Archived Straight told off an annoying guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for great guest service at Target. How dare those guests ask question and expect somebody to at least try an answer. I am shocked you did not even ask her what her question was. It could have been something simple. Maybe you just told the story wrong but, frankly you look like the problem in this one.

Mobile normally doesn't answer regular electronics calls. Since I can answer the majority of them without consulting anything, I pick up when I can and hand off when I have to. The electronics team appreciates this.

Yes, I should have tried to help her. But I smelled a long pointless conversation with an old person that wouldn't help me do anything related to the reason I'm paid to be in Target and I punted. Awkwardly.

I'm starting to hate our guests. It's not my fault you chose a camera that uses memory stick when the rest of the world is on SD, or that your camera can only handle SD and we only sell SDHC. Oh, we don't sell a case for your phone? That's certainly a reason to complain to management.

Two people today asked if we had a place for them to see what's sold on target.com. This is not a library.... (I told electronics to use that to segue into a tablet demo next time)

Mobile normally doesn't answer regular electronics calls. Since I can answer the majority of them without consulting anything, I pick up when I can and hand off when I have to. The electronics team appreciates this.

Yes, I should have tried to help her. But I smelled a long pointless conversation with an old person that wouldn't help me do anything related to the reason I'm paid to be in Target and I punted. Awkwardly.

I'm starting to hate our guests. It's not my fault you chose a camera that uses memory stick when the rest of the world is on SD, or that your camera can only handle SD and we only sell SDHC. Oh, we don't sell a case for your phone? That's certainly a reason to complain to management.

Two people today asked if we had a place for them to see what's sold on target.com. This is not a library.... (I told electronics to use that to segue into a tablet demo next time)

Yep. Well you're not wrong. A lot of people suck. There are a lot of guests I would honestly hope to never ever see again. Yet somehow, having a little bit of pride in my work, and not doing my job shitty, somehow makes it go by a little bit smoother.

I agree @Target NPC. I was at the service desk when a lady brought a bathing suit up. She was trying to find a different size. I used the merch locate button, called the other store and then went online when the other store couldn't locate the item. I got tons of gratitude and a VIBE card filled out because of that. It made *me* feel good.

who has reasonable questions that relate to his job duties....I smelled a long pointless conversation with an old person
I think this is what's most offensive about these two posts....if he's supposed to be covering bikes, and you didn't even bother asking what her question was, wouldn't ANY question she had technically "relate to his job duties" for THAT day? And as far as the conversation being "long and pointless" simply because she was old, how the hell can you make this assumption? Maybe she simply wanted to know if you had a certain bike in stock or something as simple as that?

I think this is what's most offensive about these two posts....if he's supposed to be covering bikes, and you didn't even bother asking what her question was, wouldn't ANY question she had technically "relate to his job duties" for THAT day? And as far as the conversation being "long and pointless" simply because she was old, how the hell can you make this assumption? Maybe she simply wanted to know if you had a certain bike in stock or something as simple as that?
Did you just copy random bits of @kyle petty's posts in this thread to create that quote? Because you are quoting something that was not said.

The OP works for Target Mobile...He sells cell phones, not bikes. He picked up the phone as a favor to the busy electronics TM and what he gets in return is an overreacting guest in full-on bitch mode. Considering that he does not get paid to deal with that shit, I would say the reaction is appropriate.

There is no reason for everyone to be hating on him for being passive aggressive with a rude guest.

Did you just copy random bits of @kyle petty's posts in this thread to create that quote? Because you are quoting something that was not said.

The OP works for Target Mobile...He sells cell phones, not bikes. He picked up the phone as a favor to the busy electronics TM and what he gets in return is an overreacting guest in full-on bitch mode. Considering that he does not get paid to deal with that shit, I would say the reaction is appropriate.

There is no reason for everyone to be hating on him for being passive aggressive with a rude guest.

Yeah, missed the whole, he doesn't even work for Spot piece of the puzzle.
It makes things more complicated that's for sure.
Sounds like a TL or an ETL really needed to step up if the lines were really that backed up.
Being passive aggressive in a situation like that was probably the only course of action even if it wasn't the best for the guest.

59651329.jpg

OP: Quick fix for this- don't answer the phone since you aren't qualified to provide adequate guest service for anything but mobile and are not willing to be polite to rude guests. It's not a favor if you can't at least be pleasant.

And just in case you're the mobile team at my store, a reminder: DO answer the phone when the operator asks you to.

It was said and the guest was not rude, he was! The fact that he doesn't technically work for target is irrelevant to the guest because he answered the TARGET phone and that guest has NO Idea what color his shirt is or that he doesn't technically work for target. If you aren't even going to try to help the guest, then don't answer the phone.
Yeah, i wonder sometimes if peopke read the posts before they go into attack mode.
I read it. The more he types the bigger the hole.

You could have gotten someone else. As SOFTLINES I might not know much about electronics. But by god I can try. I have helped a few people find what they are looking for. I can't unlock anything electronics. But I can certainly do anything else asked of me.

Guest calls in. I pick up on first ring, hasn't hit fitting room.

Her: "I just wanted to let you know I've been waiting for eight minutes! I don't think there's anyone in bikes in case you want to fix that!"

Me: "Ma'am, there is one guy covering toys, bikes, seasonal, music, books and video games. He is assisting a guest who has reasonable questions that relate to his job duties. As soon as he's free I will hand him the phone."

Her:" But I've been waiting for eight minutes just to get you! Can't you help me!"

Me: "I really can't. I know nothing about girls bikes. The person who can help is helping a guest and I will give him the phone as soon as possible. Please hold the line." *hit mute*

Very busy electronics guy: "Dana can take that call."

Me: "No. She's waiting."

Everyone, including guests: *laughter*

Better? Something that was not said??? Really? Yes, I "copied random bits" for levity sake, but I did it WORD FOR WORD...it still doesn't change the fact that it's offensive. Assuming that a conversation is going to be "pointless" simply based on someone's age is offensive....saying that one person's questions are more "valid" than another's (when you don't even KNOW the question) is offensive. If he does not get paid to deal with that shit, he shouldn't answer the phone. If someone over exaggerating how long they've been on hold and asking for the person answering the phone to help or saying they didn't think there was anyone in a certain department constitutes being in "full-on bitch mode," I'd LOVE to see what you have to say about the pharmacy guests that call because that's TAME compared to what WE deal with on a daily basis!!!

At a huddle, I once had the team stand silent. Not look at their watch, or the person next to them. For 60 seconds. Seemed like a lot longer to most of them. Then I said this is why you need to be attentive to the guest the moment you see them, even if you are with someone else. Acknowledge their presence.

At a huddle, I once had the team stand silent. Not look at their watch, or the person next to them. For 60 seconds. Seemed like a lot longer to most of them. Then I said this is why you need to be attentive to the guest the moment you see them, even if you are with someone else. Acknowledge their presence.
Our DTL brought up this exact point, but we are supposed to actually HELP the guest within 15 seconds....not just acknowledge, but actually be at the counter HELPING them! Sometimes, that's just not possible. We timed how long it would take to put down an armful of meds (like if we are putting them away) and walk over to the counter...the ONLY way we could do it was throwing them on the counter!

Couple things.

1. After about thirty seconds, I called for backup for the phone call. Needed to vent first.
2. I'm better than nothing which is what guests get when I don't answer the phone.
3. Props to the one person who caught that I work for mobile.
4. She was the straw that broke my spirit that day. Not necessarily the worst guest. Definitely not the worst ever.
5. I'm here to sell phones. Everything I do inside Target is in pursuit of that goal. That's why I answer the phone.
6. Typing this while I walk a woman to backpacks. Point being guest service is a big part of my job, but only to the point that it helps me sell phones. She got my elevator pitch as I showed her to BTS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back