Archived Sexual harassment in the work place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigelow

Trying to keep my girls from becoming strippers.
Someone at work recommended this site to me and I'd like some input on a certain situation. One of the girls I work with confided in me that another TM is "after her" in the sense that he drops subtle hints about them "dating." At first we just played if off guys do that kind of stupid shit (I know I did!) and it wasn't a big deal. That was until she told me before I left this afternoon that something he said made her extremely uncomfortable. During a light hearted conversation he began talking about female breasts to a point where she ended the conversation here and there. I told her to speak with an ETL-HR (who wasn't there to today) even the STL if she needed to. However, I have a feeling she won't say anything so what do I do? I feel like it's not my place and its out of my hands but we can't have that going on.

If you don't think she will report it, then you should say something.
Just do it as a "Hey, you guys should know that she told me this and I think this guy is creating a hostile workplace situation."
You really can't do much more than that if she isn't willing to step forward but the people in charge need to know before things blow up or he tries this on someone who is willing to either hurt him or get litigious.

If you don't think she will report it, then you should say something.
Just do it as a "Hey, you guys should know that she told me this and I think this guy is creating a hostile workplace situation."
You really can't do much more than that if she isn't willing to step forward but the people in charge need to know before things blow up or he tries this on someone who is willing to either hurt him or get litigious.
That's what I was thinking. The big issue I believe is she feels if she says something and they talk to him about it he will know she said something. It's scary for any young girl especially when you have to see this person everyday. I don't know per say if he will get fired (Target has a way of being pretty fucked up sometimes) and if he isn't that will just make things worse. It's a difficult situation for everyone involved...except the piece of shit employee.

If you're a team lead or above you have an obligation to approach HR about the situation and make sure it gets handled. If your profile is correct...that you're a HRTM...that policy might also apply to you. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Either way, usually in this situation once HR knows that this kind of situation is in place, AP is made aware and an action plan needs to be made with BP-AP involved to keep the TM safe. If retaliation happens(And it almost always does), the TM is terminated in the quickest manner possible.

Tell her that you support her but she needs to report him because it will only get worse if something isn't done. & no telling who else he could be doing this to.
Tell her to document anything he says/does (time & loc) to make her case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back