MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

About six hours into an eight hour shift I'm constantly dismissing the low battery warning, until it finally dies. My job involves a lot of scanning - and a lot of tieing and dropping pogs. The battery lasts an entire shift only if I have an unusually light workload that day. Have not tried dimming the screen yet, but it's worth a shot.
I mean it made the battery last where I left with a little more than 50% battery after a 8 hr shift. But it was sometimes difficult to see what was on the screen. It had its pros & cons.

Pictures not that big of a deal. I did find doing the drastic count report that while it tells me things are in the back, I could not tell if an item was part of an assortment.

We don't locate assortments in the stockroom cause they will pull on CAF rounds, but it is nice to know for my purpose that a DCPI is associated with an assortment. Sure as we scan our task list things get zero'd out. I come back through looking for that DCPI scanning in PDA research it would tell me "AST" so I could put the count back in the system once I checked where we keep assortments. Or when doing the scan through knowing there is a high on hands but none on the floor seeing the AST we would not bother to zero that item out. Or if a guest needed that item say a Essie nail polish we could pull that brand assortment and sift through it to find it for a guest.

Random things I find as I use the MyDevice.

I mean it made the battery last where I left with a little more than 50% battery after a 8 hr shift. But it was sometimes difficult to see what was on the screen. It had its pros & cons.
ipods use a ips screen dimming the screen will save alot of battery, although it may make it hard to see but i've always done the same with the pdas anyways.

To be honest, most everything has already been discussed here. Lots of bug fixes & stability improvements. But after "edit capacity", PCV, SDA, BCODE, SIM, & TINV, the LPDAs will be pulled. As PDAs get removed, if we hear of other funtionality that absolutely needs to get added, we'll get roped back into developing that too. My prediction is that PULL will get added last minute. But that's just a hunch.
Quick question. Anyone know what TINV is?

Also @UIguy and/or @OtherGuy i know someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but might there be a way to input a virtual scanner button somewhere in the myWork app? I don't mind the ones on the side, but I know some who will try and press the home button because they are used to the button on the LPDA. I know there is a pretty large blank space and the bottom of the app, or should I say gray space. Similar to the Honeywell scanning app that goes with the Honeywell scanner sled itself. I know the GR iPods & iPads have the app installed. Tried it out on a few things while it was not in Guest Mode. image.jpg

Also @UIguy and/or @OtherGuy i know someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but might there be a way to input a virtual scanner button somewhere in the myWork app? I don't mind the ones on the side, but I know some who will try and press the home button because they are used to the button on the LPDA. I know there is a pretty large blank space and the bottom of the app, or should I say gray space. Similar to the Honeywell scanning app that goes with the Honeywell scanner sled itself. I know the GR iPods & iPads have the app installed. Tried it out on a few things while it was not in Guest Mode.View attachment 785
We've talk about this quite a bit and simply haven't had the time to do it. Fun fact, if you touch the barcode on the "scan" screen, it activates the scanner. I think on every other screen, the red header does the same thing. Try it. If it doesn't do that yet, it will in an upcoming update.

We can look into moving where that virtual button is... but it'd be more challenging on Price Change & Research screens.

We've talk about this quite a bit and simply haven't had the time to do it. Fun fact, if you touch the barcode on the "scan" screen, it activates the scanner. I think on every other screen, the red header does the same thing. Try it. If it doesn't do that yet, it will in an upcoming update.

We can look into moving where that virtual button is... but it'd be more challenging on Price Change & Research screens.
Tried it, it worked, didn't even know that! I forgot about the pricing & Instocks screens with that guide bar at the bottom...

In research mode and update counts mode I am finding that when we hit update, we get the red exclamation point and you have to keep hitting update 5-10 times before anything updates..
Should be fixed in the next release.

I did find doing the drastic count report that while it tells me things are in the back, I could not tell if an item was part of an assortment.

We don't locate assortments in the stockroom cause they will pull on CAF rounds, but it is nice to know for my purpose that a DCPI is associated with an assortment. Sure as we scan our task list things get zero'd out. I come back through looking for that DCPI scanning in PDA research it would tell me "AST" so I could put the count back in the system once I checked where we keep assortments. Or when doing the scan through knowing there is a high on hands but none on the floor seeing the AST we would not bother to zero that item out. Or if a guest needed that item say a Essie nail polish we could pull that brand assortment and sift through it to find it for a guest.
I'm curious if this is a common behavior in other stores because best practice is to have them located. There really shouldn't be items in the backroom that are unlocated, as this will cause all kinds of other replenishment headaches such as what you listed. In the nail polish example how would you know you even have any of that in the backroom for a guest if it isn't located? Also as soon as an assortment item is opened and something taken out all the items should be either put on the floor or backstocked individually, I'm guessing this isn't happening either?
Is the issue that the CAFs are pulling assortment items and you then have to backstock the excess?

I'm curious if this is a common behavior in other stores because best practice is to have them located. There really shouldn't be items in the backroom that are unlocated, as this will cause all kinds of other replenishment headaches such as what you listed. In the nail polish example how would you know you even have any of that in the backroom for a guest if it isn't located? Also as soon as an assortment item is opened and something taken out all the items should be either put on the floor or backstocked individually, I'm guessing this isn't happening either?
Is the issue that the CAFs are pulling assortment items and you then have to backstock the excess?
Ours are located. Always. If they come up in a caf we burn them unless they have been set to the endcap salesplanner.

So the red bar at the top was pretty sweet for scanning. A little awkward since its at the top, but doable. I also accidentally accessed the camera scanner part of the app. Though it crashes out the app just about every time.

It doesn't work that cleanly at the store level. There could be shippers that have carry forward product for an upcoming salesplanner or it could have a mix of new and carry forward or there could be some other reason for it to be staged. Ideally there would be a "Stage" grouping for the backroom that would only get pulled from on pog fills. That way it's located so people can find it, and you don't have to worry about it coming out on cafs

So the red bar at the top was pretty sweet for scanning. A little awkward since its at the top, but doable. I also accidentally accessed the camera scanner part of the app. Though it crashes out the app just about every time.
That's interesting. I thought we pulled the camera scanner out several months ago. How did you access it? I feel like it's a hidden world on Mario Bros. or something :)

That's interesting. I thought we pulled the camera scanner out several months ago. How did you access it? I feel like it's a hidden world on Mario Bros. or something :)
It will only activate if the iPod is not connected to the sled (i.e. The scanner has stopped, or the iPod is removed from the sled.) from what little tests I did with it. Couldn't get it to activate if the scanner was functioning.

EDIT: accessing it is the same as activating the scanner. Touching the red bar or first screen barcode.

I made an interesting discovery today. Scanner stopped working. I did some troubleshooting (rebooted, removed it from the sled, reinstalled myWork app) but nothing worked. I did notice that the battery was showing about 70% charged. When I fully recharged the myDevice, the scanner miraculously worked again. So I tested that theory on several others that TMs were complaining about faulty scanning. Yep, the scanners worked great as soon as the devices were fully charged.

Of course, this doesn't help us at all on the floor because there are never enough 100% charged devices for everyone to use. Any suggestions?

I made an interesting discovery today. Scanner stopped working. I did some troubleshooting (rebooted, removed it from the sled, reinstalled myWork app) but nothing worked. I did notice that the battery was showing about 70% charged. When I fully recharged the myDevice, the scanner miraculously worked again. So I tested that theory on several others that TMs were complaining about faulty scanning. Yep, the scanners worked great as soon as the devices were fully charged.

Of course, this doesn't help us at all on the floor because there are never enough 100% charged devices for everyone to use. Any suggestions?
I've came across something similar. When one of my coworkers scanner quit--and I tried everything I know to get it working again (i.e. force close app, shut down, a simple exit app & relaunch, and finally remove and re-insert iPod back into the sled--I took it and put it on the dock for a few seconds. Removed it and relaunched the myWork app and it started scanning again so... I don't know. Honestly I don't think its a software issue with the scanner. It's something between the iPod itself & the sled.

I dont know if this as been said yet (if it has, I apoligize for repeating it) but I dont like how after 5-10 minutes of not using the mydevices, the scanner stops working and you have to restart your mydevice to get it to work. I also hate how often it logs you out.

This may be a coincidence but ever since the mydevices rolled out, I have been noticing products located in my produce 1 coolers become unlocated a day after they have been backstocked. I know they were located because I either backstocked the product myself or I pulled some of the product myself

I prefer if the camera option were kept for the times when the scanner does not function.

Also, I have had numerous instances recently of "Inventory Unknown" rather than showing a count for items. A subsequent scan with a LPDA will show an accurate count.

I prefer if the camera option were kept for the times when the scanner does not function.

Also, I have had numerous instances recently of "Inventory Unknown" rather than showing a count for items. A subsequent scan with a LPDA will show an accurate count.

Whenever that has happened, I just swipe off the myWork app and reload it. Works just fine.

When are the ipods rolling out to the backroom? Will it have accessories for it? Will it be faster and more sturdy?

It doesn't work that cleanly at the store level. There could be shippers that have carry forward product for an upcoming salesplanner or it could have a mix of new and carry forward or there could be some other reason for it to be staged. Ideally there would be a "Stage" grouping for the backroom that would only get pulled from on pog fills. That way it's located so people can find it, and you don't have to worry about it coming out on cafs
Preach brother

When are the ipods rolling out to the backroom? Will it have accessories for it? Will it be faster and more sturdy?

I would probably say not anytime soon. The developers already said there are no plans to add CAFs to the MyDevices. I think Target wants to keep MyDevices for sales floor and instocks and leave the PDAs to backroom.

Back