Archived Sorting Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been at Target for 8 years, 3 in the backroom and 5 as the revision/signing person. I have now started to do the backstock side of the line when we process the truck. I am pretty knowledgable about the whole thing.

The only struggle I am having is with incoming transition. My flow TM, backroom TL, and ETL-LOG are also rather new in their repsective positions, though both TL's have been with the company for years also.

Here is my problem: How do I sort incoming transition when it is not pre-tied? I am getting a lot of boxes trickling that are not pre-tied. Do I start staging them on their own pallet, which seems like a waste to have two boxes on a pallet, or do I just send them to be backstocked in the aisles? I realize they have to be backstocked to be counted as backstock in the scores.

I have asked my leaders for any best practice tips, but so far, no info. Thanks!

Last edited:
only certain things get pretied. i would follow up with the ptl and view the pretie report to ensure they are getting everything pretied. otherwise, bp says it goes to backstock.

sometimes, depending on the set, backstock is best because it eliminates double work. we usually go ahead and backstock shoes, and drop a fill after the set. usually we don't even need but one or two things.
our backroom tl started getting gung ho so they wouldn't have to backstock as much, and she palletized every friggin' thing off the truck, even salesplanners. problem is, sf tm don't look for transition. neither do instocks tm. or etls. they zeroed out $$$$$ because they didn't realize where it was. also, some of the things with a transition date are revisions, and if it's not backstocked it won't get to the floor. for example, in domestics, seven aisles may completely reset and 6 aisles may be revisions. depending on the workload, we usually do revisions early. we won't be able to get the floor full because the revision product will be hiding in the back with the rest of the transition.

problem is, sf tm don't look for transition. neither do instocks tm. or etls. they zeroed out $$$$$ because they didn't realize where it was.

After a reset we always look for transition - we just don't always find it. Sometimes it gets put in pretty strange places in the steel, or has no label. If you scan a bunch of holes in a reset aisle and come up with numerous on-hands with no backroom locs it's time to search the steel a little harder.

It depends on the volume. Our TM usually tries his best to sort it by departments as it's coming off the truck if it isn't pretied, and then scans it in NOP to palletize them by POG later.

Thanks for the replies. Specifically, Zeek, after sorting these boxes, does he backstock them into the location where the pallet is located or into a dummy location? Does he LOCU the location later, after 24 hours, so that if the computer does generate a pull for an item on the pallet, you don't have to scan each box?

So far, I have just been sending it all to backstock. Some of the backroom team members are less than happy.

Thanks for the replies. Specifically, Zeek, after sorting these boxes, does he backstock them into the location where the pallet is located or into a dummy location? Does he LOCU the location later, after 24 hours, so that if the computer does generate a pull for an item on the pallet, you don't have to scan each box?

So far, I have just been sending it all to backstock. Some of the backroom team members are less than happy.
So it really just depends on how "much" of a certain POG you get. Ask your Flow TL to print off the Transition report from the Workload Toolkit so you can get a glimpse of what's coming. He always takes a peak at it as the truck is starting since most of the time transition isn't the first thing off the truck.

If it's enough to make a pallet, then he pops it up in the steel and just scans ONE box off the pallet, and backstocks it in that location. As for quantity, he usually just enters 1. That way, when the POG sets, it will pull the pallet from the steel. If you only get a small amount of boxes for a POG, feel free to send it down to light duty. Sometimes we get a few flat beds of freight from him, just because it wasn't enough to dedicate a whole pallet to or he didn't have enough room for some of the smaller POGs down there.

The computer shouldn't generate a pull for it since it's technically not set yet. If it's getting pulled, then you have a whole different problem. You'd have to talk to your POG TL to see why POGs are being tied before actually being set. Building a good line of communication between you and your POG TL and Flow TL is key to keeping your area organized and effective.

Zeek, the problem I see with the system you describe is that to have an accurate backstock score from the truck, you actually have to backstock all those boxes into a location for at least 24 hours. So, just scanning ONE of those boxes doesn't account for the rest of them, if I understand you correctly.

I would like to use this system, but that is the problem I see with it. Now if the items are pretied, they do not need to be backstocked at all. Just stage them on a pallet, put a transition sheet on the front, secure, and pop into the steel.

The computer will generate a pull on carry forward and multi-located product. This could get messy if this type of product is in a transition colored box mixed on a pallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back