MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

I believe @OtherGuy was not on the team responsible for the Ping/MD4 error. He would just keep us updated on its status. However, I would wager that the team responsible for the sign-on authorization also took hits this "layoff."

That team needs to be burned at the stake. All day today if you let the screen go to sleep you got logged out. What I was going through today. And we get told to stop calling that they know about it. Don't care, we need a estimated fix time..

After it finally came back up and consistent, REDwire was acting weird and I got an actual audible alert for someone signing up for a REDcard, which I've never seen do since the debut of REDwire last year.

After it finally came back up and consistent, REDwire was acting weird and I got an actual audible alert for someone signing up for a REDcard, which I've never seen do since the debut of REDwire last year.
You've NEVER seen that when logged in as GSTL/GSA?

I thought it was a coincidence what happened to otherguy and then all of a sudden the whole system goes down the next day. hmm lol. Yes what a pain! couldnt use the mydevices till around 9 then having to log in everytime the screen went to sleep, and everytime it hit low battery.

It would've been nice to link yesterday's issue to @OtherGuy leaving... but alas systems are always more complex than that. :(

In bittersweet news, it's been decided that I'll be switching departments; so I won't be as active out here as much anymore either.

Love it or hate it, the "myWork" app (and by default "myDevice") is my baby. It was my idea to merge all the apps down to one; nobody thought we could do it. And while stability totally sucks (I agree!), everyone is working super-duper hard on that every single day. It's now our 2nd biggest focus behind POS.

I've heard people say that we built a Ferrari; we just didn't hand over the keys (referring to all the WiFi and logon issues). Upon visiting our earliest pilot stores, I always said "myDevice is about as stable as Lindsey Lohan"... and I'm pleased to say that those who didn't listen are no longer with Target. So; I think our future is much brighter.

Lastly, I'll share the final (albeit minor) enhancements that OtherGuy & I were working on that you should notice before Black Friday. They are...

1) We enlarged several buttons so they're easier to hit when working fast. (This was OtherGuy's idea).

2) We added a "number keypad" icon (next to the "Search" icon at the top) which will make typing DPCIs and UPCs much easier. (A great idea from T1095)

3) We added an "edit previous search" feature so if you search for "chair" you don't have to re-type the whole damn word to search for "chairS". (A great idea screamed at me during a happy hour with a friend who was just getting off work) :)

Though these enhancements aren't as great as being able to log in consistently, pulling a batch, or checking out a guest... consider these as trinket parting gifts (as they're the best we could do before Black Friday).

As I learn more I'll share more.

Last edited:
It would've been nice to link yesterday's issue to @OtherGuy leaving... but alas systems are always more complex than that. :(

In bittersweet news, it's been decided that I'll be switching departments; so I won't be as active out here as much anymore either.

Love it or hate it, the "myWork" app (and by default "myDevice") is my baby. It was my idea to merge all the apps down to one; nobody thought we could do it. And while stability totally sucks (I agree!), everyone is working super-duper hard on that every single day. It's now our 2nd biggest focus behind POS.

I've heard people say that we built a Ferrari; we just didn't hand over the keys (referring to all the WiFi and logon issues). Upon visiting our earliest pilot stores, I always said "myDevice is about as stable as Lindsey Lohan"... and I'm pleased to say that those who didn't listen are no longer with Target. So; I think our future is much brighter.

Lastly, I'll share the final (albeit minor) enhancements that OtherGuy & I were working on that you should notice before Black Friday. They are...

1) We enlarged several buttons so they're easier to hit when working fast. (This was OtherGuy's idea).

2) We added a "number keypad" icon (next to the "Search" icon at the top) which will make typing DPCIs and UPCs much easier. (A great idea from T1095)

3) We added an "edit previous search" feature so if you search for "chair" you don't have to re-type the whole damn word to search for "chairS". (A great idea screamed at me during a happy hour with a friend who was just getting off work) :)

Though these enhancements aren't as great as being able to log in consistently, pulling a batch, or checking out a guest... consider these as trinket parting gifts (as they're the best we could do before Black Friday).

As I learn more I'll share more.

Please put a bug in someone's ear to allow the search to search based on a mis-spelled word. Like with Google.. Did you mean "??" The above search edit will help, but this would too.

I'm still not convinced that using a consumer product to perform as an industrial device was the best way to go. I've been impressed and happy with most of the advances in the myDevice and myWork app, however, the log-in situation with Ping, and some other quirks with the Touch and the app, dampens my enthusiasm for both. Even with future improvements, I find the speed of the myDevice frustrating. I had to do some massive back stocking recently and started with the myDevice. The lag time was noticeable. Of course, the battery ran down on it and I switched to a PDA. What a difference. I was much more productive with the PDA. As of this point, I don't see how the backroom team could use myDevices to pull Autos and CAFs and meet their goal times if the speed of them is not greatly improved. Here's hoping it can be done.

Finally, to @UIguy, thank you for your efforts to establish and improve the myDevice and myWork app. Having worked at the headquarters of a retail chain I know how clueless some individuals at corporate can be. You can really wonder how some of these people got their positions. And, just like at the store level, when positions are cut, it isn't easy to do your own core roles while picking up the roles of those no longer there. I'm sure it is difficult to walk away from what was, in part, your baby, but I hope your new role is satisfying and successful, and wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Please put a bug in someone's ear to allow the search to search based on a mis-spelled word. Like with Google.. Did you mean "??" The above search edit will help, but this would too.
I know; I totally agree with you - we've looked into that. Unfortunately, our group doesn't control the search logic - it uses the same logic that the PDAs use in item search. Either way, I'll put in the request to look at it again. In addition to this, I've got a list of about 40 other enhancement requests that should keep the team busy into next year. :)

I'm still not convinced that using a consumer product to perform as an industrial device was the best way to go. I've been impressed and happy with most of the advances in the myDevice and myWork app, however, the log-in situation with Ping, and some other quirks with the Touch and the app, dampens my enthusiasm for both. Even with future improvements, I find the speed of the myDevice frustrating. I had to due some massive back stocking recently and started with the myDevice. The lag time was noticeable. Of course, the battery ran down on it and I switched to a PDA. What a difference. I was much more productive with the PDA. As of this point, I don't see how the backroom team could use myDevices to pull Autos and CAFs and meet their goal times if the speed of them is not greatly improved. Here's hoping it can be done.

Finally, to @UIguy, thank you for your efforts to establish and improve the myDevice and myWork app. Having worked at the headquarters of a retail chain I know how clueless some individuals at corporate can be. You can really wonder how some of these people got their positions. And, just like at the store level, when positions are cut, it isn't easy to do your own core roles while picking up the roles of those no longer there. I'm sure it is difficult to walk away from what was, in part, your baby, but I hope your new role is satisfying and successful, and wish you all the best.

I agree with you on all aspects here. While the true originators of myDevice (like 5 years ago) aren't with Target anymore, I'd love to go back and ask them (knowing all we know now) if they'd change their request at all. One really nice thing about consumer products is that they're damn cheap compared to a PDA. Companies aren't making millions of PDAs they way they are iPods/iPhones/Androids. If we could one day get to a point where you could just use your own iPod/iPhone/Android (or even buy a few some off the sales floor), I feel like equipment availability issues would vanish. Oh well; that's a pipe dream.

As far as speed and reliability goes, it was a perfect storm from the get go (starting with the data breach in 2013). Security concerns swung to an extremist position while myDevice was crafting its foundation. Because of that and more, it never stood a chance to be as fast, convenient, and reliable as the old equipment. (For example, I still don't understand why you need your eHR password to log onto the thing; but whatever). That said, there's a group fiercely focused on trying to make myDevice as fast, trusty and convenient as the PDAs. I believe they'll succeed. As for the battery life... how a swappable auxiliary battery wasn't part of the final hardware design is beyond me. My hunch is that something like that will be on the way eventually. Many people don't understand that store equipment rarely sits on a charger - rather it's in use 24 hours a day in many stores. :)

I've been holding off posting here for a number of reasons, mainly because I haven't been working with the product so my only input is how much I appreciate the work
@UIguy and @OtherGuy have done.
Considering the current situation that would mean the post wouldn't be very positive.
So I waited a bit.

Here's the top.
Cutting off the head is a decent analogy but I think a better (and more graphic ) one is a lobotomy.
Spot is plunging an ice pick into its eye and wiggling it around to wipe out the part of its brain that does the most good.
Reading UIguy's post about how the people who made the original plan to purchase the myDevice being gone is just boggling.
People say they want government to run like a business?
Fuck that.
We had to change computer systems because the last of the team that set up the last one retired last year.
If something went wrong the people who set it up were always there to call personally.
We knew by name who to insult when it went down which after a while wasn't that often.

Here's the important part.

Thank you both.
Coming here made a difference.
It meant a lot to everyone, even the folks who didn't work with the Devices that much, even those of us who weren't with the company anymore.
It meant that there were still parts of corporate that cared about what the people on the ground were going through.
You balanced out a lot of the bullshit from above.
I know you will find a place that will treat you better.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for all the appreciation; how 'bout I try to bring the mood up a touch... Though I'm leaving myDevice, I'll keep working on store systems and check in here periodically. Over the next few weeks, I'll find someone to actively participate here as OtherGuy and I have tried in the past. While OtherGuy's departure feels like an awful mistake, not all the departures at HQ will be as sorely felt - if you catch my drift.

For what it's worth, my intuition says Target tech is finally pointed in a better direction after several years of debauchery. Very soon, there'll be less corporate bureaucracy and more accountability; you'll know who to call again. :) For now, keep being honest about what you love/hate about myDevice here and we'll keep trying to do something about it. Thanks again for all the support and feedback... keep it coming!

Well, thanks for all the appreciation; how 'bout I try to bring the mood up a touch... Though I'm leaving myDevice, I'll keep working on store systems and check in here periodically. Over the next few weeks, I'll find someone to actively participate here as OtherGuy and I have tried in the past. While OtherGuy's departure feels like an awful mistake, not all the departures at HQ will be as sorely felt - if you catch my drift.

I honestly don't know why it wasn't part of someone's job on the MyDevice team to come here and talk with people. I know the big corporate people don't like this site but when you're designing tech, user input is key. I'm glad you're trying to get someone new here :D

Seriously, I spend one week off the grid and I come back to find out OtherGuy's been laid off and UIguy's been reassigned? What manner of bullshittery is this?

@OtherGuy, thank you so much for everything you've done for us. Having you on TBR has been far more effective than attempting to send communications "up the chain," considering how embarrassingly awful communication is in stores and how out of touch the HQ leaders are. You've been a huge help to us, and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

@UIguy, thank you also for your hard work on MyWork. Please continue to keep us in the know about what's going on with store technology; even if you're not involved with the MyDevices, surely whatever you're working on affects us in some way.

I'm going to send some E-Mails, but I'll ask here, too.

Does Target have any public API's? Out of boredom, I had a few ideas for some stuff to make my life easier. I've went around it before, using the Target.com website and automating some routines, but I'm hoping for a cleaner solution. I cannot find any solution through publicly available channels, so I just wanted to see.

If there aren't any, I hope the team would consider creating one. Your Cartwheel app uses some form of an API, so it wouldn't be that hard to make it publicly available. You'd increase interest in Target's products by allowing other apps to search and check availability easily. Yes, it's possible through scraping, but again, I'm hoping there's a better way.

I'm going to send some E-Mails, but I'll ask here, too.

Does Target have any public API's? Out of boredom, I had a few ideas for some stuff to make my life easier. I've went around it before, using the Target.com website and automating some routines, but I'm hoping for a cleaner solution. I cannot find any solution through publicly available channels, so I just wanted to see.

If there aren't any, I hope the team would consider creating one. Your Cartwheel app uses some form of an API, so it wouldn't be that hard to make it publicly available. You'd increase interest in Target's products by allowing other apps to search and check availability easily. Yes, it's possible through scraping, but again, I'm hoping there's a better way.

It's not really public, but if you're an employee you can always try and sign up, not sure on the rules: Target Developer Portal | home

It's not really public, but if you're an employee you can always try and sign up, not sure on the rules: Target Developer Portal | home
That's really neat but they obviously don't want TMs from stores to access the dev portal:
400f2f6361.png

Back