A look into Walmart's Zebra applications.

I just wish I can go at least one full shift without having to restart my Zebra because the scanner stops working.

I find if I use a certain app like what is it MPM? that will kill the scanner but most other stuff I use seems to be fine. I always have Epic, Receive, Pack & Ship, MyWork, sometimes Audit open at all times. But pulling in an app outside that circle is where I run into issues.

But I also realize jobs require other apps and that would suck.

This is what I do. A few times I haven't, thinking "it'll be fine, right?" and then it's not.
This exactly. If I just walk away and assume the zebra works without testing it, there is a good chance it is not functional. Then I have to run back to try to get an new one... but zebras go like hotcakes at my store depending on the time of day. Recently it has been hard to get one at all when I come in (8am), even if I come in 10-15 minutes early. All the walkies were even cleaned out today. Not having a zebra really limits what I can do for my job, but not having a walkie makes some of my TLs angry at me. It just creates so many annoying problems in both cases.

That won’t work at GS... opener takes a device for the day, closer returns it.
Well, then I imagine GS would have to start treating devices like the floor does, where you have to have the opener turn in the device and then the closer can turn around and check it out again.

That won’t work at GS... opener takes a device for the day, closer returns it.
Softlines at the store I worked is also going to have trouble. All zebras were passed along between shifts, and a couple were left at the desk for sharing so everyone working could use them as needed.

But that is probably parts of the problem they want to solve. I wonder how many people get blamed for loosing a myDevice because the person that they gave it to and the person they gave it to and the person they gave it to stole it or lost it.

Well, then I imagine GS would have to start treating devices like the floor does, where you have to have the opener turn in the device and then the closer can turn around and check it out again.
Yeah but shifts overlap. Example: 8-4, 3-11.
I’m in favor of device vending machines so an LOD doesn’t have to open the closet everytime, but the vending machine has to understand shared devices. Especially MCO ones.

Yeah but shifts overlap. Example: 8-4, 3-11.
I’m in favor of device vending machines so an LOD doesn’t have to open the closet everytime, but the vending machine has to understand shared devices. Especially MCO ones.
Our shifts didn't overlap, and that was part of it. Person leaving starts towards TSC a couple minutes before shift end, the replacement is either a minute or two late or is getting instructions from the LOD before going out onto the floor, so they either often did not see each other at all or only enough time for "Bye". That made swapping zebras rather than check in and out a necessity.

I love that vending machine idea. It's so annoying to be ready to clock out and have to stand around waiting for someone to let me in to the equipment room so I can turn in my zebra. Even if a call a bit ahead, while I'm walking in that direction, I still have to wait. (And for someone who's worked flow for a few years now, I don't do well just standing around and waiting for someone else to mosey on over to open a door.)

I love that vending machine idea. It's so annoying to be ready to clock out and have to stand around waiting for someone to let me in to the equipment room so I can turn in my zebra. Even if a call a bit ahead, while I'm walking in that direction, I still have to wait. (And for someone who's worked flow for a few years now, I don't do well just standing around and waiting for someone else to mosey on over to open a door.)
I thought this was something only my store did. Guess it's a company-wide thing

I like the vending machine idea because maybe that will encourage people to return the devices so I can actually get a device when I go to clock in, and even better a charged one at that

I feel for you guys. Unlocked cabinet and a paper for writing in and out equipment times.

We used to have that but now we are a locked cabinet and still have to sign in and out. Too many devices were hidden or unaccounted for at our store.

It sucks but I love when HR talks with me about being over time all the time when I have to explain yeah I sit there 10min waiting to turn in equipment. The conversation ends there and they pay me.

We used to have that but now we are a locked cabinet and still have to sign in and out. Too many devices were hidden or unaccounted for at our store.
Here too.
The funny part is that we're often reminded to sign it back in when returning it - like, why would I NOT sign it back in and have my TL get after me when it comes up missing because the person using it after me didn't sign it out?

Here too.
The funny part is that we're often reminded to sign it back in when returning it - like, why would I NOT sign it back in and have my TL get after me when it comes up missing because the person using it after me didn't sign it out?
Haha. Seems simple but I sign it OUT 100% of them time, sign it back in....maybe 2%....gotta go, now, no time for such niceties so long as I LOG off.

Back