Archived STL inappropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I have an STL in my store who continually trashes the team members and TL's. I myself feel as if I have been a victim of character assassination as I have been told when providing my TM's with rewards and just fun things like easter eggs, "I hope your doing this because your being nice and not any other reason". I have heard over the walkie on channel one that this STL has told a TL that "your obviously not doing a good job!" Now I have provided a TM who doesnt get many hours, my hours because I feel she will do a great job and the feedback I received from my ETL was "well you need to give the hours to people who can keep up with us!"

what can I do about this behavior? I think it is very demoralizing and frankly im sick of it. im trying to keep my cool and not saying anything because i need my job and i need a good word for a transfer out.

wow! sounds like your mgt has some issues. your big chance is coming up in a few weeks. its called the best team survey. also, document all event that are inappropriate or demeaning too. your etl-hr may doing it already.
my bet is, your stl may not be around much longer...

wow! sounds like your mgt has some issues. your big chance is coming up in a few weeks. its called the best team survey. also, document all event that are inappropriate or demeaning too. your etl-hr may doing it already.

This and this again.
But I'm sorry to say that for right now you aren't going to change his behavior per se.
My only suggestion is to treat his behavior is the same way you might treat somebody telling a vaguely racist joke.
Looking at them like you can't believe they would say something that stupid and slowly shaking your head is a good start.
If he calls you on it have a short speech ready about appropriate and supportive comments as opposed to destructive and uncalled for ones.
Keep in mind if you do this in public he will make your life a living hell.

Last edited:
Your STL sounds like a candidate for douche-hood.
As Commie suggests, keep a short spiel ready. Demonstrating courage while cultivating talent, perhaps?

This and this again.
But I'm sorry to say that for right now you aren't going to change his behavior per se.
My only suggestion is to treat his behavior is the same way you might treat somebody telling a vaguely racist joke.
Looking at them like you can't believe they would say something that stupid and slowly shaking your head is a good start.
If he calls you on it have a short speech ready about appropriate and supportive comments as opposed to destructive and uncalled for ones.
Keep in mind if you do this in public he will make your life a living hell.

I would not recommend the speech part. I've found the best way of handling this is to repeat what has been said, but frame it as a question: "I want to make sure I'm understanding you. You're telling me that..." It's an incredibly effective way of having the results you want without turning it into a situation where you can be accused of copping an attitude or being insubordinate.

thank you everyone for your support. I love my job but I feel I cannot be my best because I hear things such as this almost weekly, makes me not want to move up at all. I dont think all stores are like this, my old store wasnt. Unfortunately I cannot tell my ETL HR because she is very close to the STL - they have each others backs. I cannot trust that she can seperate the two.

Good suggestion Melvin.
Much better than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back