Softlines truck super sort

Questions and support please? I'm a style TL in a store that has previously been known for having very broken processes. New leadership has made great strides but there's still work to be done. I just came to this store recently after taking a hiatus from Spot.

Our current inbound team is pretty much not monitored by anyone other than my self and my fellow style lead. I never see anyone else from inbound helping them when they fall behind, never see inbound TL helping them or correcting their sort. The sort is BAD. They are not my direct reports so I shouldn't really be issuing any coaching. However, they do need to be taught what the standards are and held to it the green racks are the worst, z's are mostly ok.

Any tips to help them move faster? Are there guides in Workday that really break down the sort? I mean, with the ridiculous amounts of freight we've been getting I know it's not easy but it's also taking my dbos much longer to push when their green racks are trashed.

That's the question. They've been at this store for quite a while and I've only been at this location. We just got a new Specialty ETL so I think it's a great time to do a "blanket" training so that performance can be measured. My dbos and I had to do a few pallets for them the other day and it didn't look like the repacks were sorted by numbers after they came off of the line either. Isn't that supposed to be standard?

I would partner with the VM, if your store has one, to go over the visual standards for hanging/folding with the breakout team. After that, it's okay for you to hold them accountable via coaching. I usually just loop in the inbound leadership via email so they can follow up and do the documentation.

Hope that helps.

My dbos and I had to do a few pallets for them the other day and it didn't look like the repacks were sorted by numbers after they came off of the line either. Isn't that supposed to be standard?
Pallets?? That’s scary . The whole process falls under inbound . So you need to partner with your inbound Tl and either retrain the breakout people or get them out of the don’t get right with sorting and edging . My boss would have my ass if my a&a wouldn’t be done .

We have the same issues. It has always been an inbound process. At my store, inbound tl has never cared about detrashing, I know because I did it and reported to him. Under modernization, we have 2 people detrashing. 1 comes in at 6:30 to 11:00, the other 8:30 to 1:00. We have 5 trucks and repacks roll everyday. They have the process down but neither will extend if asked. Too many repacks and not enough hours and people. It often falls to the style tl and/or vm to cleanup. They have their own tasks to complete. I'm just really really glad I'm out of it.

That's the question. They've been at this store for quite a while and I've only been at this location. We just got a new Specialty ETL so I think it's a great time to do a "blanket" training so that performance can be measured. My dbos and I had to do a few pallets for them the other day and it didn't look like the repacks were sorted by numbers after they came off of the line either. Isn't that supposed to be standard?

My store's style repacks aren't sorted by number as they come off the line. They just go in a pile and the sorters go through them from top to bottom. It doesn't matter how the repacks are sorted as long as what's in them is properly sorted promptly onto the appropriate vehicles.

The real issue there is figuring out why repacks are bing left on pallets. The only time that happens at my store, it's not the sorters. It's style not pushing previous trucks so the sorters have no vehicles to sort onto.

My store's style repacks aren't sorted by number as they come off the line. They just go in a pile and the sorters go through them from top to bottom. It doesn't matter how the repacks are sorted as long as what's in them is properly sorted promptly onto the appropriate vehicles.

The real issue there is figuring out why repacks are bing left on pallets. The only time that happens at my store, it's not the sorters. It's style not pushing previous trucks so the sorters have no vehicles to sort onto.

I haven't seen the a&a area clean, meaning no pallets of repacks, since who knows when.

We're at least 6 pallets behind right now. It's a combination of slower breakout TMs and not enough Style TMs to push truck and keep up on reshop, etc. as well as constant backups to the check lanes bc no hours. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We're at least 6 pallets behind right now. It's a combination of slower breakout TMs and not enough Style TMs to push truck and keep up on reshop, etc. as well as constant backups to the check lanes bc no hours. 🤷🏻‍♀️

This. We have TLs and ETLs and even the STL doing repacks/softlines breakout because there are just no hours and no matter how fast the breakout TMs are, they aren't getting through what we get

This. We have TLs and ETLs and even the STL doing repacks/softlines breakout because there are just no hours and no matter how fast the breakout TMs are, they aren't getting through what we get

We allot more than enough time for our sorters. Most days they finish before their scheduled shift and then push BP. On the rare days that they can't finish in time, they are always allowed to stay late. The hour difference can always be made up with callouts. That's one workcenter that just has to be made a priority for hours.

My ETL "helped" but didn't sort stuff, my SD would never touch a repack and the GM ETL is too busy picking SFS orders for 80% of their shifts to jump in.

At my store we do things a little bit differently. We do stage our softlines repacks by number on pallets, but before they even get on those pallets, we have an inbound person (formerly softlines flow) working the end of line that opens all of the repacks as they get to her. This person pulls out hanging, shoes (except men's), sorts the mixed into separate boxes, and infant hardlines before they even get to the A&A sorter. This is in addition to the inbound person doing toys, sporting goods, part of market, breaking out combos and staging the HBA and Cosmetics repacks. I don't know if your team has an inbound person who can do all of that, but our A&A sorter has been able to get more done in less time when that inbound person is there. Our A&A sorter does hanging softlines first, moves the z's out of the way, and then moves metros in and works on the folded. She is in a pretty confined space so it seems that works for our store. Our A&A sorter usually gets 5 hour shifts. Most of the time that is not enough to clear everything, but she makes great progress.

Last edited:
I can’t believe that pallets are the talk. I have two a&a break out on single days and 3 a&a break out on doubles . The repacks goes from the line in the assigned stock zone , one does folded one does hanging . Once that’s done they finish cosmetics breakout . All combos are done starting with the first person in the bay by the time it reaches the end of the line all that needs to do is staged on the appropriate vehicle. Except stock zone 4 that gets done by the two middle people on the line .

But how many hours are they working? If the time that corporate says it’s going to take is 12 hours for that trucks softlines repacks but yet there are only 2 people working a 4 hour shifts each. Then there is 4 hours left of softlines left in repacks. They aren’t asked to extend because there are no hours. Well now there are 9 pallets.

It is if course a compound issue. Most of the time there are two of them and they're scheduled at least 6 hours, usually more like 7.5. But regardless of what they've been leaving behind, what they have sorted is really NOT sorted, it's a jumbled mess. Of course my team has fallen behind a few times too, we all know how the hours crunches have hurt all if us. But that being said, we were never so far behind that there weren't z's empty and available, and green racks at least half empty. I feel like the biggest issue is their lack of speed an accuracy. I just need to determine if it's from a lack of proper training or if they're wilfully ignoring how things are supposed to be done and they've been getting away with it because their direct leadership isn't involved at all.

I can’t believe that pallets are the talk. I have two a&a break out on single days and 3 a&a break out on doubles . The repacks goes from the line in the assigned stock zone , one does folded one does hanging . Once that’s done they finish cosmetics breakout . All combos are done starting with the first person in the bay by the time it reaches the end of the line all that needs to do is staged on the appropriate vehicle. Except stock zone 4 that gets done by the two middle people on the line .
How many on the line? How many hours? I just got put in a seriously broken store and we have probably 25 pallets of style not broken out. I have 2 break out but one of the people on my line does the cosmetics sort as well as combos while he does PP2

How many on the line? How many hours? I just got put in a seriously broken store and we have probably 25 pallets of style not broken out. I have 2 break out but one of the people on my line does the cosmetics sort as well as combos while he does PP2
5 on the line. 4 hours. 2 break out a&a unless double when everyone is full shift.
there is no more secondary sort so you shouldn’t waste your time on that . All we do is combos and stock zone 4 for pp2 because normally has anything from chem, pets and what not. I get 12 trucks a week. If a&a is heavy that’s where inbound goes . However so far it hasn’t happened. Because on doubles I have 3 breakout persons . I should mentioned that my breakout team is been doing thisfor 10-15 years since Is the same team that I had overnight for Softlines .

It is if course a compound issue. Most of the time there are two of them and they're scheduled at least 6 hours, usually more like 7.5. But regardless of what they've been leaving behind, what they have sorted is really NOT sorted, it's a jumbled mess. Of course my team has fallen behind a few times too, we all know how the hours crunches have hurt all if us. But that being said, we were never so far behind that there weren't z's empty and available, and green racks at least half empty. I feel like the biggest issue is their lack of speed an accuracy. I just need to determine if it's from a lack of proper training or if they're wilfully ignoring how things are supposed to be done and they've been getting away with it because their direct leadership isn't involved at all.
Has your Etl mentioned this to your SD? My Sd would have my ass if it wouldn’t be finished or done right. Usually on double trucks I sacrifice one of my sorters and put her in a&a and I jump on the line to ensure it will be done by 12:30 . And it has been days when I just did it when I would notice they would go to slow . I do own inbound by the way

Has your Etl mentioned this to your SD? My Sd would have my ass if it wouldn’t be finished or done right. Usually on double trucks I sacrifice one of my sorters and put her in a&a and I jump on the line to ensure it will be done by 12:30 . And it has been days when I just did it when I would notice they would go to slow . I do own inbound by the way
Unfortunately as much as I like this SD and hear how much he's already improved this store...he's well aware that they're not getting it done. My ETL has been at this store for about a week and had to jump in (alobg with the rest of my A&A team) and help break out after the inbound team left. At least she was questioning why it was our responsibility to get them caught up instead of getting all of the push caught up so they could have vehicles to break out on the next morning. It's my weekend off but hers on and I suspect she'll have a lot of observations to discuss on Monday.

If the sorts bad, i’d look at all ends to really nail the issue, as it’s usually a two way street. Unfortunately, GM isn’t just inbound, it’s also over 50% total sales for most stores (when you add up essentials, home, and hardlines together,) plus fulfillment. And with FACE areas being the focus GM is first to get cut for hours. Nevertheless, i’d look at the following:

Are they prioritizing speed vs sorting?

Some days, you aren’t going to get through all of the sorting. And that has to be okay, if they’re working hard. Just like when Style rolls a vehicle due to VMGs or what not, it’s the same concept.

Are the metros and zracks setup and returned correctly?

Often, I found metros to be outdated, contained a jumble of areas, or made no sense. Zracks were often combined by DBOs, so the yellow dividers need to be found and reset daily. Also, the style sort area should be returned to the sort positions by the end of the night, just like uboats.

At our store, Style owns these vehicles and their setup.

And finally, taking a partnership with GM. If they aren’t responsive, i’d make sure my area was 100% supporting their process before moving on. Most GMTLs have had no training on A&A breakout too, so I imagine most don’t even feel comfortable providing feedback.

I’ve been there as a Style TL and a GMTL, so I get both frustrations. However, nobody is blamed for everything wrong in a store like GM and I’ve done it myself.

At my store we are averaging 18-30 hour trucks for style. Each day there are 2 of us scheduled to work 4 hours and we are not allowed to work past our scheduled time. It has been insane and we are way behind. Now we have 6 pallets set up and our unloaders sort the repacked by the department. However our backroom looks like a big wall of style repack pallets!

Back