Archived STL Watching TMs Via Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first they came for the loafers and I did not defend them because I was not a loafer.

Then they came for the people not working at "optimal speed" and I did not defend them because I worked at "optimal speed".

Then they came for me and there was nobody to defend me.

I mean, I know that's over-dramatic, but it's a slippery slope. First it starts as "oh we're just catching the loafers" and then it moves to other things, and soon you basically have someone watching you on camera every second to watch for even the slightest slip-up.

Sorry was just making sure you were actually taking a shit, and not peeing for ....._____________ that long.

My stl can't keep up with me. I do communicate on what I have done help the team & make sales for the store. Mostly high demand neglect areas.

I thought only AP was allowed to access the cameras. And doesn't the STL have more important things to do anyways? Like actually respond to TMs that need help?

Regardless, re: coaching from cameras...
i'm pretty sure any etl can. i think its more key to ap room and knowing how to use the cameras. etl's are supposed to have ap in the room, but like best practice things get grey area.

i'm pretty sure any etl can. i think its more key to ap room and knowing how to use the cameras. etl's are supposed to have ap in the room, but like best practice things get grey area.
We're supposed to lock down our work stations at the end of the day. You have to have AP credentials to access the camera system. My old etl-AP had his credentials removed almost immediately after being replaced

Any ETL can get into the AP office. Doesn't mean they are allowed to use the cameras. They definitely are not supposed to be accessing cameras. It's a direct conflict of interest. ETLs can be investigated for theft. I have personally seen an ETL termed for theft.

The rules are pretty clear. No grey area.

Any ETL can get into the AP office. Doesn't mean they are allowed to use the cameras. They definitely are not supposed to be accessing cameras. It's a direct conflict of interest. ETLs can be investigated for theft. I have personally seen an ETL termed for theft.

The rules are pretty clear. No grey area.
I've heard of ETLs stealing from cash office and walking out with merchandise and all I think is why....you can't be THAT bad off

We can't log on in AP office at all. Whenever I need color copies of something, I have to have AP log on and print it. We definitely can't get to the cameras. Used to be able to though.

Like its been covered, no one but AP team can access cameras.
When I was in AP with the older systems we always had the overnight ETL screwing with our cameras.We would go over the recordings and he would be sitting in the AP office on the cameras half the night. Well one time we were working on an internal, so we had the cameras pointed and recording in a certain direction to record some incidents, well it was missed because the ETL moved the cameras to watch his TM's and didn't move them back. My ETL-AP cussed him out for probably 15 minutes in the AP office with us and the STL. He even slipped in, maybe they were working together. LOL Oh how I miss "old target AP". Good memories!

Just to chime in here, in all the years I worked AP-- Watching TM's on camera was boring as HELL! Seriously. It's a bird's eye view from the sky and its not very exciting at all. The stores don't have ALL SEEING ALL KNOWING cameras everywhere, Aside from shoplifters, watching $9/hr TM's to "catch" them on their phones is SO damn PETTY and RIDICULOUS . There was much more important stuff that needed to get done than to terrorize minimum wage employee's lives. Seriously, anybody that does that shit needs to get off their high horse and grow the fuck up.

So apparently my STL has been checking the cameras a lot lately in order to catch loafers. What are your thoughts on this? Honestly I think it's...a little weird to just be constantly watched like that. And I don't even know what she counts as "loafing." She's really chatty and talks up TLs ans ETLs all the time for a couple minutes so I s2g if that's all it takes to get written up (I was told a couple were already written up about it) I'm gonna be pissed off because it feels like she's placed a "No Fun at Work" sign.

I'm leaving for 2 weeks tomorrow so hopefully she would have given up by then lol
Your STL is always on the clock..24/7 so him talking to people isn't loafing. You can be written up for loafing for do anything that isn't work related. Just stopping to talk to a fellow team member but saying "how was your weekend?" Is loafing. Loafing is time clock fraud . If you're doing it all the time you could be charged with a crime.

Last edited:
Your STL is always on the clock..24/7 so him talking to people isn't loafing. You can be written up for loafing for do anything that isn't work related. Just stopping to talk to a fellow team member but saying "how was your weekend?" Is loafing. Loafing is time clock fraud . If you're doing it all the time you could be charged with a crime.
Target gets way more than their moneys worth out of me. If I choose to stop for a few seconds to speak to a fellow tm...then IMO that's just being a nice person and fellow tm. Now, if I was standing there for five minutes I could see an issue. I get my work done and then some every day that I am in the store. So, if I want to stop and talk for a few minutes or seconds here and there I will. IF Spot wants to complain about it ...I will be more than happy to start doing like most of my fellow tms...and doing just barely enough work to get by.

It's probably because when the DTL was watching the STL on HIS camera, he saw the STL wasn't doing enough to catch "loafers." It goes without saying that the DTL's boss (I don't know the hierarchy...) encouraged the DTL to pester the STL after what that person saw while watching HIS video. This probably goes all the way up to Cornell.

I think it's hilarious that you hear so much about people who get paid more and have set schedules in office jobs browsing reddit and facebook but if you work retail, "if you have time to lean, you have time to clean!" A good number of us do just as much mental labor as office workers, but with the addition of physical labor our time is worth less pay and terrible benefits? Bah. I might be a little salty today.

YLoafing is time clock fraud . If you're doing it all the time you could be charged with a crime.
You're an idiot.

It's probably because when the DTL was watching the STL on HIS camera, he saw the STL wasn't doing enough to catch "loafers." It goes without saying that the DTL's boss (I don't know the hierarchy...) encouraged the DTL to pester the STL after what that person saw while watching HIS video. This probably goes all the way up to Cornell.
This would NEVER happen. Plus, at a DTL level, there is an INSANE amount of work to be done around districts, STL's, Sr. ETL's, New ETLS, Interviews/Promotions, Corporate, ect that 99% of TM's aren't even on radar. Literally the ONLY ones tasked with TM's are the TL's. Even the ETL's aren't really supposed to do much other than make sure TL's are doing their jobs. As a TM, you would NEVER get coached by a DTL. Plus, the DTL isn't there to crap on the STL. That's the DTL's GO-TO person to make sure things get done. Their relationship isn't like that of a TM vs ETL. Both STL & DTL make GREAT money and are entrusted with high-scope responsiblities. If you think it's hard to get rid of a TM (or ETL), try imaging an STL or DTL (near-god status)... just a perspective to think about.

You're an idiot.

This would NEVER happen. Plus, at a DTL level, there is an INSANE amount of work to be done around districts, STL's, Sr. ETL's, New ETLS, Interviews/Promotions, Corporate, ect that 99% of TM's aren't even on radar. Literally the ONLY ones tasked with TM's are the TL's. Even the ETL's aren't really supposed to do much other than make sure TL's are doing their jobs. As a TM, you would NEVER get coached by a DTL. Plus, the DTL isn't there to crap on the STL. That's the DTL's GO-TO person to make sure things get done. Their relationship isn't like that of a TM vs ETL. Both STL & DTL make GREAT money and are entrusted with high-scope responsiblities. If you think it's hard to get rid of a TM (or ETL), try imaging an STL or DTL (near-god status)... just a perspective to think about.
I had a DTL who would watch us TMs from the parking lot in his car. Then come in and report what he saw. Creepy, but it happened.

The most interesting part here is that you ignored Cornell's role in the whole ordeal!

My STL micromanages to the extent of deciding who gets a mydevice. I heard once someone saw our ETL-AP and our STL just watching the cameras. Not watching for theft, just watching. Also one of our AP interns once called someone out because there was a guest who looked like they needed help and saw it on the cameras.

Just to chime in here, in all the years I worked AP-- Watching TM's on camera was boring as HELL! Seriously. It's a bird's eye view from the sky and its not very exciting at all. The stores don't have ALL SEEING ALL KNOWING cameras everywhere, Aside from shoplifters, watching $9/hr TM's to "catch" them on their phones is SO damn PETTY and RIDICULOUS . There was much more important stuff that needed to get done than to terrorize minimum wage employee's lives. Seriously, anybody that does that shit needs to get off their high horse and grow the fuck up.

I loved loved loved catching internals. It was my favorite part of the job, that, and maintaining our camera system. But that doesn't mean I wanted to catch people and tattle on them for being on the phones. The ETL's would always come in asking us to move cameras here and there because they had TM's on the phone. My ETL-AP would always tell them to get lost. There was not one time we told on anyone for slacking or whatever. The only thing my ETL-AP had in mind was catching internal theft and shoplifters, the only other thing my etl was picky on was key control, we always had to be nagging people about keys and reviewing video for people losing keys or leaving (not including baler/wave) keys unattended.

When you say we don't have cameras everywhere, depends on your store, I started in a store that had analog, went through a remodel to go to IP/analog hybrid. Even though we were supposed to get rid of a bunch of stuff, we just hid it and hooked it up after it was done. Between the new IP and old analog, we had about 20 PTZ's, and over 180 stationary cameras. somehow we got sent an extra encoder rack during the remodel. Loved that store. We could come in after a night find something stolen, and have enough cameras that we could burn a cd and send it to the cops, and would be enough to prosecute without us even being there.

I hope they don't catch me touching myself...
aaf_shifty.gif

Between the new IP and old analog, we had about 20 PTZ's, and over 180 stationary cameras. somehow we got sent an extra encoder rack during the remodel. Loved that store. We could come in after a night find something stolen, and have enough cameras that we could burn a cd and send it to the cops, and would be enough to prosecute without us even being there.
You lucky bastard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back