Archived Something Unacceptable (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a short time into this and I'm seeing Guests, who CLEARLY shouldn't be applying for credit cards being coercecd into "trying'.

This DOES ping their credit score and are usually turned down.

THAT isn't moral by any stretch but from what I've now seems it's happening.

I'm in disagreement of this MO.

I'm now seeing why some [most] dislike the approaches I've seem.

Last edited:
This is why Spot came up with the debit version.

I make it a priority to inform the guests that there are two versions, one of which doesn't require a credit check, only a checking account and a blank, voided check to kick off the process.

Sell the "REDcard," not a specific version of it for the sake of expediency.

What do you mean by "clearly?" Are you profiling? I've seen people I presumed as rich get a spending limit of "$500," but others I wasn't sure would get approved got "$7,000." We should not place judgement on a guest based upon color, race, age, or economic background. It's our job to mention the perks. There are many.
If you pay your bill on time it's a good deal compared to other retail locations. Are you under the presumption they won't pay their bills? At the end of the day it's the guests personal decision if they want to sign up or not. There's no way to know if they will get approved until the end of the process. Sometimes "trying is the only option to know." Asking a guest if they would "like to try" is called closing the sale. "Closing the sale is very important when trying to sell things to anyone." This is VERY different from pressuring or forcing. If a guest mentions to me they have really bad credit I mention the debit version. This is not deception. This is offering a service to someone whom might be interested. That is our job. IMO it sounds like you don't "personally" have or agree with the REDCARD. You can be against them personally, but you should still offer them to each guest regardless "if you think they'll be approved." Is it really fair to just offer them to people you consider "wealthy?"

Last edited:
personally I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face trying to sell a guest on the credit card with the 5% "perk" when there's that 25% compound interest rate

Well you don’t pay it if you pay in full within the grace period.

CC rewards are great, it’s possible to make a hundreds and for some people thousands of dollars a year in rewards for free just by buying things that they’d normally buy but with a credit card that is always paid in full.

If I wasn’t awful with my finances, I would have so many great rewards with my credit union credit card.

Well you don’t pay it if you pay in full within the grace period.

CC rewards are great, it’s possible to make a hundreds and for some people thousands of dollars a year in rewards for free just by buying things that they’d normally buy but with a credit card that is always paid in full.

That’s the key to coming out ahead with credit card rewards- you have to pay off your balance every month because if you are paying interest, no reward plan will be worth it. For people who can pay off their balance every month, rewards plans are a big plus, and they can stack up good money or travel points over a year’s time. Problem is, a lot of people can’t pay off their balances every month, not because they are buying luxuries (although some fall into that category), but because their income is too low and the cost of living is too high. Everyone in retail knows how this works. Hours get cut for two weeks and suddenly the credit card balance won’t be paid in full because the rent has to be paid and so does the electric bill. For these people the rewards offset the interest a bit but not much, 5% doesn’t even pay the tax in some areas, so the Red card can be a hard sell. Same thing with debit cards- not a big incentive to get one if you have very little money in your account.

I had a guest that applied for a RC and got a credit limit of $300. Well, she didn't use the card because she couldn't get the limit to be increased. Her RC problem was that most visits she spent over $300....a lady with five children always pays in cash because the RC, for her, was really a sham.
Thankfully she has continued to shop at Target and still pays in cash!

This is why Spot came up with the debit version.

I make it a priority to inform the guests that there are two versions, one of which doesn't require a credit check, only a checking account and a blank, voided check to kick off the process.

Sell the "REDcard," not a specific version of it for the sake of expediency.
I even mention specifically that we now have a debit option and specify that applying for and using it doesn't affect your credit score. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that debit cards don't have anything to do with your credit.

A friend of Munger is a business owner with profits of a mill plus a year, salary is a quarter mill. He got denied a home depot cc. It was amusing, but it's more detailed than just that.

Can you give an example to the efforts of coercing guests into signing up?

If you see a guest with a large purchase....Yes go with the extra effort to see if they want to sign up. But I always gave them the standard would like to save $so-so today on your purchase.

Just remember the real purpose for the RedCard. Target pays significantly less in transaction fees when a guest uses a RedCard.

One thing to think about.....start talking about the RC early in the transaction....because if you wait until the end the guest, at that time the guest is already thinking of what else they're doing in the day....or they see that there is a line behind them and they say "no."
I used to start telling them about the RC soon after saying "hello" and this gives you plenty of time to tell the guest about the card as you check them out.
When the ETL over the whole sales floor gave me that advice it sure makes a difference when getting RCs.
Another easy start is to ask the guest, ""Will you be paying with a RC today?" From the answer then that lets you know how to proceed.
Do your best to ask/tell about the RC as early as you can.

First, everyone knows running your credit lowers your score. Watch the Credit Karma commercials on TV.

Second, what @buliSBI said. It's financially better for Target and in theory trickles down to us. Even if it doesn't, it's still no different than other businesses that offer credit. Caveat emptor.

Third, it's pretty insulting to say a guest clearly shouldn't be applying. Who died and made you the god of credit transactions @TargetScanMan ? What is your criteria? Well worn clothes? Maybe they are planning an activity that involves a lot of dirt. Maybe they are needing to wear the back of the closet clothes. Maybe they look poor because they are economically frugal and use what credit cards they have in a way that will increase their credit score. My past job I saw people that look like they have money get declined for a card at a major bank and I saw people who looked like they couldn't afford a timeshare get a $10,000 credit card. Unless you are Experion you can't pre-judge.

Yeah, how is this a moral discussion, as if people can't decide for themselves what to do with their credit? You can't force people to apply for cards, hence why I don't give a shit about "You better get a redcard or else" scare tactics. Ask and inform. That's it.

What do you mean by "clearly?" Are you profiling? I've seen people I presumed as rich get a spending limit of "$500," but others I wasn't sure would get approved got "$7,000." We should not place judgement on a guest based upon color, race, age, or economic background. It's our job to mention the perks. There are many.
If you pay your bill on time it's a good deal compared to other retail locations. Are you under the presumption they won't pay their bills? At the end of the day it's the guests personal decision if they want to sign up or not. There's no way to know if they will get approved until the end of the process. Sometimes "trying is the only option to know." Asking a guest if they would "like to try" is called closing the sale. "Closing the sale is very important when trying to sell things to anyone." This is VERY different from pressuring or forcing. If a guest mentions to me they have really bad credit I mention the debit version. This is not deception. This is offering a service to someone whom might be interested. That is our job. IMO it sounds like you don't "personally" have or agree with the REDCARD. You can be against them personally, but you should still offer them to each guest regardless "if you think they'll be approved." Is it really fair to just offer them to people you consider "wealthy?"
Individuals who are on government assistance to purchase basic necessities is who I refer to as well as those who indicate they have filed for bankruptcy, those who were turned down quite recently, and those that indicate they do not posess a social security number and/or are not U.S. citizens and lack credentials.

That's hardly profiling.

It's a bit too early to be drinking already, isn't it?
Generally speaking,
This coming from the same guy who just a couple days ago told us that we should be pushing to get every guest to apply for debitRC even when they have the creditRC and vice versa.
ABSOLUTELY BUT I've now also seen it pushed to the point that it DOES, indeed, seem sometimes not to be presented for it's benefits for the Guest but rather almost relentlessly HARD sold to the point of very clear discomfort to the Guest.

If I were a Guest in some of these situations and still desired shopping at Target I'd opt for self checkout to evade the confrontation I'm seeing now.

It's a bit too early to be drinking already, isn't it?
If you feel you have an issue Target DOES offer support but I'm going to be honest in advising you refrain from revealing within ANY employment situation and instead seek guidance from your Primary Care Physician or, if you are of a religious faith, perhaps confide in your clergyman.

Sales floor team job is to fill the basket before the guest to gets to the front lanes & ask for red card.
3 years the was a big push for red cards, due to the card portfolio being sold off. Not the case, anymore.
The push is now for front end is:
Guest experience
Fast check out
Drive up
OPU
Mobile checkout
Service plans
Red cards

If you need additional training, ask your tl or take the new training on workbench started on nov 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back