MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Currently there is nothing slated for defectives to be on MyDevice, as I understand the service desk should be able to use the POS for what they need, though I am curious about what you are doing when you're auditing defectives? From everything I can tell looking at the documentation defectives audit doesn't give you any more info than you could get by just reading the text on the label and there are no actions you can take on the PDA. Is there a process that goes along with this or something you can't see on the label? It's also very possible the documentation I have is outdated, hence my confusion.
While most of the current Service Desk TMs don't use the defective audits that often, it is a good tool to use to increase your accuracy. I like to audit certain salvage defectives using the defective audit function, because the POS doesn't always tell you it's hazardous. If it is hazardous, the PDA beeps at you after you scan the item and it says *hazardous* underneath the label info on the screen. In that case, I will know to bag and ziptie the item for safety.

Also, say you defected an item in return mode, but ended up voiding the transaction and redoing the return because the guest wanted it in cash instead of credit card for instance. Now there are two labels for one item. How do you tell which one is valid? Audit the labels. It will tell you which one is good, and which one you can pitch.

Now say you defected an item, but you realized shortly after that it was perfectly fine. If you remove the label without voiding it, it will mess up inventory. There is a function in defectives that will let you void certain labels that you make in Sort Stuff. Otherwise, you would have to let that item stay defective, even if it wasn't.

Question for the development team.... Is there a way to make the screen go from portrait to landscape so the buttons you have to touch get bigger? I was helping another team member learn the my device and she was struggling to log in because she was having a hard time hitting the small letter/number squares. She's been with target for many years and wants to learn the new equipment but this was somewhat frustrating. Most smart phones these days will flip and rotate the screen with the movement of the device thus making the picture bigger/wider. Is it possible to get this on the my device so that people having difficulty with small squares will have an easier time? Thanks! :)

I noticed today that the option to print entertainment browser 3x5 signs is no longer available on the mydevice. It used to do it automatically when selecting 3x5 on any CD that wasn't on sale but it only prints generic 3x5 signs and there is no option to print browser signs under see all options.

I noticed today that the option to print entertainment browser 3x5 signs is no longer available on the mydevice. It used to do it automatically when selecting 3x5 on any CD that wasn't on sale but it only prints generic 3x5 signs and there is no option to print browser signs under see all options.

Wait, your store actually maintains the browser?

Alerts via RedWire are actually controlled through a separate program owned by an outside vendor. I've been seeing reports of stores experiencing "outages" where the application needed some work to restore service. If you're experiencing issues where alerts aren't physically going on, please call it in to the CSC and have them escalate it up.

We're currently in the process of preparing the first POC store for fiber optics with AT&T which should speed things up considerably pending results for all devices (STO delay, Item Search, etc.) I don't have a extended scope list yet for the future stores as installation sites. Overall network performance will be aligning to what we've been trying to get at for the past several years as the applications become more hungry for resources.
This is great news. What is POC? What is the number for CSC?

Individual batches for pog ties are a huge waste of label paper, but I can't skip them because they contain price changes on revisions. I end up wasting about 20 sheets worth of sticky labels when printing my batches because the majority of them are just the POG header. When using SFLM all the POGs tied in the same session were in a single batch. As far as I know there is no way to merge all the batches so I spend 10 minutes or more bashing F2 and enter on the keyboard to print every individual batch. Using the portable printer for just the POG headers would be ok, but they look terrible for price changes.
Are they actually sticky labels? I guess I have only seen the paper strips. Anyway, can you check out posts 1499 and 1500 on page 75 and tell me if that solves your issue?

So PDAs are done right? Is the transition next week? I saw a notice on the door to the equipment room about PDAs being phased out. I really hope it doesn't happen on a Saturday or Sunday. The CAF batches are ridiculous on Saturday and Sunday. I want to slap the person that removed SUBT from RF apps.

The 9200 models will stick around (the gun that has the cross hair)

Having the option to 'defect' items with the PDA would be helpful to simplify and hasten some Service Desk responsibilities, and it seems like it could be an easily added feature, as items seem to have a grayed out 'Use Defectives' button where the Toss button usually is. If we were able to 'defect' the item and print a label to the connected printer with that button, it would speed things up behind the SD.

As another note, while I realize myFA will take some time to port to the myDevice, would there be a way to get the iPad myGo app onto the handheld myDevice?

I actually worked quite a bit on defectives, but it ended up being a choice by the process owner to not add it to myDevice. They wanted it to be done on the POS by the service desk or done by reverse logistics. I believe the instructions are to bring the defective item to reverse logistics or the service desk to defect out.

myGo on myDevice is in very early planning phases right now, so no ETA on it just yet.

@OtherGuy, is there a way to delete labels from a batch before closing it? For example, say I needed to print missing labels from a POG, but I didn't need to print the entire POG because that would waste label paper. I didn't see an option to delete, and it wouldn't let me change the quantity to 0.

I just checked, you're correct there isn't a way to delete. I'll talk with my other TM on this. If we do implement it, it will function like fill where you can swipe left to delete.

Is there a time frame for this new update? Like will it be released this month, next week? Right now pricing is more efficient on a pda but with this update I could see our pricing TMs not throwing a BF about using the mydevices..

I'm hoping the update comes before they take our pdas away.. there are only like 5 9200 pdas and our BR TL already hordes them and I have to take them from his desk and replace it with a semi-working one.. :)

Rollout is 5/4-5/15

While most of the current Service Desk TMs don't use the defective audits that often, it is a good tool to use to increase your accuracy. I like to audit certain salvage defectives using the defective audit function, because the POS doesn't always tell you it's hazardous. If it is hazardous, the PDA beeps at you after you scan the item and it says *hazardous* underneath the label info on the screen. In that case, I will know to bag and ziptie the item for safety.

Also, say you defected an item in return mode, but ended up voiding the transaction and redoing the return because the guest wanted it in cash instead of credit card for instance. Now there are two labels for one item. How do you tell which one is valid? Audit the labels. It will tell you which one is good, and which one you can pitch.

Now say you defected an item, but you realized shortly after that it was perfectly fine. If you remove the label without voiding it, it will mess up inventory. There is a function in defectives that will let you void certain labels that you make in Sort Stuff. Otherwise, you would have to let that item stay defective, even if it wasn't.
Aren't there some symbols on the label that signifies they are hazardous?

Can you not do those last 2 functions on the POS?
Question for the development team.... Is there a way to make the screen go from portrait to landscape so the buttons you have to touch get bigger? I was helping another team member learn the my device and she was struggling to log in because she was having a hard time hitting the small letter/number squares.
We are working on this for the login screen.

This is great news. What is POC? What is the number for CSC?

Proof Of Concept

612-304-HELP (4357)

Last edited:
We're currently in the process of preparing the first POC store for fiber optics with AT&T which should speed things up considerably pending results for all devices (STO delay, Item Search, etc.) I don't have a extended scope list yet for the future stores as installation sites. Overall network performance will be aligning to what we've been trying to get at for the past several years as the applications become more hungry for resources.

PLEASE LET MY STORE HAVE A FASTER NETWORK.

Is this something that may be looked at for all locations if it's a success? Or would it depend on whether or not the AT&T fiber optic service is available in the surrounding area? (The city where I live doesn't even have Verizon FiOs, and I didn't know AT&T had a fiber optic service.)

I just checked, you're correct there isn't a way to delete. I'll talk with my other TM on this. If we do implement it, it will function like fill where you can swipe left to delete.

Awesome, thank you.

Aren't there some symbols on the label that signifies they are hazardous?

If POS sends the item to special handling, then yes. If it gets sent to salvage, there is no such indicator.

@COninja, why are hazardous materials being sent to salvage rather than special handling?

Can you not do those last 2 functions on the POS?

Nope. We can only defect out items on the POS. Back in the days of license plates, you had to use RF Apps > LPA to audit/void defectives; now you can only use the Defectives app in WebApps.

Awesome, thank you.

If POS sends the item to special handling, then yes. If it gets sent to salvage, there is no such indicator.

@COninja, why are hazardous materials being sent to salvage rather than special handling?

Nope. We can only defect out items on the POS. Back in the days of license plates, you had to use RF Apps > LPA to audit/void defectives; now you can only use the Defectives app in WebApps.

At the POS, it allows you to determine if you want to send the item to salvage or special handling. If there isn't much wrong with it, we send it to salvage, otherwise we select the option to ESIM it. There isn't any need for the pda, at my store for this stuff. Well, it would be nice to void defectives, but I figure if they don't want it voided, out it can go.

I suspect the stores are saving a ton of money by having us salvage stuff we can and having Goodwill buy it instead of sending immediately to ESIM and having to pay to get rid of it.

At the POS, it allows you to determine if you want to send the item to salvage or special handling. If there isn't much wrong with it, we send it to salvage, otherwise we select the option to ESIM it. There isn't any need for the pda, at my store for this stuff. Well, it would be nice to void defectives, but I figure if they don't want it voided, out it can go.

I suspect the stores are saving a ton of money by having us salvage stuff we can and having Goodwill buy it instead of sending immediately to ESIM and having to pay to get rid of it.

Are you talking about the prompt that asks if the item is leaking, has a broken cap, etc.?

@mrknownothing

Sometimes when I audit a green salvage it will beep like it's hazardous. I don't do SD too much anymore, but it does happen from time to time when I audit items like makeup and battery operated items.

Are you talking about the prompt that asks if the item is leaking, has a broken cap, etc.?

Yes. If you tell it nothing is leaking, it goes salvage, but if you tell it the product is leaking, it will send it to ESIM. Whoever defects it just needs to do it properly the first time and you won't have to waste time auditing it.

@mrknownothing

Sometimes when I audit a green salvage it will beep like it's hazardous. I don't do SD too much anymore, but it does happen from time to time when I audit items like makeup and battery operated items.

It doesn't matter if green salvage is hazardous. Green salvage isn't being thrown away by Target...the box is sold to Goodwill.

So to get back on track with the thread. How good are your Digital Advisors? I can type in other store numbers on the iOS report and their iPods either have expired certificates, outdated apps, missing for more than 15 days hence why the certificates are expired. I hate to sound cocky and brag but I have no issues with our list of reports. All iPDAs are in use--except one we just sent in to be replaced. It had something broken rattling around in the case--and all apps are up to date on the TM iPods, Guest facing iPods & iPad kiosks. Maybe I'm insanely OCD about them...

Are they actually sticky labels? I guess I have only seen the paper strips. Anyway, can you check out posts 1499 and 1500 on page 75 and tell me if that solves your issue?
There are adhesive labels that work just the same as the paper labels that are used with the printer, except they have a peel-away back. These are used for price changes as the label will stick over the old price point underneath the balloon so if the balloon is lost, the price point is still correct. Revision strips tend to take a while to catch up with price changes so it's not uncommon for weekly revision strips to have the incorrect price printed for a few weeks. When revisions are tied the system recognizes the discrepancy and generates new price change labels to match the new schematic.

The solutions you pointed out are essentially what I do right now when printing my revisions. I highlight all my batches and print. The problem is that printing all the batches at once doesn't merge them, it prints every single batch as a separate print job. So if I print 25 batches from POG revisions, I have 25 print jobs, which is fairly time consuming to print out. The biggest issue is that a majority of my batches are just the POG header so a whole sheet of paper is used up to print just a single header. In essence a sheet of 30 labels prints out one label wasting the other 29 labels. Even when there are price changes it's usually just under 10 of them so I still wind up wasting most of the sheet. On SFLM all POGs tied in the same session would be added to the same batch. Provided that the PDA didn't time out, all the ties would have their labels in the same batch and the only labels wasted would be whatever was left over on the last page.

So to get back on track with the thread. How good are your Digital Advisors? I can type in other store numbers on the iOS report and their iPods either have expired certificates, outdated apps, missing for more than 15 days hence why the certificates are expired. I hate to sound cocky and brag but I have no issues with our list of reports. All iPDAs are in use--except one we just sent in to be replaced. It had something broken rattling around in the case--and all apps are up to date on the TM iPods, Guest facing iPods & iPad kiosks. Maybe I'm insanely OCD about them...
Wait, how do you pull up the report? I would be interested in checking it out. I'm not a digital advisor officially (if that's even a position) but it seems like leadership has me go around troubleshooting them when there's issues, like the infamous cannot connect to tcwireless issue.

There are adhesive labels that work just the same as the paper labels that are used with the printer, except they have a peel-away back. These are used for price changes as the label will stick over the old price point underneath the balloon so if the balloon is lost, the price point is still correct. Revision strips tend to take a while to catch up with price changes so it's not uncommon for weekly revision strips to have the incorrect price printed for a few weeks. When revisions are tied the system recognizes the discrepancy and generates new price change labels to match the new schematic.

The solutions you pointed out are essentially what I do right now when printing my revisions. I highlight all my batches and print. The problem is that printing all the batches at once doesn't merge them, it prints every single batch as a separate print job. So if I print 25 batches from POG revisions, I have 25 print jobs, which is fairly time consuming to print out. The biggest issue is that a majority of my batches are just the POG header so a whole sheet of paper is used up to print just a single header. In essence a sheet of 30 labels prints out one label wasting the other 29 labels. Even when there are price changes it's usually just under 10 of them so I still wind up wasting most of the sheet. On SFLM all POGs tied in the same session would be added to the same batch. Provided that the PDA didn't time out, all the ties would have their labels in the same batch and the only labels wasted would be whatever was left over on the last page.

Wait, how do you pull up the report? I would be interested in checking it out. I'm not a digital advisor officially (if that's even a position) but it seems like leadership has me go around troubleshooting them when there's issues, like the infamous cannot connect to tcwireless issue.
It's a quick link called "Equipment Control iOS" or something along those lines. Let's you know the last person who checked it out, if there is an issue with the certificate hence why some may not connect and if there are any outdated apps on any device whether it be myDevice, GRiPod, or GRiPad.

The report is located on workbench, under equipment, then front end.

I don't recall seeing this yet, but on the Label option on the PDA, you can change the size of label you want to print. This same option needs to be available for the MyDevice. I had to change some fixtures from 9" peg hooks to artwork loops, and had to find a PDA to change the label size from regular to small.

Also, why did the option to print clearance tickets get removed? Another function you need to track down a PDA for.

Lastly, I miss the "this is taking forever" message.

I don't recall seeing this yet, but on the Label option on the PDA, you can change the size of label you want to print. This same option needs to be available for the MyDevice. I had to change some fixtures from 9" peg hooks to artwork loops, and had to find a PDA to change the label size from regular to small.

Also, why did the option to print clearance tickets get removed? Another function you need to track down a PDA for.

Lastly, I miss the "this is taking forever" message.
That option is there. Scan the label, select print signs. Stop! Don't hit any buttons! Look for the tiny down arrow at the bottom. That is where you select the type of label or sign you need on the my device.

That option is there. Scan the label, select print signs. Stop! Don't hit any buttons! Look for the tiny down arrow at the bottom. That is where you select the type of label or sign you need on the my device.

I'll have to look again, but all I recall seeing is the all of the sale sign options, basic paper sign for displays, and one option for generic label.

I'll have to look again, but all I recall seeing is the all of the sale sign options, basic paper sign for displays, and one option for generic label.
In playing the genetic sign is regular if the system wants a short label...can't recall what printed if the system wants to print a regular label. But yes, I need to turn on and off unit price printing for weighed meat...pricing prints the price per pound and we have to correct it.

Back