MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

that's odd considering how research isn't on the PDAs anymore, how are we supposed to update

I wish I had an answer but its possible that I only try it on problem items or because I always try to raise the numbers on stuff that accidently got wiped down to zero. Most of my research scans are because I want to sweep something back to the DC but our on-hands are too low for me to do so.

Quick question.

How long does it take for an item to be zeroed out after researching on MyDevice?
It's supposed to be 20 min for any kind of count change, as in zeroing out or adding counts, being defected out, being sold. I read it somewhere on workbench.

My question on the MyDevice is,,, why does it only give you a "fill group" aisle assignment etc if there is already at least 1 of that item stowed? Still learning where everything goes, it would be a tremendous help if it would at least give me a fill group, so I would be able to get it in the right aisle.

Are you asking that it only shows the Fill Group for the item if there is something back there? If so that has been fixed in the upcoming update that your store may not have gotten YET. As far as I know it's still rolling out to stores. So now it shows the Fill Group for everything.

The roll out just finished this morning, everyone should now have version 25.66, so this should be working for everyone now.

How long does it take for an item to be zeroed out after researching on MyDevice?

It's supposed to be 20 min for any kind of count change, as in zeroing out or adding counts, being defected out, being sold. I read it somewhere on workbench.

It's an overnight process for on hands to update. Though there are many filters which may stop the counts from updating, one of which being the drastic count where if the count change is "drastic" it will show up on the drastic count report the next day which then the count will have to be re-verified before it is updated over night on the second day.

Well that's how Best Practices wanted it to be done in RF. Backstock first & then SUBT9999 so it wouldn't cause errors, which as far as I know it never did. Though it's very debatable... http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/subt9999-question.6535/
Since they continue to refuse to find time to actually train me for br, my training comes from the old pa who learned just enough to get through backstocking truck, plus what I've gleaned over the years. It's not that I'm not concerned about errors, but when the same brtm continues to cause tons of unlocated product I don't care if just subt makes an error. I get tired of backstocking dozens of items across the coolers every time I work.

Since they continue to refuse to find time to actually train me for br, my training comes from the old pa who learned just enough to get through backstocking truck, plus what I've gleaned over the years. It's not that I'm not concerned about errors, but when the same brtm continues to cause tons of unlocated product I don't care if just subt makes an error. I get tired of backstocking dozens of items across the coolers every time I work.

That does sound frustrating, any item that is in the backroom should have a location, it sounds like some TMs are taking shortcuts to save themselves a little time now, but causing bigger headaches down the road. These shortcuts can really cause issues with replenishment from the DC and to the sales floor. I'd suggest talking with your leaders to ensure all TMs are following best practice of locating items in the backroom.

That does sound frustrating, any item that is in the backroom should have a location, it sounds like some TMs are taking shortcuts to save themselves a little time now, but causing bigger headaches down the road. These shortcuts can really cause issues with replenishment from the DC and to the sales floor. I'd suggest talking with your leaders to ensure all TMs are following best practice of locating items in the backroom.
At least every other week, complete with br reports showing who touched items/locations last and pull times. We've taken in a bunch of boneheads from a store close to us and they brought their crappy br habits with them. They were ulv and I believe we are lv. But it adds up quick since they aren't doing things how we are used to, and nobody ever gives ultimatums or consequences for not fixing bad habits.

A moment ago - NitroKing2110: Item search and mydevice search sucks. Why it can't be the target app search and not "register description" search is beyond me

A moment ago - NitroKing2110: Typed in threshold towel and got 0 results, had to type thr towel

From chat tonight.

@UIguy idk if there's anything that can be done about this? It is kinda annoying...

Threshold towel is the brand which covers 3 aisles in domestics. You could of looked at the ism signing in towels, item search does have some weaknesses. You can use the safari option for finding stuff too.

Item search is just as bad on the ipod as it is on the pda. You have to spell it exactly right or you wont get any of the correct results. I mean even google knows how to correct spelling why cant these. And as someone said above, you have to abbreviate things to exactly how they come up when you scan them.

i'm too lazy to read through all 70 other pages so i'll just ask assuming it hasn't been asked...

does anyone else have issues with the stupid things not scanning??? on saturday i went through 4 devices before i found one that would scan.

also, anyone else have issues with the stupid target app crashing? at guest service i try to use that to help guests and the app is full of issues it seems.

and this is why GSTLs have the rep they have.

ETA: OK that was harsh, but as GSTLs we are the best at troubleshooting broken stuff - registers, card readers, scanners, guests. Why would you not try to troubleshoot instead of playing the "Oh, I'm just a little girl who can't figure stuff out."

Last edited:
@OtherGuy @UIguy
I mentioned this before.. but I don't recall a response, sorry if you did.. is there anything in the works for price change? My store is trying to force us to use the mydevice but it just seems so slow to mark anything clearance.

Also:
Is there a way you could sort the tasks to be done by Block

A - 150 (tap and it expands to show you)
A1 - 25
A2 - 25
A3 - 25

ive never tried scanning softlines with one.. but when you scan an item, it should automatically print a sticker, and then ask you to key in qty.. if you only need one it should let you scan the next item and not have to hit "1"

and this is why GSTLs have the rep they have.

ETA: OK that was harsh, but as GSTLs we are the best at troubleshooting broken stuff - registers, card readers, scanners, guests. Why would you not try to troubleshoot instead of playing the "Oh, I'm just a little girl who can't figure stuff out."
I mean it's been discussed oh 2,345 times in this thread. Might as well have it on every page.

@OtherGuy @UIguy
I mentioned this before.. but I don't recall a response, sorry if you did.. is there anything in the works for price change? My store is trying to force us to use the mydevice but it just seems so slow to mark anything clearance.

Also:
Is there a way you could sort the tasks to be done by Block

A - 150 (tap and it expands to show you)
A1 - 25
A2 - 25
A3 - 25

ive never tried scanning softlines with one.. but when you scan an item, it should automatically print a sticker, and then ask you to key in qty.. if you only need one it should let you scan the next item and not have to hit "1"
Yes, there's some new functionality coming there (to speed up price change) but for now, you can enter "auto print mode" by tapping the blue "i" button next to Price Change within the profile menu.

Quick question @UIguy and/or @OtherGuy do you guys do anything with the applications on the PDAs or just the myDevices? I was just wondering what will become of those. What will be removed next. I also heard everything going to web apps and RF to be retired.

Last edited:
We have those huge dinosaur PDAs so bulky. But I love the new MyDevice. I do every Sunday the softline signing by myself -.-. And the signs are so vague so honestly I don't know what some items are so I use the target app on the my device and it finds the product so I know what that item looks like. I just hate it when the scanner isn't working -.-

it just seems so slow to mark anything clearance.

The problem, in my opinion, is that the myDevice is not as good as "queuing" items like the PDA was. And there are certain areas where you need to be able to just "scan scan scan" and then just see what spits out. Like softlines.

There needs to be a queue option for when the TM is going to be doing a large rack of cloths or a very messy CLR endcap. I've noticed that when you print a multi-item sign, the myDevice responds very quickly to adding the item to a kind of "multi-sign queue"...why can't there be something similar for price change?

How I imagine the work process

Team member in "Price Change" app
TM has a very messy CLR rack to go through.
TM hits "Queue Price Change Items"
TM then scans 20 items
TM then hits "Process" on the myDevice
myDevices thinks and spits out the 5 or so labels(defaults to QTY of 1 per DPCI).
TM then tickets
Goes on to the next 20 items

The whole "Scan an item, input quantity" works nicely when the area the TM is scanning is nicely zoned, or in hardlines when you can quickly count how many tickets you have. But when you have a rack in softlines that has 40 DPCI's because each size of clothing is a different DPCI...it makes it very time consuming to scan a shirt, hit 1, hit print. Scan the next size shirt, hit 1, hit print. Scan the next size shirt, hit 1, hit print. Etc. Etc.

This is probably the number one complaint my Price Change team members have about the myDevice. They don't mind it in Hardlines/Market. But it's a pain in Softlines.

Yes softlines is horrible for price change! We have been using strictly the mydevices for the last couple months and I cant tell you how much I hate them for softlines. I love how in hardlines you can scan anything, anytime and dont have to be under a specific aisle, or department. And as for autoprint, yes it will auto print you a ticket but you cant enter a quantity also! Like they said, I wish you could scan it, and it would print a ticket, and you still have the option to enter how many tickets you want, and if you don't need anymore than one you should be able to just scan the next item. Would make things way quicker.

Yes softlines is horrible for price change! We have been using strictly the mydevices for the last couple months and I cant tell you how much I hate them for softlines. I love how in hardlines you can scan anything, anytime and dont have to be under a specific aisle, or department. And as for autoprint, yes it will auto print you a ticket but you cant enter a quantity also! Like they said, I wish you could scan it, and it would print a ticket, and you still have the option to enter how many tickets you want, and if you don't need anymore than one you should be able to just scan the next item. Would make things way quicker.
This is one of the enhancements coming... So you'll be able to auto print & enter quantity. The screen will say, "How many more tickets?", or you can just scan the next item (or hit cancel to get to the main screen). As for the queuing thing, the development team is working on this too.

Back