Archived Team Member refuses to do backup cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
Team member has been employed by Target for seven years so performing as a cashier is a non issue. He blatantly refuses to do it. How do you respond?

Happens all the time. I usually coach them with the lod involved and if they continue after multiple coachings its becoming a CA. I dont like using a CA but everyone has to do thier job.

What if this guy is scheduled alone? Wouldn't his team lead get reamed for not training him to be a team player?

Are you a GSTL/GSA? When you call for back-up, request that he come up. That's worked at my store but ASANTS.

My store treats it as if you're scheduled on the sales floor (hardlines, soft lines, market, etc) even if you're normally a flow team member (who normally wouldn't be cashiering) you need to know how to cashier.

My store treats it as if you're scheduled on the sales floor (hardlines, soft lines, market, etc) even if you're normally a flow team member (who normally wouldn't be cashiering) you need to know how to cashier.

My store trains anyone who has anything above a snowball's chance in hell of being on the floor during guest facing hours on a register. Zero exceptions. It's not that they make them come up to cashier, because making the dude pulling flexible fulfillments cashier is unreasonable, but they like having the option available so they don't get stuck up a creek without a paddle if it's a full on code 1 and everyone's on a register. (Except of course the ETLs.)

What if this guy is scheduled alone? Wouldn't his team lead get reamed for not training him to be a team player?

Hmm not necessarily if he is scheduled as the only salesfloor tm then im not gonna expect him to come up. I'll just jump on and let him service the guest on the floor. Also all my cart attendants know how to cashier so ill use them too. Again ASANTS that just how we handle that situation.

I don't see the difference between saying you won't cashier and saying you won't do anything else.

For example, using the forklift. There are people who are trained (I know because I trained them) that flat out refuse.

Sorry to say this, but since it is a fact, I'll state it, but they are all women.

And no one does anything about that.

Insubordination is an automatic CA.

When I first came onboard I had some TMS who said they don't do certain things - work downstairs, throw the truck, cardboard, bowl, pull/backstock the freezer or work PFresh.

First I did all of the above several times. SEVERAL TIMES!!! Then I had a huddle and flat out read core roles of ETL, TL, and Flow TM ( all overnight were considered Flow TMs). Then I ripped them up.

I level set my expectations and explained that we all have the same goal - unload the truck, stock the floor, backstock, clean our mess, and go the F home. Yes we cussed overnight. I explained we are a team and we must fill in when needed.

Some @ssholes asked if the women, especially the 4ft 80lb 60 year old had to throw the truck too. If not then they (20 year old, strong and healthy) aren't doing it. I said you personally tell her to throw the truck then explain to the STL why you feel an old B should do it and you can't.

Insubordination was a quick way to term. I also used shitty tasks as punishment for TMs saying they cant do something. Say no and you'll find yourself promoted to Guest in no time.

I don't see the difference between saying you won't cashier and saying you won't do anything else.

For example, using the forklift. There are people who are trained (I know because I trained them) that flat out refuse.

Sorry to say this, but since it is a fact, I'll state it, but they are all women.

And no one does anything about that.
You can't destroy an entire pallet of product or kill someone on a register. So there is a bit of a difference...

I know what @unknown is saying. If your job requires you to use power equipment then it would be in your best interest to get trained and become comfortable with the equipment. If you're a backroom TM and you can't pull or backstock a pallet then you're wasting time and it's unfair to the team. Refusing to do it is only acceptable if you haven't been properly trained and don't have hours logged.

Safety is a big concern. But if you're not willing to learn then maybe backroom isn't the right fit. As for cashiering, everyone should be trained.

All women? I prefer an all women team. My best TMs were women and they got shit done with little complaints. My biggest complainers were boys between 20-26. I say boys because men don't bitch and complain like they did.

Maybe the TM has a reason they do not cashier. Such as having panic attacks when surrounded by people?

This entire thread is insane to me. I've worked at companies where this is normal, but in my time with Target I haven't come across anything like this. In fact, most people will be first to jump into helping with things. Before anyone asks, I'm incredibly grateful to work where I do now.

I work with someone like this. He said he panics when surrounded by people. Well he works retail, there are people everywhere. Then he changed it to he felt that since he had been there so long he shouldn't have to. After some more conversation he let me know that he thought cashiering was degrading and the lowest job in the store and he shouldn't have to do it. So we obliged. He was promoted to guest.

My old man does not and had never back-up cashiered. Every time they give me crap about pushing temp sensitive instead of baking up I remind them that inconsistent requirements for the sane job is not happening.

We have one tm who had panic attacks and doesn't back-up. They tweaked out because they didn't respond today after multiple calls. Not sure what the result of the lod having a hissy fit was though. Etl-hr was in so it could have been fun.

We have a veteran plano team member, older gentleman (not THAT old), who won't even take a walkie when he starts his shift. That's his way to avoid backup cashiering.

I'm not his direct supervisor, obviously, but it still kind of annoys me. I'm in AP and even I've helped out at the service desk when they are swamped, or helped out at the Electronics counter. No matter a person's job, we are ultimately there for one reason. To help Target be a successful business. So like I said it annoys me, but I'm not going to talk to him or coach the guy on it. That's up to his TL and ETL. But they are pussies and don't coach for anything really. And they wonder why the team members feel like they can do whatever they want and not listen to them. But if I was one of his peers, I would be pissed at him for not taking a walkie and not backing up while I run around and work pulls and do backups all day.

Of course! Who else would sit in starbucks with a walkie and command everyone to get up to the checklanes, but also grab the 2 or 3 call buttons that are simultaneously going off
This is so my ETL team. Do as I say, not as I do! What a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back