Archived Sloooow PDA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
we were having problems with rf apps for a long time, finally got it fixed recently pm me if you want more details I don't want to give away my location

Ours too. I need to start using an LPDA since I'm BR Day and BRTLs aren't there when I am. (Thank God!) But they're only for TLs.:facepalm:

yea rf apps dosent respond occasionally for me for the last few weeks

For us it has to be close to a year now. Most RF APPS functions, at least regarding backroom, are reeeeeeeeeally sloooooooooow. For most of those functions, after scanning the item, there's around a 5 second lag before the information shows up on the screen. It doesn't sound long, but count that out. It's a long time to wait, especially after every single scan. All functions used to be instant. No lag whatsoever for the previous 4 years. But during the last year....it's been agonizing to try to do anything fast, especially lots of something fast.

STO....worst function. Pulling batches...pretty bad. LOCU and the Audit (section 11 of work batches), for whatever reason, are actually just about instant; they only lag out occasionally. NOP....really bad, makes trying to push an even bigger headache than it already is. The store's systems have been restarted many times over the last year, and there was always 0 effect on the PDA issue. It's been driving everyone nuts. Even after all this time, you NEVER get accustomed to a 5 second lag when working with backroom functions in RF APPS. It alllllmost makes you want to use Item Search to push CAF instead of NOP, since RF APPS is almost as slow now. Almost. But nothing I've encountered in the entire PDA over the last 5 years even comes close to matching Item Search's slowness. Not even close. Which is unfortunate, because it's such a useful function.

ive been having a problem with RF apps, when you type in lets say PULL, nothing will happen, it will just beep, and it will make you type it again, and then it will work.

It is certainly making time sensitive work difficult. My team has gotten into the practice of documenting the number of seconds between responses on really slow days so that we can speak to the low number of scans - sort of.

It is certainly making time sensitive work difficult. My team has gotten into the practice of documenting the number of seconds between responses on really slow days so that we can speak to the low number of scans - sort of.

our store did this and sent it up to our regional ops team they fixed it after a ton of trial and error patches

We've been having issues with the ADSD...we will log in, sometimes (usually only on LPDAs???) have to input our initials twice, scan the barcode, choose the correct one, confirm, then after we "E"xit, it gives us an error code. Sometimes, it actually "accepts" it, sometimes it doesn't, we usually don't know until our ETL gets an email stating that we have X number of "unacknowledged" orders.

Also, with the 2 different suppliers now in pharmacy, sometimes we will scan a barcode and it will show up on the PDA as being "accepted", but then it doesn't actually "transmit" to the supplier....either that or it's from one and gets transmitted to the other, who simply "deletes" it. "The powers that be" knew about this for over a week and didn't bother to notify anyone of the issue. It's wreaking havoc with our scores because we're telling guests that their items will be in the following day and they're not....and they wonder why our survey scores have gone in the toilet the past month???

Of course, we call the (no) help desk and they tell us "it's a non-issue....we must not have scanned something correctly". Ummm....no, when I manually punch in the UPC, it shows up as "X", change the order point from 1 to 3, and it STILL doesn't even show up on the invoice as being ordered, it's an issue!!!

Last edited:
Man, thanks for posting this. We just thought it was our store. Everyone is complaining about it.

That little 5 second delay on every scan really makes things fun when they decide at the last minute that you need to drop in a few manuals before close, and they always want to 2 biggest ones first. Plus, it is always so enjoyable to spend the extra time in the freezer....

That little 5 second delay on every scan really makes things fun when they decide at the last minute that you need to drop in a few manuals before close, and they always want to 2 biggest ones first. Plus, it is always so enjoyable to spend the extra time in the freezer....

don't forget about how much time is wasted over the course of a shift at 5secs per scan...

Right now there are 40 stores currently in pilot for the new Motorola MC9200's, and there are 100 more stores slated to be added to the pilot in June. After the pilot is over, all stores will convert to the MC9200's, effectively replacing the MC9060's and 9090's that the stores use. What's different about these? They run 10 times faster for Web applications (making search and application functions near instant) and also have a slight boost to RFAPP's. RFAPP's never really saw a huge increase to overall speed and performance to it, but that's because the eventual plan is to move everything to Web-based applications (way down the pipeline.) There is no laser anymore, they are LED-based cameras/imagers with cross-hairs that can read both barcodes and QRC's. The overall design/shape of the PDA has remained the same.

50x6SQm.jpg

*Removed Voltron image*

Last edited:
According to the motorola website this smaller cell phone like device is android based, considering spot's network is windows based how well will that work?

According to the motorola website this smaller cell phone like device is android based, considering spot's network is windows based how well will that work?

Everything within the PDA/LPDA app structure is based on a terminal/server relationship. the PDAs and LPDAs that we are used to run Windows CE 5.0 because that was the industry standard when the terminal apps were developed. Porting it to Android is less complicated than you think, assuming that Naurtech had some involvement in the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back