Archived Something Unacceptable (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Individuals who are on government assistance to purchase basic necessities is who I refer to

Back when I traded in the title of military member for military dependent and was living on base housing everyone in our little block was on some kind of government assistance. Most common was WIC, but there was also SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, and a couple of other people had additional public assistance. While I was in the military I got advice from the NCOs to have a credit card that I pay in full every month in order to establish good credit, and that still applied when my little family was on WIC, SSI and Medicaid.

(On a side note, I do hope that military folks are paid well enough now that qualifying for income based public assistance is no longer so common.)

as well as those who indicate they have filed for bankruptcy,

You do bounce back from bankruptcy, believe it or not. Last job, I ended up in with a task where I reviewed credit reports to determine which bank we would sell our loans to, lots of people had recent bankruptcies on their record but not that many recent dings, maybe a few late payments, and a credit score above 650. And you can't recover from bankruptcy until you get lines of credit and be responsible when using them...which means getting those lines of credit in the first place.

And part of your credit score is based on how much total credit you have available to you vs. how much you owe. The old advice of canceling credit cards that were not being used actually lowered people's credit scores because their total available dropped but what they owed didn't and the ratio was suddenly much less favorable. So to recover from a bankruptcy faster would be getting lines of credit that you aren't really going to use, so you have that favorable ratio.

those who were turned down quite recently,

People's credit scores do increase, and people can go from normally paying late to normally paying on time, which also affects credit scores. That last job, a lot of the banks had a threshold, credit scores had to be a certain amount or it was an automatic rejection. Sometimes we had to rerun a credit report a month or two later, not very common, and in just a couple of months the credit score could change dramatically, dramatically enough that a bank would change their mind about buying the loan.

and those that indicate they do not posess a social security number and/or are not U.S. citizens and lack credentials.

Unless I'm missing something in the online terms and conditions you do not have to be a US citizen, you simply have to pay off your card with US funds and have a US ID.

Also, there's a little thing called TIN. A lot of people, cashiers and long-term residents included, may not realize the two are interchangeable and when one is asked for the other is equally suitable.

And a lack of credentials could mean the credentials are either at home or in the mail. You will not believe the number of people I typed real estate purchase documents for whose credentials was a picture of their drivers license on their phone because they didn't have the actual license on them. If it was legal to type a 50 page financial contract for $10k or more for purchase of a timeshare considered deeded property by state and federal law and notarize the person's signature based on a cell phone picture of a driver's license then I'm pretty sure that a red card application done online will be equally legal. Selling the person on the red card program and making them want to apply, and then handing them the brochure so they can apply at home is not committing any type of fraud. It's giving them options.

That's hardly profiling.

Yeah, it is. All of it is profiling. You simply think you're better than everyone who, in your eyes, aren't rich enough and don't deserve to make their own financial choices.

I've screwed up my own credit and have been looking at ways to un-bury myself, to make good choices and to make the right decisions to get my credit score up fast.

Plus needing to learn all this credit stuff to be really good at my previous job, to know what loans could be sold, to know what lines of credit applications should and shouldn't be ran. And in the end needing to learn all the legal stuff because the company lawyers reviewed some post recession laws and decided the government classified us as a financial institution and we had to adhere to banking laws as well as real estate laws, but the salesmen had the mindset of sell first, worry about legalities long after their commission couldn't be taken back so it was the entry level document typists that had to know the law well enough to know when something was too shady and had to stand firm against salesmen, sales managers and closing agents, half the time with no manager on their side. No pressure.

The easiest way to establish credit is to go to the bank, give them 500 bucks for a secured loan of 500 that you pay back in a year. When the year's over, take that 500 and do it all again. Each time will cost about $75 in fees. Don't miss a single payment or be even one day late. After two years of this, I guarantee you will have a decent credit score.

The easiest way to establish credit is to go to the bank, give them 500 bucks for a secured loan of 500 that you pay back in a year. When the year's over, take that 500 and do it all again. Each time will cost about $75 in fees. Don't miss a single payment or be even one day late. After two years of this, I guarantee you will have a decent credit score.
Easy, yes. Slow. As long as you have learned from your mistakes, or if young from your parents' mistakes, you can build it a lot faster.

Howso? I know of no speedy way to establish credit. It's a time thing - you have to show that you have the ability to make regular payments over an extended period of time... the longer, the better. That doesn't happen "quickly."

Yes, you have to show regular payments. But you also have to show that you have the income to support payments. Keeping the loans small during that year will have less effect than larger loans over the same time. There is a tipping point though, where the loans are too big and will push it back down. But zero credit action other than $500 plus utilities that are in your name (not other people) is not that big of an impact.

BUT I've now also seen it pushed to the point that it DOES, indeed, seem sometimes not to be presented for it's benefits for the Guest but rather almost relentlessly HARD sold to the point of very clear discomfort to the Guest.
That's what happens when you start basing performance off the number of REDcards they're selling.

You get tired of hearing, "no, thanks" from the guests, and then get lectured about how to be more persuasive at the lanes and start selling more from the GSA/GSTL.

The needle is going to move one way or another.

I see this very black and white: [push for RCs aggressively, make guest feel harassed but more will buckle and say yes] OR [present the benefits of RC but the guest isn't really interested so you kindly STFU and keep ringing their transaction, but less RCs]. There's no in-between.

Sales floor team job is to fill the basket before the guest to gets to the front lanes & ask for red card.
3 years the was a big push for red cards, due to the card portfolio being sold off. Not the case, anymore.
The push is now for front end is:
Guest experience
Fast check out
Drive up
OPU
Mobile checkout
Service plans
Red cards

If you need additional training, ask your tl or take the new training on workbench started on nov 1st.
Agreed.

In my area/market, we don't even really get asked about REDcard signups. Instead we're still pushing for the Target Red program (Target Red - https://red.target.com for more info), and that's all leadership cares about.
"How many Target Reds you got?"

1541608142391.png

Individuals who are on government assistance to purchase basic necessities is who I refer to as well as those who indicate they have filed for bankruptcy, those who were turned down quite recently, and those that indicate they do not posess a social security number and/or are not U.S. citizens and lack credentials.

That's hardly profiling.
Considering you need credit to live in our capitalist hellscape regardless of your socioeconomic standing, yes it is.

I was going for passive aggressive (at OP, for implying we should be profiling guests, because yes OP, that’s what that is)

It does not come across that way.

Last year our weekly sales on the RC was quite close to 30% of all sales.
Until we get 100% sales we'll have to keep speaking about the RCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back