Archived Small Format/Express Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hey all - I did a search and didn't see anything on this topic, so here goes. I just finished my training and we just got underway training our team to open our small format store this summer. After finally seeing one in action I am intrigued by the format and am excited for the challenge!

I thought maybe I could make a thread for those of us who work in the small format stores to compare notes and share some secrets that have made your stores a success (and maybe things not to do....). Some examples would be how you went about training the team, some successes on processes, some challenges you faced, and anything else you can think of!!

Looking forward to the next few months of getting our store off the ground!!

I'm in the opposite of a small format store, but I'm super curious. I think there might be one or two opening up around here somewhere, but I'm not sure. I hope there are other small format TMs here.

Prepare for the monsoon of visits for the shiny new small format store opening in whatever district if your reading this .. dtl,group leadership ,gvp , vp’s there all coming your way frequently .. calls directly from corporate leaders checking on your store , probing questions for the first few months .. It’s a fun new challenge though and you will get used to the visits and actually develop a better rapport with your dtl and business partners.

I've heard that some of them have offsite backrooms, and I'm really curious how that works. Do they still do normal pulls through Move and just stage them somewhere to go to the store, or do they do something totally different? Does spot.com know that something with a BR location isn't really in the store and doesn't count it against the on-hands?

I've heard that some of them have offsite backrooms, and I'm really curious how that works. Do they still do normal pulls through Move and just stage them somewhere to go to the store, or do they do something totally different? Does spot.com know that something with a BR location isn't really in the store and doesn't count it against the on-hands?
That's interesting if thats the case, I wonder whats considered off site. Across the street or nearby

Doing some snooping around at a Flex store before I've noticed that they have a backroom and a break room that leads directly into the sales floor

We have a small format opening up next month in the downtown area. The hours seem great for it but you couldn't really pay me enough to work where it's located.

A Target is rumored to be on the way to a nearby town. I doubt it’s a super but a small format seems too small. Anything in between being built?

Same @mandie89. I wonder if we are in the same vicinity. I imagine the AP presence will be large in my downtown store.

Same @mandie89. I wonder if we are in the same vicinity. I imagine the AP presence will be large in my downtown store.
It's possible. I can't imagine AP not having a strong presence where this store is located. The area it's in has been in the news quite a bit because random, drunk people will try attacking the people who are walking around. The hours, though, that's the only incentive. It opens a little later than other stores and closes early. Even on weekends.

My area is getting an urban Target some time next year, I think. Is this the same as small format? I've been wondering if it'd be worth it to see about transferring there - closer to where I live, but might not be the hours I can work.

I work in a flex store if anyone has a question

Do you generally get guests familiar with full-size Targets expecting them to be the same? Around here I'd expect guests bitching about the lack of selection when, hello, duh, smaller store, because people are so used to normal Targets & Supers.

I guess keeping the separate CitySpot and SpotExpress names would have made too much sense.

They do have regular TLs, it’s the APTL and Food Service if you have a Starbucks. The rest are SrTLs.

Can also help out with express questions.

My experience-
As a Sr. TL be prepared to work. Your workload is yours and yours alone. There are no down the chain delegations. It's your STL, then you, then a captain that you have chosen(if there is talent). Our store was new to the community so the store was almost entirely staffed by people that are new to the company myself included. Thus you dont get people who "know" that can assist with questions. I can talk to my STL and a few other SRTLs but that's it. Thank goodness my fellow vm/tl and etl for softlines in another store have been so helpful.

As another mention, be prepared for more visits. We have visits pretty consistently. The good about it is if you want to move up the ladder you get more face time with your STL so he can asses your talent. Then your DTL who walks regularly now gets that bug in his ear from the STL faster.

Another is being global. Softlines and pfresh are the only areas that have set teams for our store. Everyone else moves where the flow is due to the flow team being so small. Idk if that is express store specific or not though.

Another thing is space is super limited in the back. It's super hard if we back up on push. One poorly staffed day with a heavy truck and we fall behind. Our backroom is screwed. All our moving space is gone for the next day. We have to stay on top of all push.

We also receive alot of ISM and fixtures for bigger stores that we are not supposed to use period(we get called out on walks if we do it anyway). Idk why then send it. But on the flip side we get like half the signing packets we are supposed to get.

Small things like we only scan RFID 1 day a week not 2. We have our own VM book totally different then big stores. We close earlier then other locations.

Biggest complaints from guests is our store is too small. We dont carry all the brands that bigger stores do. Our selection is limited. Our prices are higher.

Idk how many times I have to say "I'm sorry ma'am/sir this is an express store. We unfortunately don't have as much as a larger store. Do you want me to check if another location has it?" Only to get an eyeroll back.

But I love my job and I love the challenges it comes with.

Sorry my post is all over. I just typed as I thought.

I'm honestly excited the more I get into the prep. It's going to be a challenge that I am up for, and I can only hope the experience I have in the large format stores has prepared me for the challenges ahead. It won't be easy and it will be overwhelming at times but hopefully we can get through.

And in other news I don't know what part of myself I pulled that inspirational quote out of... but in reality it's going to be a real challenge as we are piloting a bunch of new things as well as getting the store ready to open.

We only have 4 confirmed captains ( sl, br, p fresh and beauty) I have read some negative things about captains at other stores not getting the right pay or respect but I fight for mine and give her, her dues. She is right along with me in many aspects. We communicate really well and she gives me great feedback when I don't "see it" whatever it may be.

I have fought for her to get the pay she deserves. She makes 18 an hour. She deserves it entirely.

As a whole I do think captains are under paid and it's not fair. They are literally backup TLs in our absences. They should be compensated for what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back