Archived Speed Weaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speed weaving is moving people around in lines to move them through the cashiers faster. If you notice 4 customers in one line and 2 in another, you could suggest to the 4th person in the long line to move over to the shorter line to decrease their wait time. When I did speed weaving I also took out hangers from clothes for those waiting in line.

directing guests into shorter lines, helping bag or put bags in carts, moving empty carts out of the way, putting baskets away, taking hangers off, and just doing whatever you can to make things run smoother and faster.

The other day I was cashiering and my GSA saw that I had a customer with a cartload of clothes with hangers so she came over and took off all the hangers for me. Greatly sped up the process of getting the customer through the checkout. Couldn't thank her enough for her help!!

I wish speed weaving was used more at my store. Between 3 GSTLs and 5 GSAs, only one GSTL actually directs guest traffic. The rest either lean against the jewelry boat and call for back-ups without re-directing guests or hide at Guest Service (yes, I know they're stuck there with an angry guest...).

They try that with me in home depot -- sometimes I just stand there and stare at them - not moving -- sometimes I bleat like a sheep and shuffle slowly to the other line ---

As a customer I detest being treated like a moron -- I can see the shorter line -- and its my choice to go there -- or not --

One time - while on line at register #1 - a drone told me to go to lumber -- register # 16 ---

#1 to #16 - then back to my van - parked by #1 -- that's 1/4 mile ----

They also try that other little scam on me -- I'm standing there waiting my turn -- a drone waddles up to me with a PDA looking thing and wants to "Pre-check me out" - she wants to scan my stuff and hand me a ticket - when I say no thanks - their answer is -- "It will save me time at the register" - "If you were helping "at" the register - wouldn't that speed things up" -- "But sir you don't understand ---" ---"The time your taking from my life now -- I want back- at the end" ----- "What" ?

Last edited:
Speedweaving is pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Be front and center on the lanes, and constantly be aware of which lines are the shortest, and as guests pass the lanes, ask them "Are you ready to checkout?" and if they are, direct them to the quickest lane or call for a backup. If I call for a backup, I will direct the guest to an open lane and flip the light on, and tell the backup responder that I have a guest for them on Lane __. I usually don't hop on and start ringing unless its express and the backup responder is taking a while to get up to the lanes.

Be sure to try and remove speed bumps. Do stuff like moving baskets/carts out of the way, hangers on clothes, etc. And #1..... Be really quick about addressing Help Requests. Nothing kills checkout speed more than a cashier waiting for a GSTL that is taking their time.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was speedweaving, I'd cruise across the back moving guests into shorter lines & to opening lanes as back-ups were arriving.
Then I'd go across the front putting bags into carts, removing hangers, trouble-shooting, calling for carry-out if I spotted a large item.
Then around to the back to shut down back-up lanes so they could get back to the floor.
My ETL said I was "perpetual motion".
My view was it was harder to hit a moving target.

They try that with me in home depot -- sometimes I just stand there and stare at them - not moving -- sometimes I bleat like a sheep and shuffle slowly to the other line ---

As a customer I detest being treated like a moron -- I can see the shorter line -- and its my choice to go there -- or not --

One time - while on line at register #1 - a drone told me to go to lumber -- register # 16 ---

#1 to #16 - then back to my van - parked by #1 -- that's 1/4 mile ----

They also try that other little scam on me -- I'm standing there waiting my turn -- a drone waddles up to me with a PDA looking thing and wants to "Pre-check me out" - she wants to scan my stuff and hand me a ticket - when I say no thanks - their answer is -- "It will save me time at the register" - "If you were helping "at" the register - wouldn't that speed things up" -- "But sir you don't understand ---" ---"The time your taking from my life now -- I want back- at the end" ----- "What" ?

So you're one of those idiot customers that everyone hates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back