Archived Should I call the hotline? Or is there another option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so if some of you remember I’ve been having a problem with my availability at my store. I keep getting scheduled against it and often have to remind my managers not to schedule me, and they still do. Now my store has switched from overnights to 4am, and asked me what my availability was for the change. I told them. And now on the first 4am schedule, I was put on once again, against my availability. I made my ETL aware and they said ‘well you gotta go by our schedule, we cannot go by yours.’

Now mind you, my availability has been the same for two years ever since I got my second job. I’m wondering if this persists, and they try to get me in trouble for not working shifts they schedule me against my availability, is it something I can go to the hotline for? And if not, is there another option or a way to get them to stop scheduling me? It is really quite annoying that I have to keep telling them to take me off the schedule, what’s the point of availability if they aren’t gonna honor it?

Last edited:
Hotline wont do any good I would about maybe zwitching work centers that cit your availability better. I flat out told my etl i can only close and can work after a certsin time only. It works for my workcenter but they hired 2 or 3 people to make up cor my and another tms lack of availabiljty

If you aren't available when they need you, then you aren't able to keep working in that position. If you personality is not a good fit for another position, or another position isn't available, then you probably need to find other employment.

The hotline can't do much if your availability doesn't match the needs of the business.

Okay so if some of you remember I’ve been having a problem with my availability at my store. I keep getting scheduled against it and often have to remind my managers not to schedule me, and they still do. Now my store has switched from overnights to 4am, and asked me what my availability was for the change. I told them. And now on the first 4am schedule, I was put on once again, against my availability. I made my ETL aware and they said ‘well you gotta go by our schedule, we cannot go by yours.’

Now mind you, my availability has been the same for two years ever since I got my second job. I’m wondering if this persists, and they try to get me in trouble for not working shifts they schedule me against my availability, is it something I can go to the hotline for? And if not, is there another option or a way to get them to stop scheduling me? It is really quite annoying that I have to keep telling them to take me off the schedule, what’s the point of availability if they aren’t gonna honor it?
In my experience, if your availability was approved through myTime, then that means HR or an ETL, or whoever approved it and does your schedule, was OK with it. That means they should be following it. If they had a problem with it they should have spoken to you.

Last edited:
No one has ever said anything to me about my availability being a problem. It hasn’t changed. When we did overnights, I wasn’t available Wednesday and Thursday nights, now that it’s 4AM, I’m not available Thursday and Friday mornings because my other job is Wednesday and Thursday night. I just don’t get what the point of availability is if they’re gonna go against it. I mean why even ask me? The store is the one that changed the schedule which uproots a lot of TM’s lives. A lot of people at my store left because of it for various reasons or commitments that they have during those morning hours and now we’re shorthanded. I’m trying to stay but is it too much to ask that they work with me?

Hotline wont do anything. My HR keep scheduling me for only 2 days a week at random ass times. I asked her to stop and she pretty much told be the needs of the business and shit so I quit.

15 bucks an hour sounds good until you only get 8 hours a week lmao. I actually asked for only one day so i could work 5 days somewhere else and have a day off, but they still said no

According to business needs, the short answer may be 'yes'.
Our store went from overnight to 4am & we lost quite a few solid TMs who had been there for 5+ years but - as our DTL said - business needs come first & NO ONE is irreplaceable.
Retail is harsh.

Why ask what my availability is then? And I’m not being sarcastic, I’m seriously wondering lol. I just can’t wrap my mind around the fact that my availability was fine for two years, and it is essentially the same, just changing the nights I wasn’t available to the following mornings, and they can’t work with it. And it’s not like I’m doing it because I don’t wanna work those days lol, I’m doing it because I have another job that also has needs. And I have to work two jobs because living is expensive 😂.

Why ask what my availability is then? And I’m not being sarcastic, I’m seriously wondering lol.

I agree with you. A business may have "needs" but until they replace us all with robots, they need to understand the humans they employ have lives outside of work and it's on them if they approve availability and ignore it. But Target has always been weird about scheduling in my experience. Like how they ask what you want your maximum hours to be and then disregard it completely--why even ask?? We lose a lot of students only wanting to (and hired with the understanding they'll) work part time who then have to quit after getting scheduled 39 hours for weeks on end. Right now we even have a new ETL trying to eliminate shift swapping (even for TMs within the same department). They just love having more callouts and high turnover, I guess? The demands they make can be pretty crazy considering it's a part-time job for the majority of their employees.

Business need/operations will always beat availability. If work center hours changed and your availability can't meet it, you need to either...

1. Remove availability for those days
2. Work different work centers for those days
3. Or change work centers completely that meet your availability

In case I misread something..... When was the last time YOU have updated your availability on-line? I understand that your availability hasn't changed in years; but there seems to be a "miss" here, somewhere. I understand that there's been verbal dialogue about your availability.... maybe that's the problem. If I were you, I'd go back into the system and be highly specific about your limitations due to your other job. You may not see the same amount of hours as you had in the past, probably a lot less ...... but that's the sacrifice you may have to make due to the other job. And if that doesn't suit you, you may need to consider other employment.
Scheduling 200+ people can be tricky if everyone has limitations of some nature. WE work for this business...... it doesn't work for us.

Never understood how scheduling someone outside their availability meets business needs. If you only look at the schedule the shift is covered, but if you know the scheduled person won’t be there, what’s the point? You will either have to find someone to take the hours or struggle with being short-handed due to a call out or worst case, a nc/ ns. It’s a lot easier and more efficient to schedule within availability than deal with foreseeable issues later.
I do understand that unfortunately if you are not available when needed that those hours will be given to someone is available at that time to meet business needs. Sad but true. ☹️

In case I misread something..... When was the last time YOU have updated your availability on-line? I understand that your availability hasn't changed in years; but there seems to be a "miss" here, somewhere. I understand that there's been verbal dialogue about your availability.... maybe that's the problem. If I were you, I'd go back into the system and be highly specific about your limitations due to your other job. You may not see the same amount of hours as you had in the past, probably a lot less ...... but that's the sacrifice you may have to make due to the other job. And if that doesn't suit you, you may need to consider other employment.
Scheduling 200+ people can be tricky if everyone has limitations of some nature. WE work for this business...... it doesn't work for us.

Nope. It is in the system. I most recently explained everything I said to you guys to someone at the front desk and told her to check and her exact words were “oh look at that, unavailable Wednesday and Thursday”. And on the paper schedule, on those days it says ‘unavailable.’ I get the business doesn’t work for us but then COMMUNICATE! Come to me and say that doesn’t work for us and talk to me, don’t just disregard it and schedule me. They’re the store that’s changing everything. My schedule working overnights for three years and I had my other job set in the afternoons and everything was good. So now they’re the ones changing the whole schedule, it’s obvious that it’s not gonna work for everyone. That’s why they went around asking availability for everyone, why not just order us around and say You’re working these hours or else lol.

Never understood how scheduling someone outside their availability meets business needs. If you only look at the schedule the shift is covered, but if you know the scheduled person won’t be there, what’s the point? You will either have to find someone to take the hours or struggle with being short-handed due to a call out or worst case, a nc/ ns. It’s a lot easier and more efficient to schedule within availability than deal with foreseeable issues later.
I do understand that unfortunately if you are not available when needed that those hours will be given to someone is available at that time to meet business needs. Sad but true. ☹️

Exactly, thank you. And every time they schedule me outside of my availability, I call out and they’re short handed, I mean you think they would get the memo by now lol.

Last edited:
Nope. It is in the system. I most recently explained everything I said to you guys to someone at the front desk and told her to check and her exact words were “oh look at that, unavailable Wednesday and Thursday”. And on the paper schedule, on those days it says ‘unavailable.’ I get the business doesn’t work for us but then COMMUNICATE! Come to me and say that doesn’t work for us and talk to me, don’t just disregard it and schedule me. They’re the store that’s changing everything. My schedule working overnights for three years and I had my other job set in the afternoons and everything was good. So now they’re the ones changing the whole schedule, it’s obvious that it’s not gonna work for everyone. That’s why
they went around asking availability for everyone, why not just order us around and say You’re working these hours or else lol.

I would probably STILL personally go in and submit your availability again. Maybe there was an issue w/ WORKDAY when it rolled out ? So, it sounds as though you CAN NOT work Wed or Thurs or Fri., right? Soooooo, you're available Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues? ALL day? Sounds like they should be able to give you some decent shifts ANY time for 4 days ! Now.... if there's limitations to those 4 "available" days, you might have issues. Again....... re-submit your availability; and hopefully the problem will solve itself. ( I feel like laughing a little at that last statement; but I actually mean it.)

Workday
I would probably STILL personally go in and submit your availability again. Maybe there was an issue w/ WORKDAY when it rolled out ? So, it sounds as though you CAN NOT work Wed or Thurs or Fri., right? Soooooo, you're available Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues? ALL day? Sounds like they should be able to give you some decent shifts ANY time for 4 days ! Now.... if there's limitations to those 4 "available" days, you might have issues. Again....... re-submit your availability; and hopefully the problem will solve itself. ( I feel like laughing a little at that last statement; but I actually mean it.)
Workday has nothing to do with scheduling or availability, does it? I thought everything scheduling is done through the Kronos system & Target’s myTime.

I’m the same way. I am only available four days during the fall semester — school comes first before Target — and only available for closing shifts two days and mid shifts and closing the other two Hasn’t been a problem in the two years I’ve been here. I’m always scheduled those four days. My old TL often used to ask if I wanted to pick up another day and I would occasionally when I could. So csidemaster I would write down your availability on paper, and ask to meet with whoever does your schedule, whether that’s HR, your TL, or an ETL. Share that paper with them and tell them that this is in the system and has been approved, and you cannot be scheduled or work during those days or times. As far as I know if you are scheduled outside of availability, it‘s not your responsibility.

At that point, if they are still giving you issues, it might be time to either look elsewhere, or pick up hours at your other job if you can and say goodbye to the Bullseye.

It’s just Thursday and Fridays I can’t work. I am available Sat-Weds. I never knew workday had anything to do with it, thought it was just mytime self service. That was where I always went, but thanks for the advice, I am gonna go in and resubmit it.

It is highly to check your availability in workday. It could be missing. Plus, you find the documentation to help fix the schedule with your etl.Your hours may reduced to match business needs.

It is highly to check your availability in workday. It could be missing. Plus, you find the documentation to help fix the schedule with your etl.Your hours may reduced to match business needs.

Let me ask you then hardlines, when the person at the desk looked me up and saw for herself that it said I was unavailable, and it says it on the paper schedule as well, how could it be different in workday? I’m just curious how that works if you wouldn’t mind explaining.

Depending on who is doing the schedule, they might remember your availability. Again, ck workday to MyTime to confirm your availability.
Also, confirm your personal info too.

The point is ..... if my availability is Monday from 4pm to 11pm in the computer, that is the only time I should be scheduled. Period. If that doesn't meet Target's business needs, don't schedule me.

But from reading through here, someone is overriding the system and scheduling the op anyway.

Just keep correcting them as to your availability.
If they want to tell you that they need to schedule you by the 'needs of the business', calmly explain that this is when you are available and they can schedule you to fit the needs of the business to fit those parameters.
They accepted the availability years ago.
The changing in the hours of the store does not change when you are available.
They have the option of saying, "Well, we can't use you." but if you are a good employee then they will try to come up with an alternative.
ASANTS of course, but even mediocre managers realize that you don't want to lose trained, competent employees when you can just be a little flexible.
'Needs of the business' also includes not having stupidly high turnover.

Last edited:
Just keep correcting them as to your availability.
If they want to tell you that they need to schedule you by the 'needs of the business', calmly explain that this is when you are available and they can schedule you to fit the needs of the business to fit those parameters.
They accepted the availability years ago.
The changing in the hours of the store does not change when you are available.
They have the option of saying, "Well, we can't use you." but if you are a good employee then they will try to come up with an alternative.
ASANTS of course, but even mediocre managers realize that you don't want to lose trained, competent employees when you can just be a little flexible.
'Needs of the business' also includes not having stupidly high turnover.

I’ve enjoyed my time at spot and don’t wanna leave, but I like my other job too and make a lot more money there so I’m not leaving that either. I wish I only had to work one job, but that’s just not how things are. With the overnights, it fit my schedule perfectly. Now switching to 4AM, I’m trying to make it work because they’re losing employees due to the switch so I don’t want to leave then shorter, and I’m just asking they do the same. I am honestly surprised that I’m having such an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back