Archived Team Lead Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmj958

Salesfloor TL
Is a team leads pay that much more than a Team Member? I just got offered a team lead position and we haven't discussed my pay yet and I was wondering if I would see a significant increase? I know it's dependent on your district and store sales but I'm just curious.

ASANTS, but my increase was around $7/hr, from a part time gsa to a SrTL

In my area (low cost of living), paygrades are as follows:

N3 10.00 cashier/service desk/sales floor
N5 10.25 instocks? food ave
N7 10.50 flow, backroom, POG?, starbucks, GSA
N9 11.00 PA
N11 13.25 some TLs I think
N13 14.00 more TLs
N15 15.00 this is where the flow TL is at my store (key carrier), not sure on specifics
N17 15.75 senior TL (TL with 2-3 LOD shifts per week, can be any TL but most common is sales floor)

So, lets say $4/hour. Given 40 hrs/week -> ~2000 hrs/year, this leads to about an extra $8,000/year compared to a team member working 40 hrs/week. Most TMs don't work 40, so a consistent amount of hours worked is also a huge benefit of being a TL. TLs are not guaranteed 40, but most do work 40 and then gain enough vacation to make up for the occasional week that is under 40, so it's a very consistent paycheck.

You should at minimum get 3.50 above what you were but some people get a much as six to seven. Our VML went up 9 bucks.

Based on the scale posted above, I am a pay grade N13, but am making more on to the N17 amount. When I was offered my pay increase of almost $5 I was dumb to not try and get more for what I could bring to the table. And as mentioned, your not guaranteed 40 hours but the lowest you'll have a minimum of 32, unless it varies by store. But pay wise, it is more consistent even at your lowest hours you know what you'll be getting.

How do you guys start negotiating? I feel as soon as they put an offer down and you question it, it makes you look bad, so what's the best way to do it when you know you're worth more?

How do you guys start negotiating? I feel as soon as they put an offer down and you question it, it makes you look bad, so what's the best way to do it when you know you're worth more?
I want to know this too. I hope they don't low ball me.

Have a prepared list of skills that you bring to the table. Did you help turn around a specific metric in your work center. Talk that up, be specific. Look over your past reviews...what areas did you shine.

When you are negotiating your pay, Target is the enemy. They want to pay you as little as possible.

Don't be afraid to say no to an offer, particularly if it's a work center that will require alot of effort to turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
About +$5 is the max a regular TL can start at in my area. Or so I was quietly told.

When you negotiate start high then come down. If you let them offer first you will be inclined to just take it. Do your research, ask and then find a compromise.

When you negotiate start high then come down. If you let them offer first you will be inclined to just take it. Do your research, ask and then find a compromise.

Quite frankly, I would let them offer first. Let's you see where they are as far as your perceived worth.

IRL, I do quite a bit of negotiating in my primary job.
Assuming you will want at least $2 more than what is offered, I'd counter $4-$5 more. However, you are going to need to back that up. Give examples of what you have done for Target, very specific examples. Also, bring copies of your reviews if there are areas where you excelled...this will help document your accomplishments.

If you and HR are close, state you would be willing to split the difference. Don't "ask" to split the difference (Would you be willing to split the difference?), that signals that you are submitting to them. Offer up the option to split the difference, it shows you are a leader and problem solver.

I can't stress how important it will be to present your skills & abilities in a concise manner.

Quite frankly, I would let them offer first. Let's you see where they are as far as your perceived worth.

IRL, I do quite a bit of negotiating in my primary job.
Assuming you will want at least $2 more than what is offered, I'd counter $4-$5 more. However, you are going to need to back that up. Give examples of what you have done for Target, very specific examples. Also, bring copies of your reviews if there are areas where you excelled...this will help document your accomplishments.

If you and HR are close, state you would be willing to split the difference. Don't "ask" to split the difference (Would you be willing to split the difference?), that signals that you are submitting to them. Offer up the option to split the difference, it shows you are a leader and problem solver.

I can't stress how important it will be to present your skills & abilities in a concise manner.

Yeah that is not a bad idea but again if he says he is shy and they say "We start our TL at 15 an hour" does he have the confidence to ask for 19? Or will he say "okay" letting them offer first is not for everyone.

Talk to TLs or ETLs that you trust about negotiating. Some districts won't negotiate for hourly team members at all.

5.50 over base here. Probably could've negotiated more if I'd thought to. No one on bench, both previous HLTLs leaving/termed, new SF-ETL, and no one else even in development. Missed my chance.

In my area (low cost of living), paygrades are as follows:

N3 10.00 cashier/service desk/sales floor
N5 10.25 instocks? food ave
N7 10.50 flow, backroom, POG?, starbucks, GSA
N9 11.00 PA
N11 13.25 some TLs I think
N13 14.00 more TLs
N15 15.00 this is where the flow TL is at my store (key carrier), not sure on specifics
N17 15.75 senior TL (TL with 2-3 LOD shifts per week, can be any TL but most common is sales floor)

So, lets say $4/hour. Given 40 hrs/week -> ~2000 hrs/year, this leads to about an extra $8,000/year compared to a team member working 40 hrs/week. Most TMs don't work 40, so a consistent amount of hours worked is also a huge benefit of being a TL. TLs are not guaranteed 40, but most do work 40 and then gain enough vacation to make up for the occasional week that is under 40, so it's a very consistent paycheck.

In my area, instocks and electronics tm are N07.
Pricing is N05 I think.
TPS N11
TLs N13 and N15.

Had a talk with my BRTL yesterday, he's been with Target almost 15 yrs....he's being paid $23/hr o_O.....that's CRAZY lol

Thats around 50k a year not bad but still a lot less than an ETL fresh out of college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back