Archived SFQ...Supremely Foolish Quest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a mess. I have TM's complain constantly about merchandise being pulled that we don't need. The shelf is full and yet we're still getting entire boxes of items that won't go out on the floor. I thought this was supposed to fix that problem, but apparently not.

The flow team is terrible at my store. They're fucking this system up very badly.

The funny thing is the flow team at my store is constantly complaining about the SFTMs because the zones are "too flexed" but THEY are the ones constantly flexing and overpushing! o_O :mad:

The funny thing is the flow team at my store is constantly complaining about the SFTMs because the zones are "too flexed" but THEY are the ones constantly flexing and overpushing! o_O :mad:

When they pull that I pull up the last time it was pulled from the backroom and 9/10 times it was off the truck or the 11pm auto's.

It's a mess. I have TM's complain constantly about merchandise being pulled that we don't need. The shelf is full and yet we're still getting entire boxes of items that won't go out on the floor. I thought this was supposed to fix that problem, but apparently not.

in my experience this happens because the shelf capacity is wrong, the Floor Count is wrong and or some one, Bob from the Sales Floor, keeps overstocking and no one is correcting any of the issues so the accumulator/SFQ/Frank the Sloth keeps generating a batch with product that can no will not ever fit on the shelf.

The system can and does work. It just takes more time and effort than our greedy/lazy/near useless get it done now managers are willing to give us to get it done properly. the capacities must be right or everything after will fail and no amount of TL or ETL moaning will fix the issues.

So they wanted us to tie in pogs using the pda, so it didn't mess up SFQ...and this is why the 5pm SEA2 CAF was 61 dpci's..

in my experience this happens because the shelf capacity is wrong, the Floor Count is wrong and or some one, Bob from the Sales Floor, keeps overstocking and no one is correcting any of the issues so the accumulator/SFQ/Frank the Sloth keeps generating a batch with product that can no will not ever fit on the shelf.

The system can and does work. It just takes more time and effort than our greedy/lazy/near useless get it done now managers are willing to give us to get it done properly. the capacities must be right or everything after will fail and no amount of TL or ETL moaning will fix the issues.
I try my best to keep up with it and no matter how many times I adjust it and say "Hey we don't need anymore of this!" it still ends up on the pulls. I always check to make sure capacity and floor counts are accurate and yet it seems like no matter how much we update it to be correct we still get the same issue of product being pulled that is already full on the sales floor. That's where I'm confused because the ETL's swear up and down this will no longer be an issue, but it is. I stopped bitching to them about it last week because it's pointless.

Last edited:
Had a pull today with two coolers on it. The capacity was already at 1. There was one at the location. So why did even one get put into auto fill? I get that a backroom may pull two when it wants to pull one, but why did it want to even pull one in the first place? The location was full according to sfq and capacity. Also there was not dual locations. So there must be some issue that isn't working right. I've seen the same happen with other products

Last edited:
I have been changing capacities left and right, so far my least favorite is the new release checklanes endcap that sets EVERY week. I have to change capacities every week because it's a new POG and someone somewhere didn't take into account the bars from the fixtures that allow you to only stock 5 versus 20.

And I loved doing the sfq and capacities for the Jurassic Park shipper. :(

We set most of seasonal last night and throughout the day today, and damn near everything had an OF count of zero. So once I started backstocking, ALL OF IT tried to come back out.

Wtf...

Why does it constantly try to pull the shippers I just backstocked? I thought once you pull something, it adds it to the SFQ, and backstocking it has no effect. But I was in a constant battle with a shipper in COSM today, pulling and then immediately backstocking it every hour.

Yes, they were set months ago, and yes, some of the product can probably fit out. But nobody is ever in a million years actually going to open that box and take some product to fill the shelves. It will just end up getting pushed into a corner of the backroom again.

So they wanted us to tie in pogs using the pda, so it didn't mess up SFQ...and this is why the 5pm SEA2 CAF was 61 dpci's..

So if you tie the POGs in the PDA but don't drop a batch it rolls into the CAFs or Autofills. I've learned this the hard way when I essentially "fake tied" a bunch of salesplanners.
The only way I've avoided this is by tieing the salesplanner with the PDA and immediately changing the capacities on every item to 1 and when it asks "how many are here?" after changing capacity you answer 1. It's time consuming as all get out. (I saw somewhere they changed it so you could do a capacity of 0 but I have yet to try that).

We set most of seasonal last night and throughout the day today, and damn near everything had an OF count of zero. So once I started backstocking, ALL OF IT tried to come back out.

Wtf...

I was told with Seasonal to tie and batch with a regular PDA instead of the mydevice and that was a temporary fix for SFQ since all the Seasonal product is staged. I don't know if it works, haven't tried it yet.

Why does it constantly try to pull the shippers I just backstocked? I thought once you pull something, it adds it to the SFQ, and backstocking it has no effect. But I was in a constant battle with a shipper in COSM today, pulling and then immediately backstocking it every hour.

Yes, they were set months ago, and yes, some of the product can probably fit out. But nobody is ever in a million years actually going to open that box and take some product to fill the shelves. It will just end up getting pushed into a corner of the backroom again.
We just burn those pulls, plano and those looking to suck up to fill holes! handle shippers at our store which are all located in one area in the steel, so when they come up we just burn them.

We just burn those pulls, plano and those looking to suck up to fill holes! handle shippers at our store which are all located in one area in the steel, so when they come up we just burn them.

Our backroom will ask us, "Hey In Stocks you are trying to pull that nail polish shipper, you really want it?" Cause sometimes we do or have to. But we can't see assortments anymore. PDA research would tell us a DCPI is part of an assortment, I would make a note an skip it until I looked.

That clue wasn't perfect but it sure saved a lot of lifting.

Our backroom will ask us, "Hey In Stocks you are trying to pull that nail polish shipper, you really want it?" Cause sometimes we do or have to. But we can't see assortments anymore. PDA research would tell us a DCPI is part of an assortment, I would make a note an skip it until I looked.

That clue wasn't perfect but it sure saved a lot of lifting.

a myDevice can tell you what's in a shipper/assortment. and for the most part our backroom will only pull the shippers for Plano or if the TL asked for it

That is pretty awesome actually. My problem was that it kept coming back on the next round of CAFs every time I burned it.

a myDevice can tell you what's in a shipper/assortment. and for the most part our backroom will only pull the shippers for Plano or if the TL asked for it

It used tell you each DCPI was tied to an assortment, now with lack of battery we try not to do anything extra with them. Scan and move on.

If the capacities are wrong, it will continue to pull the same item every hour. We had water that only had a capacity of 2 but 12 could fit in the spot. So instead of pulling only when it needs it, the trigger was going off for every single item because any time it sold it was past half. Basically you need to update the problem children as you find them. Fix the capacities and actually tell it what is there and it will stop over pulling stuff.

If the capacities are wrong, it will continue to pull the same item every hour. We had water that only had a capacity of 2 but 12 could fit in the spot. So instead of pulling only when it needs it, the trigger was going off for every single item because any time it sold it was past half. Basically you need to update the problem children as you find them. Fix the capacities and actually tell it what is there and it will stop over pulling stuff.
We do that and it still fails to work. When I have someone bring the issue to me I always check it and I can assure you it is accurate. That's like when you update the capacity and the count after you fill a shelf and then 10 minutes later what you just filled and adjusted ends up back on the line in another pull.

Locu-ing does not update SFQ. You need to update capacities to true capacities if they are over/understated and then you need to make sure the SFQ matches the capacity which should be what is actually on the floor for anything you send to backstock. This will prevent the backstock-pull cycle. You also probably found stuff that wasn't in location when you locu-ed the stockroom, so once you backstock it without updating capacity/SFQ then it triggers in a pull since the system just found it.

sigma7, Thursday at 8:17 PM

Going around and SFQing your whole store is a waste of time and payroll, unless....... You have a solid GREEN GREEN GREEN Logistics process and when I say Green, I mean picture perfect... I.e. 1) all transition back stocked other than Mini and rear, 2) all SPL Shippers back stocked 3) trucks finished 100% each and every day (pushed, back stocked, challenged, audited, etc) 4) Perfect Presentation process. SFQ is a great way to fix areas that are either slow to replenish or have horrible replenishment. Its a great tool to fix issues that we couldn't fix before. Like most people have said, the SFQ work that we all do is reset when Revisions, transitions, end caps are set, truck gets pushed etc...

Had a pull today with two coolers on it. The capacity was already at 1. There was one at the location. So why did even one get put into auto fill? I get that a backroom may pull two when it wants to pull one, but why did it want to even pull one in the first place? The location was full according to sfq and capacity. Also there was not dual locations. So there must be some issue that isn't working right. I've seen the same happen with other products

Someone previously probably put TWO coolers on the Sales Floor, but didn't update the SFQ. So, the system still thought there was 1...then 1 sold (the "extra" one), bringing the on floor quantity to 0. That is why the AUTOFILL generated. The SFQ stated 1 on the floor because as soon as the backroom pulls that DPCI for a batch, it updates the SFQ to show that item is on the floor (even tho it won't be until the Sales Floro works it out).

As far as why it pulled two? The Backroom Team Member must have done that...the system would NOT ask for 2 if the SF capacity is 1. Seriously...it will not ever happen. You WILL see this with full case packs of merchandise as well...the system knows that 2 Tide of the 4 in the box can fit on the shelf, so it asks for 2 from the Backroom; since it is a full case pack though, the Backroom pulls all 4.

I have found that the reasoning for items pulling that are fulling stocked (or almost stocked) on the Sales Floor is either because 1) the capacity is wrong OR 2) someone has gone against the capacity, and not changed the capacity...affecting SFQ.

For instance, the BIC lighters in the candle aisle. Two days in a row I had a full case pack of them pull (20?). Both times the location was jam packed (not overstocked, just...enough). I scanned it and the capacity was set at 1. So, everytime we sold one BIC lighter, the system was going to pull 1...and because it was a full case pack and not open stock, I'd keep getting that case pack unless the capacity and SFQ was changed. The important thing to remember is to change BOTH. First I changed the capacity to around 20 (however many were there, I don't remember), and then I changed the SFQ to the same number. That corrects the problem.

Most likely there were 2 coolers on the floor to begin with and had a capacity of 1. Therefore SFQ was 1, 1 sold, SFQ = 0 now even with 1 on the floor which triggers a casepack to be pulled which is 2 more coolers.

Seems TMforever beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back