MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

LPDAs are rumored to be on the way out during bounceback. PDAs will be around for a while, but stores may have their device count reduced. Theoretically, only TMs whose roles require a PDA will need them.
That being said, one of my fellow price change TMs was spotted with a PDA recently with a sketchy reason as to why she had it. We think she is secretly using it to scan softlines when we aren't looking. Ranks right up there with our PTL "checking" workload on a PDA and then remembering that doing so activates balloon audits. Nothing like activating 100s of price cut labels that are already up.

In my store, price change gets to use a PDA, still. They get em, backroom does and I think instocks does. I'm not sure if instocks is officially allowed or if they're just getting them anyway.
My store is using for price changes, despite the fact any workload completed on them does not figure into your score on MyPerformance or least in a positive way.

Today I was helping to complete the price changes, so that team could leave at a decent time and kept getting the following a weird error message. I wished I had copied it down. I should have just went and got a battery for my LPDA.

I think they are really cool. but I think they look too much like a phone. I have had guests come up to me when I was using the Mydevice and say "stop using your phone and help us"

This is a reason why I make it obvious to anybody who I help that the MyDevice is equipment from Target. They ask if we have something in the back, I very explicitly say "Let me just check on our new PDAs"

Sure it kinda sounds goofy but it's something that I can do to spread information that THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL PERSONAL PHONES.
That's not a bad idea! I will definitely try this. :)

I think they are really cool. but I think they look too much like a phone. I have had guests come up to me when I was using the Mydevice and say "stop using your phone and help us"

This is a reason why I make it obvious to anybody who I help that the MyDevice is equipment from Target. They ask if we have something in the back, I very explicitly say "Let me just check on our new PDAs"

Sure it kinda sounds goofy but it's something that I can do to spread information that THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL PERSONAL PHONES.
Yeah I've had several guests say are those phones? Had one guest say that's some strong protection you have on your phone. Then I point out it has a scanner. Then they are like, oh I didn't even see the scanner!

While mydevices do look like phones, I actually use my personal phone sometimes to help the guest. It has more information like online availability, store phone numbers, images, different styles and colors, etc. and it makes it a lot easier to look up missing DPCIs.

While mydevices do look like phones, I actually use my personal phone sometimes to help the guest. It has more information like online availability, store phone numbers, images, different styles and colors, etc. and it makes it a lot easier to look up missing DPCIs.
On the iPods you can use the target app to get that same info, no need to drain your battery for no reason.

On the iPods you can use the target app to get that same info, no need to drain your battery for no reason.
Right, but when I use regular PDAs I occasionally pull my phone out to get more info. I use the target app on the mydevices.

I like that the Mydevice usually drops a fill in when you tie a pog or revision in.

I say usually because I have had at least 5 instances where it doesn't. It will say, "Tied. If a pull is needed, add one now."

But you can't drop in a whole fill in for a whole aisle without a PDA. Right?

Because on sacred twt, there better be a fill in.

I like that the Mydevice usually drops a fill in when you tie a pog or revision in.

I say usually because I have had at least 5 instances where it doesn't. It will say, "Tied. If a pull is needed, add one now."

Its supposed to create a fill batch for the whole pog. One downside to that, is if the pog is a carry-forward salesplan. I use the pda for those, and do not make a batch.

Its supposed to create a fill batch for the whole pog. One downside to that, is if the pog is a carry-forward salesplan. I use the pda for those, and do not make a batch.

I know it's supposed to. But it doesn't always. And you can't do an outs pull with it either. And my etl and tl say we have to do an outs fill after we set and push our pog.

So there are two instances where I need a PDA instead of the mydevice.

Abd, you can't pull stuff for guests. I have to search for someone with a PDA.

Lots if wasted time looking for equipment.

The problem with outs per se, is that when you opt to "fill from stockroom", the system thinks you are scanning the home location only. With PDA/LPDA research you have to choose which pog you want filled. Hopefully they add in which pog you are wanting to fill.

There was a RedWire in the system today had to dig through and find it... Says the week of 1/18 the update is hitting stores, with a store specific list attached. Exactly what does the update entail? Says more information as the update comes closer.... hah
If the info that other TMs have posted is correct, then the update the week of the 18 should include the ability to backstock and pull items from the Backroom and also I believe QMOS.

We're getting SUBT, STO, and QMOS before the 18th. Next week I have to update MyWork on all the iPods.

There was a RedWire in the system today had to dig through and find it... Says the week of 1/18 the update is hitting stores, with a store specific list attached. Exactly what does the update entail? Says more information as the update comes closer.... hah
If the info that other TMs have posted is correct, then the update the week of the 18 should include the ability to backstock and pull items from the Backroom and also I believe QMOS.

We're getting SUBT, STO, and QMOS before the 18th. Next week I have to update MyWork on all the iPods.
Yeah different stores at different times/day. Some stores already have the update. Wee have to wait two more weeks... :(

So it looks like there's been a soft update for the mydevices (at least at my store)
  • Street dated items now have the street date posted above the price point
    • Having the street dates listed makes it much easier to cover new release price points and flex over them until they come out. It will hopefully reduce the amount of street dated items from finding their way to the floor before release. This is something that can't be done on a PDA as far as I know. I used to use price scanners to see if it popped up item not found for street dates. I got tired of getting called by the GSA when scanning items on the register.
  • POG printer batches (header, price change, peghooks, etc.) are now added to a batch when POGs are tied.
    • Having the POG headers print is great because tying POGs on the mydevice is much faster than the PDA (when it drops the POG at the same time). The fact that up until last week a printer batch didn't appear meant I had to manually print all the POG headers and price changes. The one caveat it's only doing one POG per batch so if you tie 20 pogs you will wind up with 20 batches. It's a pretty significant waste of paper when a 30 label page only prints a header and a couple price changes. It's also time consuming to print the 20 batches individually. Yes, you cant select multiple batches to print but they still print individually. Still, this is a step in the right direction, even if it needs a bit of polishing.
  • Future ad prices appear above the price point with the date for when it's valid (you have to click on it to see the ad)
    • Seeing the future promos is pretty neat too, though I was initially confused when working out reshop on Saturday and I saw buy one get one promo listed on some DVDs. It took me a bit to notice the effective date. I would rather it only pop up when I clicked on the item name or click on the price point so I'm not seeing a promotion that isn't live yet.
There are still some bugs with the mydevices that prevent me from only using it, mainly the scanner not always working when waking the mydevice up and some of the mydevices are unable to scan books (both the UPC on the book and the bar code on the label strip).
There really should be another layer for signing and scanning outs (like the research and price change layers). When doing anything in a large amount be it label printing, sign audits, or scanning outs, the PDA is much more time effective. There really needs to be
  1. A signing layer that would automatically add a sign to a batch when a scanned item is on sale/promo (ideally items getting scanned don't already have signs posted
  2. An outs layer that performed just like the outs on the PDA
  3. A label printing layer that would perform like label printing does on the PDA so labels can be printed with schematics, missing labels could be printed, or generic labels could be printed in mass.

From a Salesfloor standpoint, I think the mydevices are working a lot better than when I started (not kicking me out every 15 minutes mainly.) I've discovered that they are actually much more resistant to drops/cracks than one would think, although it drops with a loud THUD. I could fix this problem by not dropping it as much. Some things I think it could use:
  • SUBT/STO/QMOS whenever that update comes out for my store.
  • An "other colors/sizes" option like in Merch Locate on a register.
  • It would be nice to be able to view the thumbnail pictures that display in search view, on the item's info page, but bigger.
  • Some text or a symbol next to an items price that specifies whether or not it needs some form of merch protect, however since that may vary by store to store, I'd imagine it's more difficult to roll out.
  • Integrated alerts for specialized TMs beyond GSTL/GSA and Flex Fulfillment. An example would be if a guest hits the button for Photo lab, an alert is sent to the mydevices of anyone logged in as Photo TM as well as the walkie announcement. My TPS has said it would be useful if any camera alarms he has set up would alert to his mydevice so he can check it out if they are triggered.
  • A Store Information page that can be edited by store, listing phone extensions, useful locations for things, codes for TSC/fitting rooms/photo kiosks to help TMs be more useful and have more information available to them. As long as they're signed in to myWork to prevent any random guest from seeing it.
I think the mydevices do well in that everything is under one roof in one app, it's much easier than RFApps and toggling back and forth. If the other issues get sorted (reliable wifi and the scanner derping) I think the mydevices can be (and already are) a very powerful tool.

Last edited:
Can't you view other colors and sizes in the Target app? Even if it's a separate app, it's still more than we had on the PDAs.

This is true although sometimes the myWork names and the tgt app names are different so I have trouble translating the two.

True. If you can find the DPCI in the Target app, you should be able to copy and paste it into MyWork.

Can't you view other colors and sizes in the Target app? Even if it's a separate app, it's still more than we had on the PDAs.

This is true although sometimes the myWork names and the tgt app names are different so I have trouble translating the two.

True. If you can find the DPCI in the Target app, you should be able to copy and paste it into MyWork.
I don't think they have Copy and Paste on the myWork app. Unless it has been enabled. I usually end up having to memorize the DPCI.

I don't think they have Copy and Paste on the myWork app. Unless it has been enabled. I usually end up having to memorize the DPCI.

That's what I do too, but only because I'm good with numbers. :D

I just don't get it. Why not combine the functions of both apps? There's no reason to add an extra step. On the bright side, iPhone apps are really easy to update if they want to make changes/improvements.

I just don't get it. Why not combine the functions of both apps? There's no reason to add an extra step. On the bright side, iPhone apps are really easy to update if they want to make changes/improvements.

Because that would make sense. Don't forget, this is Target we're talking about.

Back