Archived Starbucks adding bonuses more time off due to tax break

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Starbucks has jumped on board with rewarding employees from the new tax break. . .so what the hell is Target's problem. . . Hell just give me 40 hours for like a year I dont need a bonus or stock investment or whatever :/ Wont like this is starting to tick me off somwthing fierce and I cant decide if I am just beeing whiney or legit outraged

I get that really I do. I dont know its probably my handout side talking I just feel. . .like corporate is refusing to acknowledge how screwed up this company is getting in its desperwte attempt to stand out. I mean day after day I see my store in particular mirroring Kmart in so very many ways and it bothers me to no end. I mean hell the bargain store near us is far better set up than our store its depressing really

Target agreed to pay employees 15 an hour before the tax breaks.

Starbucks pays a lower base salary than Target in most areas. Our baristas start at 15.98, Starbucks pay 12-13 although they get tips.

15.98? For Starbucks! Wow! Can I transfer to your store lol.

Starbucks pays a lower base salary than Target in most areas. Our baristas start at 15.98, Starbucks pay 12-13 although they get tips.

Store in a min. $15/hr area? So, min. for cashiers is $15.48?

I get that really I do. I dont know its probably my handout side talking I just feel. . .like corporate is refusing to acknowledge how screwed up this company is getting in its desperwte attempt to stand out. I mean day after day I see my store in particular mirroring Kmart in so very many ways and it bothers me to no end. I mean hell the bargain store near us is far better set up than our store its depressing really

Yeah Target is not quite Costco when it comes to taking care of employees. However they aren't wal mart either. They fall somewhere inbetween

So wouldn't baristas in the same area make at least the same mandated $15.48/hr?

Most are at 15 if they are in city limits. In surrounding areas less than 5 miles a way the wage drops to the state minimum of 11.

Walmart used that tax break to give out $1000 bonuses.

But only if you were theee for 20+ years. It was way less for everyone else.

And they hoped that news would conceal the fact that they were firing tons of people.

So bonuses aren’t always what they seem.

Valid point Im not trying to compare the two I just think target isnt doing enough given how much extra money they will have to pass that onto the work force that actually keeps people coming back. Not necessarily a cash payout but maybe giving us stable hours. Personally I would trade a cash bonus for steady 37hrs anyday

The tax break was all about giving rich people more money. Period. None of us will see any benefit, in terms of wages or lower taxes actually paid, after the first year or two.

That was the entire point of the tax break. To give rich people more money. The rest of us don't matter.

Isn't target taking years to raise everyone up to 15 an hour? Wouldn't a better idea be to make starting pay reflect cost of living in a area? People that live in more expensive areas should get paid more. 15 an hour across the board sounds good in the press but is not really helpful or best in the real world.

Isn't target taking years to raise everyone up to 15 an hour? Wouldn't a better idea be to make starting pay reflect cost of living in a area? People that live in more expensive areas should get paid more. 15 an hour across the board sounds good in the press but is not really helpful or best in the real world.

It already does. While the company minimum is 11, there are cities in my region that are at 12, 13, 14 and 15.48 respectively.

HRBPs can request a higher start rate when staffing is an issue.

Targets in Seattle and San Fran start at 15ish already. The thing is by 2020 those stores will probably be at 18 or so while low cost areas will only be at 15.

Now that minimum wage in those cities is 15, Target has raised it's minimum to 15.48 and I'm sure they will continue to.

The problem with how target and other companies do their cost of living calculations is they are way off. According to a few studies the cost of living in my are should realistically be 23hr. Thats true given the insane raise in rent and property tax prices in just the last year. I make almost 14 am single have a dog and literally have nothing in my fridge. I dont party I dont have friends and I dont spend frivolously. There is NO reason an avg 38hrs should cover me comfortably. Due to rent increase and vehicle coverage and maintence and the cost of utilities sky rocketing Im bobbing along in an ocean of ramen. If a comapny cared they would adjust with the region not just the pennies they feel like filtering out.

Baristas at corporate Starbucks make significantly less than Starbucks TMs at Tarbucks, even if you factor in tips. Remember, the minimum wage company wide will be $15 by 2020 (double the federal minimum wage, which is the minimum in most states)

Baristas at corporate Starbucks make significantly less than Starbucks TMs at Tarbucks, even if you factor in tips. Remember, the minimum wage company wide will be $15 by 2020 (double the federal minimum wage, which is the minimum in most states)

Southern CA
Minimum wage = $11.00
Tarbucks wage = $11.50
You'd make more money at a regular Starbucks, get tips and more benefits (free food, free coffee, online tuition, stock, etc).

BTW, the cashiers still make $11 (which is what they made last year when minimum wage was $10.50). I thought that they would be going up to $11.50. Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back