Archived Store changing the dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one of the few TMs who actually read (and kept) my handbook. HR-ETL (at my store) was a complete idiot. So, that passage that you posted, I knew by heart already. I needed to know the handbook well, which was obvious really quickly when the same HR-ETL was clueless about the dependent discount card.

I sold off all of my red shirts, tops, blouses and sweaters at my garage sale for $1 each. Sold every last one of them. :) I kept some of the red promo shirts, which come in handy for high school spirit days when they have to wear red. (Ask me about free shipping, etc)

Look up labor laws for dress codes? I never once disagreed that certain states like California or washing don’t have different labor laws but the majority of the country follows the labor laws that do not require your employer to purchase your dress code unless they require you to wear a specific piece of clothing. Target is 100% within their rights to tell someone they have to wear a certain style. There are plenty of jobs that require to you dress business casual or tell you, you have to have a collared shirt and that is legal. All I was saying is target is within their rights and although it might suck, it’s not any reason to call the hotline or make it a legal issue.

Not it California. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ damn it feels good wearing what I want.

Oof id be pissed if they made me button my vest lol I usually wear black skinny jeans with a zip up hoodie and then my vest over which slips off the second I’m on break or clock out

This was posted at a store I went to for support help earlier.
View attachment 6259View attachment 6259

Thank you for sharing this! It upsets me to see that that store clearly edited what is in the Team Member Handbook to remove and add things that are not a part of the official dress code policy. They are trying to trick TMs into conforming to the store's BS version of what they feel is brand! :mad:

Last edited:
They've gotten a bit more strict at my store, but nothing to that degree.

Let me re-phrase that. For about 2 years they were way too lax, so now they're getting back to the HQ dress code (which new TMs are interpreting as too strict).

Biggest issues were people (including TLs and ETLs) wearing the black "new and only at Target" shirts outside of launch weeks, and people wearing red shirts with HUGE non-Target graphics and/or lettering. So HRBP put a stop to that, which makes sense.

At my store SF TMs in all areas will wear the black "New at Target" or past promo Ts with nothing being said about them. ASANTS.

my location we either have to wear a plain red shirt, or one with the small bullseye logo over one of the breasts. no target shirts unless its almost unidentifiable as being target. its a district wide thing apparently, too.

Oof id be pissed if they made me button my vest lol I usually wear black skinny jeans with a zip up hoodie and then my vest over which slips off the second I’m on break or clock out

Target is one of those transparent places were you knew Red and Khaki was a thing. If you're not even trying I don't understand why you would apply to begin with :rolleyes:

My store printed out little Post-It size sheets and passed them out to all TMs that say something like this, which I think is stupid:
  • Khaki and solid red only (no red patterns)
  • Prefer polo or buttondown shirt (but not required
  • No jeans except on weekends
  • No shorts except cart attendant
If someone's not required... why mention it?

My store printed out little Post-It size sheets and passed them out to all TMs that say something like this, which I think is stupid:
  • Khaki and solid red only (no red patterns)
  • Prefer polo or buttondown shirt (but not required
  • No jeans except on weekends
  • No shorts except cart attendant
If someone's not required... why mention it?

Whoever thought this up doesn’t have enough to do, which under modernization is a marvel in itself.😉 Not to mention the utter waste of time and paper, since the actual dress code is printed in the handbook.🙄

Oddly, at my store, it is usually the STL and other ETLs who are picky about what TMs wear. I don't back them up on their BS though. I say red top and any solid colored pants. If needed, I would gladly show the leaders the multiple Target documents that state Target's official dress code.

The only people who care at my store are the ETL HR and one (out of the 3) HR TMs.

I don’t know if it was HR, but someone was.😉🙄😂

Oh. Trust me, it was definitely HR. No matter where I've worked, it's always HR doing this type of pointless stuff. There is always one HR person who is good and does all the work. The rest make work for themselves. So far at Spot I've found my store is no different. We have one HR person who takes to wandering around the floor telling TMs how to do their jobs. My TL heads to the backroom when she sees the HR person coming because she doesn't want to deal with it. This person is horrible. Several times I've already had to tell this HR-TM that no, I can't stop doing what I'm doing to go do what she thinks needs to be done because my current task is what the ETL wants done as the priority task. This always results in a long walkie conversation between the HR person and the ETL that ends up with the ETL saying I need to keep doing what I'm doing and not go do what the HR person wants done. And, that was 15 minutes of my time wasted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back