Archived Team leader AND full time student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paidtosmile

Former Team Leader
Does anybody here have experience with being a full time college student AND team leader (obviously full time, too) ?

Was it manageable? Stress levels? opinions? Would you recommend it?

I am about to experience it in 4 weeks. I will be an extended intern and full time student. Last year I worked 40 hours and did 18 units, but was not in a leadership position. The stress was still high, and very little time for R&R or a social life.

If you are in a relationship or have children (or hell, needy pets) expect those relationships to become strained as well.

It's tough. You can really only take classes T/R and have one as your closing and one as your off day if you're salesfloor. I've had a semester where I've worked every weekend because I could only work like 20 hours Monday thru Friday. It's tough. And you'll have no life except work and class. But once you have that degree it will be worth it. Just make sure that you always put class first.

I've done the full-time work and school for two semesters. I took 15 credit hours and I averaged around 38+ at work.
I'm not in a leadership role though. Like AllThingsTarget101 said, try to pile your classes into two days.
Schools usually have classes that meet twice a week.

If you're going to be doing a lot of math or science classes then I would reconsider.
If you haven't picked classes yet I would suggest the "easy" intro classes.
Which include intro to psychology, sociology, anthropology, biology, and even the English composition courses.
Of course this all depends on your own strengths and weaknesses.

My only complaint is that you go haywire without a day off.

I will be this semester as many others.. however this past spring I worked 2 jobs while doing FT... Signing roll at Target and Admin office at Lowe's... as many said its tough... I'm an accounting major and there wasn't much free time...

this coming semester I'll be doing it as a TL (just recently promoted during the summer) but I would say its manageable... just don't expect to have a ton of free time..

I will be this semester as many others.. however this past spring I worked 2 jobs while doing FT... Signing roll at Target and Admin office at Lowe's... as many said its tough... I'm an accounting major and there wasn't much free time...

this coming semester I'll be doing it as a TL (just recently promoted during the summer) but I would say its manageable... just don't expect to have a ton of free time..

Are u doing the upper division classes yet? i heard the intermediate accounting classes can be a pain.

Intermediate accounting wasn't too bad. It's really all more of the same stuff you've done, only more rules and more indepth. I made it through intermediate accounting with A's and then decided I didn't want to be an accounting major anymore. Cost accounting is what you should be worried about.

I took 15 hours for 3 semesters in a row as a tl, and it personally broke me. I've taken the last two semesters off because I ended up not being able to handle it. PAce yourself. Also keep focused on school. Target will be there when you're done.

As a SrTL, I've been taking classes for the last two semesters. I am doing online courses so I can do them on my own time because I cannot count on Target to get me off specific times for class. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely very doable.

Are u doing the upper division classes yet? i heard the intermediate accounting classes can be a pain.
Yes I've taken Intermediate 1 and 2 as well as Cost Accounting and Accounting Information Systems... This semester will be Intermediate 3 and Audit.. I have 2 semesters left.. 5 courses.. (could do it in one but I'd have to take 3 4000+ level accounting classes in the same semester and that is not happening lol)

Intermediate accounting wasn't too bad. It's really all more of the same stuff you've done, only more rules and more indepth. I made it through intermediate accounting with A's and then decided I didn't want to be an accounting major anymore. Cost accounting is what you should be worried about.
I'm going to say it depends on your school. Cost was a breeze for me however Intermediate is known for breaking people at my school.. We're ranked pretty high in undergrad accounting though so that may be part of it... but its like 50% drop rate for intermediate 1 alone for some profressors lol... I made an A in 1 and B in Intermediate 2..

Cost is the weed out class at my old uni. It's the top ranked school in my state for accounting. AIS is kind of a weed out bc it's taught by the worst professor, but cost is by far the worst. Even advanced cost is easier (and taught by a much better professor most semesters)!

Yep SrTL doing 40 hours plus 17-20 units a quarter (10 weeks so classes are more fast paced but I kinda rather have that than a full semester). Last year during 4th quarter almost broke me...I had days where I literally would be at school and work for about 16 hours with < 1 break in between them. This year I am even more worried going into 4th quarter but I am definitely putting school 100% first so I have no other options but to do both. But as it's my last year, once I have my degree it will be all worth it.

paidtosmile, if you end up going the APTL route, you write your own schedule. And if your district is anything like the one I used to work in and the one I work in now, you can work anywhere from 32-40 hours. You don't need to put in 40 every week if you don't want to.

I just finished but mine was all online courses.. it sucked. was hard to stay focused but i did it. i was going to go to a local college my stl refused to work with me. I just needed to have the same day off each week and leave an hour early on one day which i could make up the next day and he said no way in hell (literally) its worth it and stress does rise specially when you have deadlines but if you buckle down and put yourself on a schedule you should be fine! get a good support system! even the people on here im sure would support you

I just finished but mine was all online courses.. it sucked. was hard to stay focused but i did it. i was going to go to a local college my stl refused to work with me. I just needed to have the same day off each week and leave an hour early on one day which i could make up the next day and he said no way in hell (literally) its worth it and stress does rise specially when you have deadlines but if you buckle down and put yourself on a schedule you should be fine! get a good support system! even the people on here im sure would support you

Your STL = DICK!

Your STL = DICK!

Ditto.

Thanks everyone! All of my team leaders have been with spot since the beginning of time, so i can't reach out to anybody at work.

paidtosmile, if you end up going the APTL route, you write your own schedule. And if your district is anything like the one I used to work in and the one I work in now, you can work anywhere from 32-40 hours. You don't need to put in 40 every week if you don't want to.
Hey thanks! That's really helpful to know! I know our current one does around 35 a week. I was actually thinking APS might be a really good fit for me, that way you have a little less responsibility than a TL but still get a good pay grade. plus I'd imagine your schedule is a little bit more flexible.

We have a SR.TL who is in school; I don't know if she goes full-time but I'm guessing she's working towards her degree so she can promote to ETL.

One of our GSAs (if that counts) works ~35/hrs per week at Spot, has a second job that's 10-15 hours a week and is taking 5 classes this semester.

Thanks everyone! All of my team leaders have been with spot since the beginning of time, so i can't reach out to anybody at work.

Hey thanks! That's really helpful to know! I know our current one does around 35 a week. I was actually thinking APS might be a really good fit for me, that way you have a little less responsibility than a TL but still get a good pay grade. plus I'd imagine your schedule is a little bit more flexible.

I give this advice with the caveat that every district is different, and it usually comes down to who your APBP and STL are and what their expectations are. But just so you know, in my current district the APTL's have a much more flexible schedule than the APS (there's currently only one). The APS is only allowed to work mids and closing shifts, as the higher ups believe that's the only time of day theft occurs. Which isn't true, but try changing their minds. As an APTL, you can likely rationalize a business need for any type of schedule you need to work (due to school). Have morning classes? Tell them you want to make theft a priority at work and do more mids/closings. Have evening classes? Explain that you want to focus on process error/shortage and work more openings. That said, it's definitely true the APS has less responsibility/stress, while still making a pretty good hourly wage.

It's a little bit of a game, but in AP you can pretty much explain any type of schedule you want to work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back