Archived Store Visit Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt Alms

Hi

So I was informed that our store is getting a visit tomorrow from a BIG SHOT. I just remember marketing manager or something. One of ETL's said "right under the CEO of Target" is coming to see what we do to make our Vibe scores so high. Lately, our stores scores have been right around 90% (#1 in our district).

Questions:
I work 8-2 tomorrow, what time do these visits usually happen?
Since it's vibe he is focused on, will he come in secretly to see if he gets guest serviced? I'm in hardlines tom.
Should I know specials, peak hours, ect just in case?
Any advice to make myself seem important/intelligent?

Thanks!

Any big pre-planned visit will most likely happen right at 8am, or possibly at 7am or so if it's more of an operational visit where they might want to walk areas before guests arrive (i.e. instocks, backroom, truck unload, etc.). Since it sounds like he wants to do to see what you guys are doing for the vibe, he will likely come in during peak hours so be prepared for anytime from 9am-1pm typically depending on when your store picks up. Also rarely ever do we get visits on the weekend because of how slammed we are, so this guy is probably not going to be there at noon on a Saturday.

If he announced he is coming he 99% likely won't do a mystery shop. Typically they will just walk with the STL and all ETLs and interview TMs and watch how they interact with guests. All the while the little ETL elves will be two steps ahead of the visitor fixing endcaps and picking things up off the floor. At least that is what happens at my store. On my first DTL walk I was told that we should be always stepping over to help the guests and not even let the guests talk to the DTL haha.

If you are a TM then you do not need to know anything very specific. Although if you are interested in promoting or being in the pipeline, shining in a DTL/GTL/Regional visit is one sure fire way to get you noticed. If you want to be a TL for example, I would suggest you know what a TL would know. How much are you comping in sales for the week/month/year, what are your vibe score wins and opportunities, and be prepared to speak to being bold, all things for all guests, and whatever flavor of the week rollout there is.

Biggest piece of advice is to be personable, extroverted, and don't let them intimidate you! It is very easy to see when a TM is too intimidated by a big visitor that they can't even get their words out correctly. Also...I know that in my group at least my group manager does not like for her visits to be a big fuss. She doesn't like to see TMs lying about their routines, stop their normal tasks when she comes around the corner just to be able to talk to her, or even worse ignore a guest. I cringed when during a walk one of our Electronics TMs was talking to her and a guest approached them for help and he told the guest that he would help her in a minute. There was a collective facepalm as our group manager had to tell the guest "Actually, we're not doing anything that important where we can't help you. [Name] would be happy to grab that for you right now."

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I really appreciate it. It's a big relief off my shoulders that he probably will not visit in "Disguise". You make it seem like I won't be the focus (Obviously I won't, I'm just a sales floor/ brand team member!) But I will look for my chance to shine if it is presented to me! My goal is to be in the pipeline/ on the bench in 6 months!

One thing to consider--several of my best TLs and TMs that I've had the pleasure of working with came out of nowhere and unexpectedly. People will often surprise you. So look for your chance to really make a good impression and be able to speak to things that no regular TM would even care about or know about because that can be what will jump start your development! Good luck :)

Store visits are always fun and cute because the ETLs put on their fake nice masks and pretend like they give a shit. I hate store visits because of all the fakeness and lies. Why do I have to drop everything for a big shot that I've never met and doesn't give a shit about me or other employees? And if the ETLs want to get good grades on visits and street credit from their big shot bosses then they should treat everyday like it's a store visit day.

Bumping this thread because I think the store visit culture of Target is completely toxic to store operations. A couple thoughts.

A) The red carpet treatment hurts more than it helps. Our new gvp was supposed to visit our store on any one of three dates. We spent so much payroll to zone and get ready for her visit. Oh wait she's not coming anymore? Enjoy the bare grid on Friday and Saturday because we overspent to impress on a visit that didn't even happen.

B) visits are so well announced or sister stores warn each other when a higher up is near so that they always see a dolled up store rather than the one we actually work in day in and day out.

C) many etls and tls use visits to try to promote. So they take credit for stuff they didn't do or lie and say everything's great rather than try to address store problems.

D) the store visit recaps are by far the worst. Rather than a dtl giving a recommendation Stls have to write what their store can do better and send it out to other stores. They always come up with unrealistic expectations. The newest ones from my stores visit today was " our beauty team member needs their breaks covered" by who? The non existent othet person in hardlines who is already covering electronics. Oh we need an expert in "home decor" for our project 62 launch. Wait? You want a home innovation expert for free? And you aren't going to offer any financial incentive. FOH...

My final pet peeve is how they try to make you as a team member feel responsible for visits. Come on guys we want a good report on our visit? Why? I'm not getting a raise. Most dtls don't even acknowledge team members other than a brief hello.

What's funny is when we have visits now some of the folks are genuinely kind to me not because I'm so special but because I don't feel compelled to kiss their @$$. I say hi, and keep working. Yeah hrbp I know you want to shoot the s#t but I have to process payroll.

So stupid they send these emails demanding better guest service when many of them skipped even working in the store. Our pmtbp was never a pmt. Hrbp was never a Etl HR. Like seriously?

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because I think the store visit culture of Target is completely toxic to store operations. A couple thoughts.

A) The red carpet treatment hurts more than it helps. Our new gvp was supposed to visit our store on any one of three dates. We spent so much payroll to zone and get ready for her visit. Oh wait she's not coming anymore? Enjoy the bare grid on Friday and Saturday because we overspent to impress on a visit that didn't even happen.

B) visits are so well announced or sister stores warn each other when a higher up is near so that they always see a dolled up store rather than the one we work in day in and day out.

C) many etls and tls use visits to try to promote. So they take credit for stuff they didn't do or lie and say everything's great rather than try to address store problems.

D) the store visit recaps are by far the worst. Rather than a dtl giving a recommendation Stls have to write what their store can do better and send it out to other stores. They always come up with unrealistic expectations. The newest ones from my stores visit today was " our beauty team member needs their breaks covered" by who? The non existent othet person in hardlines who is already covering electronics. Oh we need an expert in "home decor" for our project 62 launch. Wait? You want a home innovation expert for free? And you aren't going to offer any financial incentive. FOH...

My final pet peeve is how they try to make you as a team member feel responsible for visits. Come on guys we want a good report on our visit? Why I'm not getting a raise. Most dtls don't even acknowledge team members other than a brief hello.

What's funny is when we have visits now some of the folks are genuinely kind to me not because I'm so special but because I don't feel compelled to kiss their @$$. I say hi, and keep working lol.

So stupid they send these emails demanding better guest service when many of them skipped even working in the store. Our pmtbp was never a pmt. Hrbp was never a Etl HR. Like seriously?
Amen, to all of this. I have alluded to several of these comments in the past. If Corp wants to know what happens in stores then come without an announcement. Our DTL has never said hi to me and I am not alone with the rest of my teamies. I don't expect him to remember my name, but he could say hi when he walks by if I am within talking distance.

Amen, to all of this. I have alluded to several of these comments in the past. If Corp wants to know what happens in stores then come without an announcement. Our DTL has never said hi to me and I am not alone with the rest of my teamies. I don't expect him to remember my name, but he could say hi when he walks by if I am within talking distance.
Or heaven forbid, introduce them self to me. Today we were so short-staffed. If they came today they could have seen what the E2E looks like when you have minimal sales floor coverage and we are at GF at the front. Then you have clothes piling at the FR and re-shop getting bigger.

I have actually met and had conversations with all 3 of the DTLs that were over my store. The current on a lady is especially nice and help actually try to get the kennels that went to online only in the store (before they did) so I do get the hi, how is everything stop when she is prowling the floor.

Thanks to the unforeseen circumstances I have seen her much more. Its a mixed bag, Oh and t be really clear, Our CEO loves to show up in random stores completely incognito to check on things before a big visit. Thats how Target canada died.

OTOH, I have had the lets get everything beautiful, burn hours like a dumpster fire and then nothing. Yes, visits from above GVP are never real store conditions and that sucks.

The primping for visits is so much bullshit. Why not show the real situation our store is in? How can Corp know the issues if all these visits show is pretty, stocked, perfect stores? Ugh, it's lame.

And I can't agree more about saying hi to tms. I guess it's a big pet peeve with me. I get they don't want to maybe open up the opportunity for talking, but say hi while on the move then. We are down an etl so have been getting fillers who don't say hi, I'm blahblah. Seriously, it's insulting and I don't think they get it at all. I don't want to know you, boy, just be respectful. (End rant)

OTOH, I have had the lets get everything beautiful, burn hours like a dumpster fire and then nothing. Yes, visits from above GVP are never real store conditions and that sucks.

Why they never let the talk to me cause that is always the first thing out of our mouth.. "Hey DTL can you make sure to ask the STL how she is going to cover the rest of the week after extending every one to the point we all need to cut 10+hrs?" Cause Saturday is going to be a ghost town.

We get a ton of unannounced visit. Which I think is great. We have high standards in our stores and most days are visit ready some days not so much but because most visit go well the powers that be will a little more forgiving.

We get a ton of unannounced visit. Which I think is great. We have high standards in our stores and most days are visit ready some days not so much but because most visit go well the powers that be will a little more forgiving.
We have high standards in our store, too. However, we don't have the hours to get it all done.

Y'all didn't even mention the stuff that's done which actively undermines the store going forward. Flexing everything and making instocks suffer greatly, unlocated displays put up at the last minute, lots of product flexed into endcaps about to reset, that sort of thing -- the negative impacts can take months to undo.

Y'all didn't even mention the stuff that's done which actively undermines the store going forward. Flexing everything and making instocks suffer greatly, unlocated displays put up at the last minute, lots of product flexed into endcaps about to reset, that sort of thing -- the negative impacts can take months to undo.

Why as the ETLs go around tossing crap anywhere on any end cap, I undo do as I follow behind them.

Explain please.
I can't find the story but there was one where the CEO walked into a Canadian store incognito on christmas eve and it wasn't busy at all. It was in fact very quiet. This is believe was the final straw. Yes the IT sucked. Yes the ancient zellers buildings sucked and were poorly placed. Yes the mgmet up there was fools too.

As for down here, yes I have knowledge that he does do that on occasion in areas of high value to him. So no your story in the middle of colorado is mostly safe. However, that one in Seattle or LA not so much.

Yes, he spent the Labor Day weekend in Southern CA. Saw him on lots of cameras. Too bad he skipped my store.

I don't think that his visit to Canada had anything to do with their stores closing. I think that it was a distribution issue actually.

DTLs are now supposed to be giving more night/weekend visits in order to become aware of some of the store's opportunities. But they must also give notice of these visits one day beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back