Archived Signs that your management hates you

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
Sometimes we'll come across management gems that actually address the problems that they have with you, but most of the time you'll meet inexperienced people who don't have the time or inclination to shape you into the superstar that you can be, or they're just lazy bastards that simply want you out. Here are some signs to know that you've been "targeted":

1. Your hours have been cut. This is not the one or two weeks where they are training someone new, or it's January when hours are short. This is week after week where you are scheduled 8 hours a week, even after you've expressed to management that you need more hours to pay your bills.

2. Time off you've requested is never approved. Time and time again they will use the excuse that they didn't catch it on MyTime, or they didn't get enough notice, yada yada... but if you've put in your request AND have given plenty of (two weeks, at least) notice, they are forcing you to call out to make yourself look irresponsible.

3. You've already made it clear you don't want to work there, but they move you to that work center anyway. Yep, pretty self-explanatory, whether they are training new individuals in your current work center, or "that you need new skills - to make you a better employee!", this could be a warning sign.

4. Your average hours used to be enough for health insurance, but they've cut back enough to make you drop insurance. It takes quite a bit of cutting to make your average go down. This is a warning.

5. Everyone else's hours are extended during that busy day, but you are sent home. They don't want you.

6. They nitpick the hell out of you. They constantly call you out on the walkie (especially when the store manager is around) to monitor your activities and give you a laundry list of crap to do. Often it's for backup, even though you were just up there for two hours straight. You can have the perfect excuse every time, but they will counter it. Consider this a fair warning to get your shit together and get out.

7. They nitpick the hell out of you (part two) - They monitor when you clock in/out, how long your breaks are, if you are wearing a nametag, etc. This includes slow register times and no red cards given to guests. They are looking for tiny details that add up to "poor employee performance", or "does not meet standards".

8. You get shitty reviews. We all know we're fighting for that 25 cent raise, but if they give you anything under than EX and you know you've worked your ass off, this may not be the right placement for you.

Feel free to add your own...

I've been through six and seven. As a GSA when you get to see everyone else doing a halfassed job but not fucked with because they've been there for years or they occasionally get 5 red cards in a shift, it gets old.

13) If you're talking to another TM, only you get yelled at, while the TL/ETL jokes with the other TM.

14) After your TL tells you to take pictures of the things flow is doing wrong in your department and to show them to the ETL-LOG, said ETL's only response is, "Why was your phone out on the clock?" and you get in trouble.

This is a sign management hates you... This is a sign management doesn't think you can do your job properly, and hopes you can so they don't have to hire someone new. So take the hint.

This is a sign management hates you... This is a sign management doesn't think you can do your job properly, and hopes you can so they don't have to hire someone new. So take the hint.

OR it's just signs that management (or in most cases, a single manager) hates you. It's quit common.

For a long time a TL did not like me. He would walk right past me and not even say hi. If I was I the break room and he came in he pretended I wasn't there. If someone else was there he sat and talked to them. I guess now that I'm Brand he has deemed me worthy and tries to be friendly.

Are they forcing you to be there against your will? Go find a better job if you hate it so much.

16) They slowly cut the number of hours you have but still demand the same amount or more work get accomplished.
17) They write you up for things that are easily challenged one at a time but build up so fast that you can't keep up.

13) If you're talking to another TM, only you get yelled at, while the TL/ETL jokes with the other TM.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine and I have had to already step on the toes of some of the TLs on my team as they did exactly what you wrote. Its a job in retail which values people skills....let us all have fun and socialize! As long as its appropriate and doesn't interfere with productivity there is nothing wrong with building relationships. Besides, how many times do we all think TLs *only* take 2 15min breaks? We know that the TMs pretty much only get that and would be berated for taking anything more...meanwhile TLs can squeeze in extra time here and there (yes...sitting in our office chair to plan is less strenuous than standing for 3 hours as a cashier or as flow) due to our autonomous roaming roles.

12) You're expressly told you can NOT check out equipment unless you're on the clock so you sit & watch as everyone else takes all the equipment......and goes to clock in.
Omg they did this to me.

14) After your TL tells you to take pictures of the things flow is doing wrong in your department and to show them to the ETL-LOG, said ETL's only response is, "Why was your phone out on the clock?" and you get in trouble.

Oh damn....

19) Your ETL tells you to enforce policy but doesn't back you up when a guest complains, telling you to 'vibe'.
Later, you're pulled for 'not enforcing policy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back