Archived the bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope their not using the bathroom on company time. Come on people. Do that on break or lunch. Do you know how much that costs the company every year?

Target has approximately 366,000 employees worldwide. If each employee uses the restroom while on the clock, not on break, just once a week for 5 minutes, that is 30,500 hours. Assuming $5 an hour, and that's waaay low, that is $152,500. And that is only once per week! If each employee found that once a day for 5 days, that is $762,500. A week!

Off the clock people. Off the clock.

That's specifically why I use the bathroom while on the clock (either on break but still clocked in or before clocking out to lunch). I relish in the idea of Spot paying me to whizz.

My LOD is known to write team members up for loafing for using the bathroom outside a lunch or break period. He requires team members to get a doctors note to avoid a write up.

That can be illegal. What an ass. I do know he will go far in Target.
We thought it was illegal too but our STL confrimed it wasn't.

Only if they are in there for an excessive ammount of time...you telling me if i take a leak for 2 minutes i would get written up haha..please.

No but seriously though, if an ETL wrote me up for going to the bathroom outside a lunch or break period, I'd look at them right in the eye and tell them to fuck off. Like if it ever got to that point, where I had to deal with someone that nitpicky, I wouldn't care about going directly to final warning.

If an ETL tried to write me up for going to the bathroom I'd use their office trash can next time. My bladder and kidneys are not in the best of shape and once every few months other stuff starts to leak too.

Last edited:
Once we had a etl log who told the flow team they were not to leave the line for anything ( while unloading truck) one flow team member asked what if we have to run to the bathroom....she then proudly said...we sell Depends in HBA. .....then when had a team member who had a bad stomach bug but she came work....so she kept leaving softlines( she was pushing over there) to run to the bathroom....yet again this etl log told her if she left again she would be in trouble. So, the girl asked her what am I suppose to do vomit on the floor, the etl told her get a trash bag. So, that's what she did..... needless to say after that the etl.log didn't advise anyone to vomit in a trash bag

I remember, a few yrs back, an auto maker getting sued by female employees for limiting their bathroom breaks.
There were stories of women getting humiliated by supervisors, harassed whenever they went to the restroom, getting written up for frequent visits if it was their 'time of the month', women developing UTIs from holding it so long, peeing/soiling themselves (& suffering additional humiliation of having to go change).
There were enough women that I believe it was granted class-action status.
The women won because no one should be forced to give up their health & personal dignity.

There was a lawsuit by telephone operators (back in the days when such a thing existed) because when they went to the bathroom they had to put a dunce cap on top of their station so it could be seen clear across the huge office and the manager would set a timer.
If you weren't back in three minutes you would be charged off on your pay.

We have two restrooms, one for guest and one in the backroom. I'd rather us the public restroom. It's odd being in the backroom and seeing TM after TM come from the same bathroom- I don't want to know who the seat is still warm from.:confused:

There was a lawsuit by telephone operators (back in the days when such a thing existed) because when they went to the bathroom they had to put a dunce cap on top of their station so it could be seen clear across the huge office and the manager would set a timer.
If you weren't back in three minutes you would be charged off on your pay.

No I don't agree with docking pay. But the nature of the job, people had to know the station the person handled was out of service. In the old days a sign was a sign.

I have known operators that go back to the hand switch days. the flag, dunce cap something was used to flag that operator out of service.

My LOD is known to write team members up for loafing for using the bathroom outside a lunch or break period. He requires team members to get a doctors note to avoid a write up.

Contact OSHA and he will see just how unlawful it is. OSHA regulations forbid employers from denying restroom use to their employees in situations where it does not cause undue hardship to the employer. If this is occurring at your work an OSHA officer can levy severe financial penalties against Target and your STL would be finding new employment.

Contact OSHA and he will see just how unlawful it is. OSHA regulations forbid employers from denying restroom use to their employees in situations where it does not cause undue hardship to the employer. If this is occurring at your work an OSHA officer can levy severe financial penalties against Target and your STL would be finding new employment.

People really need to take to heart "Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see." STL is full of shit and worse people believe him.

People really need to take to heart "Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see." STL is full of shit and worse people believe him.
A lot of Target leadership is cruel or faulty to the core. Mine says I work too slow EVEN though me as well as he don't take ANY breaks! We work right next to each other yet and I work hard while he is writing email complaints about me for my next performance review! he says that I should work faster but he pretends that he doesn't see or pay attention. Now he says each duty will be timed to less than 15 which is ridiculous. I sometimes have to hold it to get done on time! The ETL loves him and is just as cruel and inconsiderate as he is. I don't want to quit yet even though I dread going to work each day but I feel I should talk to the district person first and let him know everything that has been going on. If i do that though then I'd surely have to turn in because then the ETL and the other guy will hate working with me and might make it more unbearable or worse the district person will AGREE with everything the ETL and the other guy say and do! I dont know what to do and feel so trapped! Oh and both are pretend sweet meaning they will never be rude to a higher up but will be rude to other people they work with.

Last edited:
My leadership team yesterday started doing punch corrections (clocking them out) for team members who are caught using the restroom during there non break or lunch. Some team member bought up that OSHA law. The leadership team claims that We will allowed to use the restroom when ever we want but we will be clocked out for it. Our ETLs are requesting that we nofiy our TL or LOD when we use the restroom so they can do the punch correction. They claim future write ups will only occur for failure to report your restroom break. My store has a serious restroom problem .

My leadership team yesterday started doing punch corrections (clocking them out) for team members who are caught using the restroom during there non break or lunch. Some team member bought up that OSHA law. The leadership team claims that We will allowed to use the restroom when ever we want but we will be clocked out for it. Our ETLs are requesting that we nofiy our TL or LOD when we use the restroom so they can do the punch correction. They claim future write ups will only occur for failure to report your restroom break. My store has a serious restroom problem .
I think this is illegal. A break less than 20 minutes must be paid and counted as hours worked. If they're doing punch corrections for this then there is a giant paper trail for an OSHA officer to dig through and slap your store with fines. I personally wouldn't threaten them with this, they may retaliate. Just report them and watch it all go to hell.

I think this is illegal. A break less than 20 minutes must be paid and counted as hours worked. If they're doing punch corrections for this then there is a giant paper trail for an OSHA officer to dig through and slap your store with fines. I personally wouldn't threaten them with this, they may retaliate. Just report them and watch it all go to hell.
I live in a state were paid lunch and breaks arnt required.

Even so, under federal labor laws rest breaks < 20 minutes must be paid. This covers all states no matter how anti-worker their labor laws are.

Even so, under federal labor laws rest breaks < 20 minutes must be paid. This covers all states no matter how anti-worker their labor laws are.
I guess my store has found a loop hole

Sounds more like they're breaking the law, and are fucked when/if it gets reported than that they found any sort of loophole.

I guess my store has found a loop hole
Sounds more like they're breaking the law, and are fucked when/if it gets reported than that they found any sort of loophole.
^^^this^^^

You report them, everyone that had anything to do with this is getting fired and the store is getting fined. Everyone will probably get back pay too. There is no loophole, any rest break less than 20 minutes MUST BE PAID.

Just go here: https://www.osha.gov/as/opa/worker/complain.html and follow the instructions.

Me on channel one: Guys this is Kitty I have to poop. Since you are makeing me clock out i am not going to waste time washing my hands.

Many employers provide employees with a rest or lunch break, whether paid or unpaid. This common practice is not required everywhere, however: The federal wage and hour law, called the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), doesn't require employers to provide meal or rest breaks. Some states have stepped into the breach to require such breaks, but others have not.

If you get meal or rest breaks, your employer doesn't have to pay you for that time unless:

• your state's law requires paid rest breaks (see "State Laws on Rest Breaks," below)
  • you have to work through your break, or
  • your break lasts 20 minutes or less; generally, these shorter breaks are considered part of your work day and must be paid.
State Laws on Rest Breaks
Only a handful of states -- California, Colorado, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington -- currently require employers to allow employees to take rest breaks. With the exception of Minnesota and Vermont, which simply requires employers to give employees enough break time to use the restroom,

Wouldn't the loop hole be that Target does provide "paid" breaks. For example you get two 15's if you work 8 hours. You going to the restroom is not part of your "offical" break. So it shouldnt be paid. Thats the way my TL explained it to me.

Many employers provide employees with a rest or lunch break, whether paid or unpaid. This common practice is not required everywhere, however: The federal wage and hour law, called the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), doesn't require employers to provide meal or rest breaks. Some states have stepped into the breach to require such breaks, but others have not.

If you get meal or rest breaks, your employer doesn't have to pay you for that time unless:

• your state's law requires paid rest breaks (see "State Laws on Rest Breaks," below)
  • your break lasts 20 minutes or less; generally, these shorter breaks are considered part of your work day and must be paid.
Only a handful of states -- California, Colorado, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington -- currently require employers to allow employees to take rest breaks. With the exception of Minnesota and Vermont, which simply requires employers to give employees enough break time to use the restroom,

Wouldn't the loop hole be that Target does provide "paid" breaks. For example you get two 15's if you work 8 hours. You going to the restroom is not part of your "offical" break. So it shouldnt be paid. Thats the way my TL explained it to me.
That's ridiculous. I'd be surprised if this TL is older and American because I feel Target hires a lot of foreigners whose first job in America is at Target and puts them up in the TL or ETL position and feel the unethical and unlawful things Target TL's and ETL's do is right for them because that is the way things are done in their countries. If you have diahrrehea or must urinate frequently you can't go to this TL and ask for permission everytime you use the bathroom. These sorts of things must be notified to the appropriate department and not the HR ETL because most likely they will agree with this TL. It's no wonder they are so anti union.

I still think you should call OSHA and just ask them if this is legal. They are better experts than anyone on this forum and can tell you if what your store is doing is legal. Don't ever take any answers from TLs or HR as fact if they are labor related and seem fishy like this. HR is ALWAYS on the side of the employer, remember who writes their paychecks.

From what I understand, unless you're spending more than 20 minutes in the bathroom that break MUST be paid. No exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back