Archived Springtime Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! This is my first time on the forums, and I'm not a team member yet. However, I'm currently in high school and am looking to hopefully get a job at Target before summer. There are a small number of openings already posted for Target locations in my area. There are only a few though. I was wondering if it's still too early in terms of applying for a part-time position and whether I should wait things out and see when even more openings become available. Target doesn't seem to allow you to reapply until after a 60 day period. I don't want to just gamble and ruin my chances of landing a job at Target.

Secondly, what exactly does it mean when the job postings say "Days/Nights/Weekends?" I know it might vary, but would that schedule fit that of a potential part-time employee, particularly someone who is still in school. I'm about to turn 18, so work hours could probably be extended.

Thanks, and I apologize if this is in the wrong board. :)

First, Welcome!

Smile in your interview, it counts a lot.

I would put in your application before the rush when school lets out for the summer. But that's just my opinion, I'm not in management.

Secondly, they usually work around school hours. Of course people with a truly open availability have a better chance of getting more hours. Be prepared to work late (until whatever time minors are allowed to work in your area, if that applies) despite the fact that you have school in the morning.

I would put in your application NOW. The reason you want to put in your application very soon is because they're going to be looking for people to help with the "Easter rush" time, so I believe you'd have a better chance of getting in at this time. They may be hesitant at first because you're in school and might have to have restricted hours, but just assure them that over the summer you were wanting to have full availability or something like that.

Welcome to The Break Room.

So put your application in ahead of the rush.
Smile and be open about your availability.

They will understand you are going to school but will look forward to when school gets out.
Be timely, reliable, make sure you spell everything correctly etc.
Actually looking at your post, you seem to have a pretty good handle on a lot of that.

I'd put in the application now--I know for a fact my store is doing a hiring wave right now even though we don't have many positions open on the website.

The other advice is good--good luck!

What I look for with the people I interview:

Does the person seem genuine or are they likely putting on a facade just for the interview? While I understand people BS interviews all the time just to get their foot in the door...it looks really bad when Jim Bob blew everyone away during their interviews but comes in to work two weeks later with a horrible attitude and work ethic. Also be friendly and smile. You will do better with your interviewer if you come into the interview with targets mindset around service. Use examples in your questions that show you emphasizing the guest's experience and making a situation right rather than being too nitpicky or denying guests what they want. If you're applying for cashier (at least in my store) a big thing determining how likely we are to hire you is if it seems like you could do well with driving our red cards (credit/debit cards) and being super friendly with guests.

Hope this helps! If you keep some of this in mind I think you will impress your interviewer...because trust me I have seen and heard interview stories that were so bad they would make a talking monkey look like a great candidate.

Thank you all! You sure make a guy feel welcome. I love Target folks...
Also, is there a place to submit a resume during the online application? There doesn't seem to be an upload button or anything for electronic copies of resumes. Should I just bring one to an interview if called? Thanks :)

No there isn't a place for it online if I remember. You can bring it with you, never a bad idea! :)

Out of curiosity did any of you guys "dress up" for your interview?
I always see a lot of people coming to their interviews in jeans and hoodies.

Also when applying you can pick multiple stores, if one isn't hiring you can always get hired by your second or third choice.
I would stick with positions like cashier, sales floor, and cart attendant.

Hello all! This is my first time on the forums, and I'm not a team member yet. However, I'm currently in high school and am looking to hopefully get a job at Target before summer. There are a small number of openings already posted for Target locations in my area. There are only a few though. I was wondering if it's still too early in terms of applying for a part-time position and whether I should wait things out and see when even more openings become available. Target doesn't seem to allow you to reapply until after a 60 day period. I don't want to just gamble and ruin my chances of landing a job at Target.

Secondly, what exactly does it mean when the job postings say "Days/Nights/Weekends?" I know it might vary, but would that schedule fit that of a potential part-time employee, particularly someone who is still in school. I'm about to turn 18, so work hours could probably be extended.

Thanks, and I apologize if this is in the wrong board. :)
I would put your application ASAP. But its only kept for about 60-90 days. Target stores hiring process is that it is always accepting applications. But there might not be an immediate opening. So your application will be one in a pool of hundreds to be considered.

But to tell you the truth, pretty much everyone who is not a Exec or Team Leader is part time (under 32 hours, no benefits). Don't put your money in just for Target. Its not a total dream job that you may think it is. So don't make Target your only potential job.

Within the application, there will be a start date question. That is your the time period you choose to be available if hired. Target may interview just prior to that time, they might not interview you until after that time period.

If hired, and you are still going to be in high school or be heading off to college, be prepared to be hired for only certain areas. Cashier, salesfloor, cart attendant (for 18+ years) or Food Ave. Your shifts will probably will not be later than 945-10.

Days/Nights/Weekends means what it means....are you able to be available at 8am or earlier. Are you able to be available to close at 10pm-11pm and stay later. Are you able to be available to work weekends openings or closings.

In the past, Target was really friendly to high school and college kids with their school schedule. But now, you have to be willing to be available certain days no matter what (Black Friday, Day After Christmas, and possibly up to New Years without requesting off) and willingness to stay late or pick up shifts if asked. There is also the case you may only get one shift a week.

Yes! It doesn't have to be a suit. But slacks (or even a nice pair of dark jeans) and a dress shirt w/ a tie is always a good idea. They should make it look like they want the job enough to spend more than two minutes getting ready for it.

Yes! It doesn't have to be a suit. But slacks (or even a nice pair of dark jeans) and a dress shirt w/ a tie is always a good idea. They should make it look like they want the job enough to spend more than two minutes getting ready for it.

In my classes, I was always told to "match" what the company wears... So in this case, wear at the very least, wear a nice polo shirt or button shirt with dress slacks. If you have "dress" shoes, wear those but a dark pair of tennis shoes will be fine.

And groom your hair, include any facial hair.... You don't want to look like you rolled out of bed!!;)

We had a minor come in for the interview in red and khaki. He got hired. lol
But yes, do dress nicely. No jeans, if you can help it. No flip-flops.
Bring a planner, if you have one, with your resume in it. Even high school kids can have a nice little resume made up. Include volunteering, hobbies, goals, what you'll be pursuing in college.
Also, you could go in and introduce yourself to the HR or STL (Store Manager). But be prepared for this. Dress nicely and have your resume handy. It's always good to give someone your resume or a business card so they have a reminder of you. They can put the resume aside and then refer to it when they are ready to hire.
Even if you got hired and went through orientation they can still not start you to actually work until whenever they need you. I've seen this happen when hours were REALLY low. There just wasn't enough hours for training. Ridiculous way to do business, especially to a new hire.
Good luck!

The manager at the Hobby Lobby was telling us about a woman that came in for an interview last week. She was wearing sweats, a t-shirt that said Hot Mama on it, and drinking Sundrop (a soda popular in the South). That along with the really intelligent answers were why she didn't get the job. Oh, and the fact that the asst. manager was behind her giving the throat slashing sign probably had something to do with it.

Thats some of my mom's Adult Education or parolee students. To get state assistance or meet a court's order, they are only required to attempt to find jobs and turn in a signature sheet when they interview. But they will end showing up and purposely bomb a job interview, get the company to sign their signature sheet, and still keep up collecting.

Didn't bring a resume as my past experience is low and I never plan to move up at Target. Just something until I finish up graduate school. It's not going to hurt you to bring it anyways though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back