling arrow thing but with a big E in the middle, make sure you throw it in with CRC, because those guys are counted with CRC's list for receiving and like BrohemianRapcity said, it's a big deal if one of those items is missing. Anything else (ST, O, CB, etc) just goes in the ESIM box easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back