Archived Team Leader Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the youngest TL you guys have ever seen or worked with? The store I was working with was talking about how they had a sales floor TL who was 17? How does that work?

I think the youngest TL I've had was 22 when he got promoted. We had a teenage GSA a few years ago who was horrible (not because she was a teenager, but because she was just horrible).

18 is the youngest I've seen, but that was years ago when there were much more TL positions to go around.

I know there was a former gstl on here that was 16 when they got the position. I would think under 18 is a rarity these days. If it even happens. More and more they look for degrees.

My store doesn't even hire minors.

Last edited:
The first time I became a TL, I was 19 or 20. I was one of the youngest in my district. I'm the youngest that I know of. That first time didn't work out so well though. The store I ended up in was awful. No exec that worked there still worked for the company a year later. But we have TLs in the district from their early to mid twenties all the way up to their sixties.

I was that guy mentioned above. I was hired in 2002 just after my 16th birthday. We had a high turnover store, and not tons of leadership. I had a great relationship with my STL. I was globally trained in 3 months, and when a GSTL position opened up about 7 months after my hire in summer of 2003, I interviewed and got the job. There was a ton of negativity among the TL and ETL staff, but in the end they all agreed I was the best for the job. I had transferred high schools, and had almost 10 credits more than most people my age, as well as had taken all of the AP classes that interested me, so I agreed to do a co-op for my senior year. This allowed me to work 35 hours with labor laws, and since I was a GSTL, I could be clocked out at 10:45p on any of the nights I worked during the week. The laws had no limit on timeframe on non-school days. At first my two GSTL peers balked at it, and then they realized what a good gig it was for them! (I closed 3-4 weeknights, they got all opens, and I worked most weekends open or close). There were NO restrictions on money handling that could be pointed to, and my only other restrictions were equipment (baler, etc...). My STL loved the development piece of it to brag to the district. It worked out VERY well for me personally, as I was able to transfer right into a GSTL spot near my college as I began about 18 months after hire at a new store. Both stores were ULV, and when I transferred to the college town, almost all the TL's were working students. I was able to get health benefits, paid vacation, PH, and holiday pay, as well as tuition reimbursement. Not to mention the scholarships when people read my story. When I left Target with another job offer for an amazing position that would allow me to enjoy my senior year, I had almost six years of management experience at the age of 21

It's definitely an exception, not the norm...I had started working at 14, and have a drive that is unlike most. When I targeted the GSTL position (no pun intended), my GS (now GE) and HR ETL's almost laughed at me. However, I asked them for specific statements and printed policy, and was able to prove them wrong or present options to every obstacle. The lightning rod for controversy I became would have been unbearable to most (both from people my own age and from those twice my age) and now that I am 28, I can understand why. However, as I mentioned before, it was an experience that literally changed my life. I came from a struggling family, and was able to take care of my own expenses from a very young age. It also afforded me travel and social opportunities I would have never had before (making $13 an hour at 16 was crazy...left at almost $17, which allowed me to get through school in a time when it may not have been otherwise been possible.)

There was a ton of sacrifice on my end though. In high school I served as student body president, and state officer on a number of different things. But, I was also released from class at 10:50a for the rest of the day, and could spend all lunches with my friends. There were times when the rest of the crew were at football and basketball games, but I was closing checklanes. It was a give and take, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. It got better in college, since we all looked out for one another in a small store, all in the same boat (trading off football Saturdays, and forming a really tight-knit crew to socialize after the zone was done!)

I have switched careers a number of times, all with Target being a focus. When I left my dream job after 6 1/2 years last year to start my own consulting business, I picked up a part-time position with a very unique retailer (iBet you have heard of iStore, iF you catch my iDrift). The hiring manager was formerly an STL, knew my former STL, and talked with him at length about me. They are now offering me an unbeatable career experience that I'm debating taking!

TL;DR. I was a TL at 16. I was convinced I was the best for the job (and assert that to this day) and made Spot eat their words when they told me it wasn't possible. Never underestimate the power of relationships. AND, just because it can/does happen, does NOT mean the process will be easy (but worth it if you learn, grow, and accept the proper feedback and process with peers).

@BullseyeBud Thats awesome man! (And encouraging) I was hired into a sales floor positions and have been working as a team leader for just over a year now at previous jobs (Im 17). Me and my manager have been talking about the team lead position so I'm hoping it works out. Any tips?

I was 20 when I started.. Definitely one of the youngest in my district.. Even now as a Senior in my store, only 2 TLs are younger than me, I was pretty raw when I came aboard, learned a lot about leading and managing people on the fly

We have a salesfloor TL who is 18 in my district. I'm 21, the youngest at my store.

I became a GSA and got on the bench right at 18 years old and graduating high school. Had i stuck out and kept the TL position I was offered, I would have been 19 when I started it.

I was 25 when I entered the pits of Target as a minion and now I'm 31 and I am still a minion. :D

I've never worked with a TL younger than early to mid 20's. I wouldn't have a problem with it either, age is just a number. It's all about ability level. And I've seen TL's in their 30s/40s crash and burn, so you can't always determine that by age.

I was 18 when I started. Worked hard and was promoted to team leader when I was 21. Worked hard and was promoted to senior team leader when i was 24. Worked hard and transferred stores to be closer to family after having a child when I was 28. Was led to believe I was transferring as a team leader. Now I'm 31 and just a team member....stay in school kids! Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

I just got promoted to TL last week and I'm 20. I'm not sure but I'm assuming I'm one of the younger, if not youngest in my district. I'm worried about trying to manage people who are older than me

Hired for TL at 23, made SrTL at 24.
Our youngest TL was 20 when they were promoted into a TL position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back