Archived Store changing the dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvandtears

SrTL Salesfloor
My store has recently implemented a new dress code that doesn’t match the handbook. We aren’t allowed to wear the red vests they’ve given out, volunteer shirts, or the red card/event shirts. They didn’t give out the Minecraft shirts this past weekend even though my store got them. You can only wear solid red or neutral colors under a cardigan or a vest if you purchase it. They want Style team members to dress “stylish” and anyone who resists doing so is a “bad fit” for the store.

Is this okay? This is coming from the HRBP and I’m not sure how to respond.

There was instruction that TM's working the tables were to wear the Minecraft shirts. All Target shirts that are sent to stores are to be used to advertise services or events, it makes no sense to ignore that advertisement.

This is one person being an asshole to make their name.

Hotline would be a good place to start, this is against policy and could entangle some legal issues if pushed hard enough.

It's a job. They can tell you to wear whatever that want. The only time it is against labor laws is when they require you to wear a specific item of clothing. Requiring you to wear a specific style of clothing is no different than requiring you to wear only red shirts. If you store was forcing you to buy a certain red nike polo and everyone has to wear that same one and they tell you, you need to pay for it, that is against labor laws but just telling you to dress presentable and now allowing you to wear t-shirts is not.

It's a job. They can tell you to wear whatever that want. The only time it is against labor laws is when they require you to wear a specific item of clothing. Requiring you to wear a specific style of clothing is no different than requiring you to wear only red shirts. If you store was forcing you to buy a certain red nike polo and everyone has to wear that same one and they tell you, you need to pay for it, that is against labor laws but just telling you to dress presentable and now allowing you to wear t-shirts is not.

Where it varies is that it does not allow even Target issued gear. That is what makes it weird.

Where it varies is that it does not allow even Target issued gear. That is what makes it weird.
Yeah I don't disagree that it's dumb but I can certainly see spot heading in that direction with all the modernization and the majority of stores being more neutral colors after remodel. I was just stating that while it sucks and is dumb there is nothing illegal or against policy for OPs store to do it.

So what happens to looking professional if the company hits that 5% comp increase and everyone wears jeans every day. And not just jeans, but different brands, different shades of blue, different styles...

Sometimes upper management just doesn't think things through.

This won't fly in California at all.

I haven’t heard anything about that much store does red and khaki and jeans on weekend but I still see tms in the red vest

Fair, but the Minecraft shirt is part of a paid promotion. Part of giving target money to di the event was undoubtedly to wear the branded shirts during it. Target stores refusing to allow those shirts for the event could be breach of contract.

Nor Washington. You want me to wear specific clothing? Guess what you get to buy it!
But telling you to wear red is the same thing. If you went by that logic then you would wear whatever you wanted. I can’t speak for you personally but a lot of people that work for target go out and buy red and khaki to work there so tell me how it’s any different.

To be fair those items are promotional T-shirts and are meant to wear for a short time. I do agree it’s weird they couldn’t wear the Minecraft ones but I have a feeling they were telling TMs that we’re not apart of the event no. A great example of this is the Black T-shirt’s “new and only at target” should not be worn for more than a couple weeks after a big new launch and they should only be worn if you are wearing the corresponding launch pin to promote what is new. The Minecraft ones are a good example too because we’re im sure there are plenty of TMs that are going to wear that shirt all the time, it is only meant for that one day. Also I think people just like to complain.... so what if your employer asks you to look presentable at work???

But telling you to wear red is the same thing. If you went by that logic then you would wear whatever you wanted. I can’t speak for you personally but a lot of people that work for target go out and buy red and khaki to work there so tell me how it’s any different.

I do wear what the fuck I want to wear. They get to pay for the vest I wear over it..

Because CA and WA are special. Either buy the uniform or the vest or be in violation of state labor laws.
The TM has the option, not the requirement, of buying their own red & khaki.

Because CA and WA are special. Either buy the uniform or the vest or be in violation of state labor laws.
The TM has the option, not the requirement, of buying their own red & khaki.

Cause they realize that you want a uniform, you should supply it. Not be a cheap piece of shit and put that on your employees. Also we have leadership who want us to only wear target gear, which I get. But none of the womens pants or shirts are actually work wear for the physical work I do. Pockets don't hold knives or phones, keys with any security. Shirts are cut way to low for anyone with a bust so you either wear two shirts(what sweaty fun when you run around all day throwing freight) or you wear a guys t-shirt. Which is what I do on the daily, cause target can't make women's clothing for women who actually do physical work.

Last edited:
There was instruction that TM's working the tables were to wear the Minecraft shirts. All Target shirts that are sent to stores are to be used to advertise services or events, it makes no sense to ignore that advertisement.

This is one person being an asshole to make their name.

Hotline would be a good place to start, this is against policy and could entangle some legal issues if pushed hard enough.

Those shirts can only be worn during an event and that's it.

When you have to manipulate a scenario to such a specific degree, in order to "win" an argument.

When you think your opinions are better than a law.

Yeah we literally have a poster in TSC with a picture of appropriate uniform options. It shows the traditional red and khaki, and it also shows that you can wear black pants with a red vest. Sorry you live in a stupid state. It's just better here.

When you have to manipulate a scenario to such a specific degree, in order to "win" an argument.

When you think your opinions are better than a law.

Yeah we literally have a poster in TSC with a picture of appropriate uniform options. It shows the traditional red and khaki, and it also shows that you can wear black pants with a red vest. Sorry you live in a stupid state. It's just better here.
Look up labor laws for dress codes? I never once disagreed that certain states like California or washing don’t have different labor laws but the majority of the country follows the labor laws that do not require your employer to purchase your dress code unless they require you to wear a specific piece of clothing. Target is 100% within their rights to tell someone they have to wear a certain style. There are plenty of jobs that require to you dress business casual or tell you, you have to have a collared shirt and that is legal. All I was saying is target is within their rights and although it might suck, it’s not any reason to call the hotline or make it a legal issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back