Archived Team Leader Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the requirements to be a sales floor team leader? I have worked in retail for over three years and was talking to my ETL about the position the other day.

- Experience Required?
- Is there an age requirement?
- Time with company?

Thanks much!

- Mip

Let me put it to you this way:

There are many TMs with years of experience and degrees (myself included), but in the past month, at my store, a person with no previous retail experience or degree was directly hired as a TL.

Of course, not all stores are the same, but what you mentioned isn't necessarily a prerequisite of being a TL.

but in the past month, at my store, a person with no previous retail experience or degree was directly hired as a TL
So what do they do if they don't know what to do?

Target usually looks for people with degrees for TL. BUT every area isn't the same...There is a TL at my store with a masters degree.

Degrees aren't a must in my area. But more and more lately it seems like the person with the degree (internal or external) will get the job over someone without a degree.

And it doesn't really matter what the degree is in.

Our district just had the Degree requirement lifted per complaints of internal people wanting the job but couldn't apply. Kinda silly if you think about it that they'd hire a new person to train instead of someone who has worked x years and knows mostly what to do.

On the other hand, a desire to do a job doesn't always equate to the ability to do a job. Even in our low volume store we probably have a dozen part-time TM's who talk about wanting to promote and become TL's. Out of that group, only one actually passed TL interviews and is on the TL bench. And he used to be a TL anyway.

The rest of them? Yikes. Lots of development needed. I'm mentoring one and working on his development as a potential backfill, and even he has a long way to go. Tons of potential, but not there yet.

What are the requirements to be a sales floor team leader? I have worked in retail for over three years and was talking to my ETL about the position the other day.

- Experience Required?
- Is there an age requirement?
- Time with company?

Thanks much!

- Mip

i had never worked a day of retail in my life until i accepted a senior team lead position 2 months ago. i have been in management in a local non-profit agency for the past 6-7 years. i got to skip over the bench process to the dismay and wonderment of many others in my store who wanted the position i was offered.

I got a new stl and dtl who love to promote internal. Both srtl at my store just got promoted to etl now the new srtls' are on a 18 month devlopment plan to become etls. The sftl and i are on a 18 month plan to become seniors.

At our store the TLs were always internal except for one or two times when they came from other Targets close by.
They never hired a TL off the street.

Now this isn't always for the best since sometimes when events caused shifting around we had people get promoted suddenly who might have been better waiting a bit but usually it was fine because the team supported them.
In one case the APTL who thought he was going to be promoted to AP-ETL wasn't and they made him PTL instead.
He was great in AP, but had a personality that led to the destruction of the plano team.

AP people are a different breed in my opinion. They are good at what they do and should keep doing what they do best. It takes a certain mindset and personality to do a position like that and for the most part it doesn't mesh well with non ap roles in target. I can see why it didn't work out for that guy.

Also outside TL hires never seemed to work out in my experience.

I wonder if Target could benefit from a similar hierarchy as Walmart. It seems their managers get promoted up to positions equivalent to ETL. Experience and willingness to work retail tend to be more valuable than a degree. If you go into retail with a great attitude and realistic understanding, you tend to do well meeting the demands.

Kind of silly to have to have a college degree to become and assistant store manager of a big box store.. - Must make a mother proud that they spent money on college for that. Better yet - having to have a college degree to be a department head in a big box store.
Target sure thinks very highly of themselves - don't they?

I want the job of the person who makes the names for target positions - How to make a bottom end job sound superb - Do you think they are getting the cut at headquarters? Oh no, what will we ever do? There's got to be a name for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back