Archived The AP Room...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGP Girl

Walmart Digital Personal Shopper
(Note: if I say anything here that is not allowed let me know)

Ok, so last week I was asked to sit in on a AP Apprehension of a Female. It was around 10pm. I admit I was kinda excited.

But when I got there, it turned out to just be a huge sack of sad...Mom was stealing to support her son's alcoholic lifestyle, she was going to jail.

It actually reminded me of my own childhood, my Dad was a alcoholic too, and I had/am still having a lot of personal difficulties coming up.

I'm a recovering alcoholic too which started after, a incident at work shall we say on January 1st. Quit cold turkey because I don't want to become my Dad.

Anyways, I wanted to ask if anyone else had similar stories about what happens in the AP Room and it being very sad tbh.

I just basically upset me and with everything personal going on it was not helpful. But it's part of the job.

I honestly feel like I am not doing enough ATM but with the medical issues I am having I am already at my breaking point and it's too embarrassing to talk to leadership about.

Last edited:
I've apprehended many people, many of them have reasons for doing what they did. Pregnant women that needed money for baby stuff, junkies needing to sell stuff for money, down on their luck people, and people that just liked to steal shit. When AP interviews people, you find that many people are quite normal and even people you might see yourself be friends with. The only difference is that they happened to find a reason good enough to steal and you were put in charge of directly stopping that theft.

We're all victims of circumstance, yourself included. Know that you're strong enough to be where you are, and to ask for help any time it's required. If you're not comfortable with the situation, let AP or a lead know that you don't want to sit on any apprehensions from now on. You don't need a valid reason to give them other than you're not comfortable with it.

I don't think think I felt bad for any of our apps at target because almost all of them were people stealing shit they didn't need. However, now that I work AP in a grocery store, it's a little more common for me to get cases that I sympathize with. I still catch a lot of boosters who steal just so they can sell/trade the merch for drugs, so I don't feel bad for them. Occasionally I will get people who are stealing small amounts of food and really do seem like they're in need. In those cases, we don't usually prosecute, but instead provide them with information on local charities and food banks, then ban them from the store and cut them loose. I try to think of it as, it's my job to prevent theft, and that's what I have to do. I feel bad for these people but that doesn't mean I'm going to let them walk off with stuff that doesn't belong to them just because. I really like my stores procedure because I (1) get to help the individual by educating them about local resources and (2) get to help my employer by ensuring that no merchandise walks out the door and people who steal don't come back into the store. I might be a little bit of a jerk, but I like to think I'm not completely heartless, even with thieves.

I've apprehended many people, many of them have reasons for doing what they did. Pregnant women that needed money for baby stuff, junkies needing to sell stuff for money, down on their luck people, and people that just liked to steal shit. When AP interviews people, you find that many people are quite normal and even people you might see yourself be friends with. The only difference is that they happened to find a reason good enough to steal and you were put in charge of directly stopping that theft.

We're all victims of circumstance, yourself included. Know that you're strong enough to be where you are, and to ask for help any time it's required. If you're not comfortable with the situation, let AP or a lead know that you don't want to sit on any apprehensions from now on. You don't need a valid reason to give them other than you're not comfortable with it.
Thanks! Yeah, I mean if I'm needed it's fine but it's mainly just sad tbh.

I don't think think I felt bad for any of our apps at target because almost all of them were people stealing shit they didn't need. However, now that I work AP in a grocery store, it's a little more common for me to get cases that I sympathize with. I still catch a lot of boosters who steal just so they can sell/trade the merch for drugs, so I don't feel bad for them. Occasionally I will get people who are stealing small amounts of food and really do seem like they're in need. In those cases, we don't usually prosecute, but instead provide them with information on local charities and food banks, then ban them from the store and cut them loose. I try to think of it as, it's my job to prevent theft, and that's what I have to do. I feel bad for these people but that doesn't mean I'm going to let them walk off with stuff that doesn't belong to them just because. I really like my stores procedure because I (1) get to help the individual by educating them about local resources and (2) get to help my employer by ensuring that no merchandise walks out the door and people who steal don't come back into the store. I might be a little bit of a jerk, but I like to think I'm not completely heartless, even with thieves.
It was more they reminded me of my childhood hood with the drug use and stuff...it was not food that was stolen tho (well except one back of chips)...

It was more they reminded me of my childhood hood with the drug use and stuff...it was not food that was stolen tho (well except one back of chips)...
You have decided to try and break that pattern. Its so hard the first generation out of alcoholism. I'd hug you through the screen if I could. The hardest part is learning to recognize the addictive personality in other things once you take the booze away. To work on healthy relationships and interactions. You can do it. There are lots of resources to help. If this makes you uncomfortable or brings up feelings you can't deal with, ask to not be included. There are other people that can sit in. Its important you insulate yourself and deal with things in your own time.

You have decided to try and break that pattern. Its so hard the first generation out of alcoholism. I'd hug you through the screen if I could. The hardest part is learning to recognize the addictive personality in other things once you take the booze away. To work on healthy relationships and interactions. You can do it. There are lots of resources to help. If this makes you uncomfortable or brings up feelings you can't deal with, ask to not be included. There are other people that can sit in. Its important you insulate yourself and deal with things in your own time.
Yeah, it is hard but also in a way easier because I know how my father ended up (died when I was 10). And thank you!

I have people that I deal with that remind me of my life all the time. I grew up in a one parent household in a low income and crime ridden area. A few family members and lots of people I went to high school with or knew growing up have died or are doing serious jail time because of the opioid (primarily heroin) epidemic in my area. I look at some of the people I catch and realize that if I had made a couple decisions differently I could probably be the person getting apprehended rather than the guy doing the apprehension. It sucks but it reminds me of how far I've come from where I was especially where I could have been.

I have people that I deal with that remind me of my life all the time. I grew up in a one parent household in a low income and crime ridden area. A few family members and lots of people I went to high school with or knew growing up have died or are doing serious jail time because of the opioid (primarily heroin) epidemic in my area. I look at some of the people I catch and realize that if I had made a couple decisions differently I could probably be the person getting apprehended rather than the guy doing the apprehension. It sucks but it reminds me of how far I've come from where I was especially where I could have been.
I hear ya, my Dad never admitted he had a problem so for me to admit it is good. Because the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back